Notices

Thread: * The Scale of the Universe

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. Re: * The Scale of the Universe 
    Banned
    My take on things after a lifetime of trying to work out WTF I'm doing here is that there is no god, religions are just BS used to control people. ie if you don't do as it says in this book you will go to hell and spend the rest of eternity burning and having red hot pokers shoved up your arse by some big red horny chap, but remember god loves you. Yea right :-/

We are co-creators, we create the world around us, if people focus on war the there will be war. TPTB know this and use the media amongst other things to direct our minds into the directions they want to achieve for their benefit not ours.

Like I said I don't believe in god but you're free to do so if it suits you.
    See you on the other side 8-)

2. Re: * The Scale of the Universe 
    Diamond Member
    I don't believe in God, but I do believe in aliens - I keep telling everyone Stonehenge is just an old landing site ;D ;D

3. Re: * The Scale of the Universe 
    Quote Originally Posted by smellygerm
    [quote author=Squashed_Fly link=1331718381/14#14 date=1331737959]
    my colossus doesn't make me weird :P
    [/quote]

agreed...its your weirdness that makes you weird!

don't really believe in god and science has its place alongside religion but i do believe in the devil... :-/
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

4. Re: * The Scale of the Universe 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    I don't believe in God, but I do believe in aliens - I keep telling everyone Stonehenge is just an old landing site ;D ;D
    Works for me

5. Re: * The Scale of the Universe 
    Diamond Member
    I think there may be millions of closet atheists out there who are in denial to protect their insurance policies. “Hedging their bets” just in case the Big Man (Woman for the PC brigade) does exist and gives them a raw deal when their time comes.

In my personal opinion capitalism is a far greater evil and threat to man’s existence than religion.

Indoctrination of capitalism begins at pre-school age with targeted advertising during children’s hour and continues throughout our childhood and into adulthood.

I like to imagine that an intelligent compassionate life-form does exist somewhere in the universe. What would they make of planet earth?

"These humans spend billions on weapons to kill each other and a pittance in comparison on preventing starvation and suffering of their own kind.” They worship at the altar of profit whilst their brothers and sisters perish, but they believe the capitalist Gods will be their saviours.”

I’ve seen the light. :P

6. Re: * The Scale of the Universe 
    ;D ;D God..gods ?? :-?

Have you ever heard of Pascal's Wager ?

If you are interested to find out just Google it

I need amusement in my sad life and it looks, very much, like you fit this requirement admirably..............begin the amusement!!!!!

7. Re: * The Scale of the Universe 
    Diamond Member
    Pascal was a wise man it would seem.

people who don't believe in any form of god, quote science like it's all fact - someone even mentioned that persistent idiot Richard Dawkins. How many things can we do now, that at some point in history, science said we couldn't? Surely that alone disproves the science of FACT? Fact simply means, what we know right now, based on the number of outcomes we have seen so far in history. The second we find a way to get a new outcome, it blows previous facts, and theories out of the water...

Are we really so arrogant, to belive that our generation has all the answers and can't be proved wrong? That there will be no new discoveries in the future that will rock the foundations of what we thing on certain subjects?

I think Matt Damon had it right in Dogma, when he said people should never have beliefs, they should have ideas. An idea can be changed, shaped & moulded with time and experience. Beliefs, tend to be set in stone, and people stick to them so rigidly, they are prepared to lay down theirs, and other peoples lives to protect them.

8. Re: * The Scale of the Universe 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    Pascal was a wise man it would seem.

people who don't believe in any form of god, quote science like it's all fact - someone even mentioned that persistent idiot Richard Dawkins. How many things can we do now, that at some point in history, science said we couldn't? Surely that alone disproves the science of FACT? Fact simply means, what we know right now, based on the number of outcomes we have seen so far in history. The second we find a way to get a new outcome, it blows previous facts, and theories out of the water...

Are we really so arrogant, to belive that our generation has all the answers and can't be proved wrong? That there will be no new discoveries in the future that will rock the foundations of what we thing on certain subjects?

I think Matt Damon had it right in Dogma, when he said people should never have beliefs, they should have ideas. An idea can be changed, shaped & moulded with time and experience. Beliefs, tend to be set in stone, and people stick to them so rigidly, they are prepared to lay down theirs, and other peoples lives to protect them.
    You mock science, then quote Matt Damon mocking faith, you make no sense at all.

9. Re: * The Scale of the Universe 
    Diamond Member
    I didn't mock science, neither does MD mock faith. I just said science is as uncertain as religion. Science is only as good as the last set of results... We're constantly finding ways to do things previously thought impossible in science.

Not really sure how having ideas about God that can be changed with what you find out about him, is any less of a show of faith than blindly believing what's in an old book written centuries ago. Faith is about what you experience of God. You have to take the comments Matt Damons character says in context of the rest of the film. But I just like the idea that if more peoples faith was based on their own relationships with God, and not on what they interpret from their holy books, then there would be far fewer wars fought in the name of religion.

Man has an inability to not fight over something. Religion, football, love etc. Anything that evokes strong emotions brings out mens need to fight for something. Religion is blamed on lots of wars, and rightly so. But then football is apparently the reason the many hooligans fight. It's all bollocks - men just aren't happy (in the main) unless they are fighting for something. It's in our nature - we are all animals underneath this civillised exterior...

10. Re: * The Scale of the Universe 
    Platinum Member
    " I didn't mock science, neither does MD mock faith. I just said science is as uncertain as religion. Science is only as good as the last set of results... We're constantly finding ways to do things previously thought impossible in science."

That is the beauty of scientific theories, they evolve, beliefs or faiths in sky fairies don't.

How old do you think the earth is SF? Billions of years, evolution is a theory, which is now fact, you can't dispute it, but there is no mention of it in your book? God didn't create ****, there is no god, he created man in his own image, but thought he'd feck around with dinosaurs first, then fish, then mammals, then neanderthals etc etc It's a book written 2000 years ago, by people who knew no better, we know a lot better now.

Which God do you believe in anyway? Not the Islamic god, or the jewish god, or the bhuddist god, or the hindu god etc i'll wager?

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."