Notices

Thread: * The Scale of the Universe

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Re: * The Scale of the Universe 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch9128
    [quote author=dan_geoghegan link=1331718381/6#6 date=1331727297]I don't believe in god but when I got into a tank slapper at 90mph, on the wrong side of the road with a lorry coming towards me there was only 1 'person' I was asking for help and it wasn't Charles Darwin.
    Superman?[/quote]

No, SMELLYGERM 8-)

2. Re: * The Scale of the Universe 
    Diamond Member
    What about all of the other scientific 'facts' that have been disproven with the advancements of technology and historical knowledge? It was once a fact that man couldn't fly, or that the world was flat (not strictly true that one, only a small minority actually believed that). There are well researched scientists now that still believe Darwin to be incorrect, and have their own facts and theories as to why.

The simple answer is none of us know the truth or facts. We believe what we believe based on our own experiences and what we are told. Every scientific fact is the outcome of results that have shown that to be true. But in an infinate universe, an infinite number of outcomes is possible, which means eventually, if you had long enough, every fact could be disproved with evidence.

Religion and beliefs, whether in God or Darwin (or anything else) is a deeply personal thing and will be different for everone based on what they have experienced.

That's why I love the bit at the end of Miracle on 34th Street. Very few people when faced with inevitable death, don't pray for some kind of help or salvation... I read that in an article written by someone who used to be an executioner, who found it strange that these hard men had no faith, yet ultimately something inside them made them turn to God when they felt absolutely nothing else could save them...

This is quite an interesting thread... I'm curious to hear other peoples thoughts, so long as they aren't derogatory to anyone elses...

3. Re: * The Scale of the Universe 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smellygerm
    [quote author=Mitch9128 link=1331718381/8#8 date=1331731631][quote author=dan_geoghegan link=1331718381/6#6 date=1331727297]I don't believe in god but when I got into a tank slapper at 90mph, on the wrong side of the road with a lorry coming towards me there was only 1 'person' I was asking for help and it wasn't Charles Darwin.
    Superman?[/quote]

No, SMELLYGERM 8-)[/quote]

Is that because you wear your pants on the outside? ;D

4. Re: * The Scale of the Universe 
    nah he just takes his clothes off in phoneboxes...
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

5. Re: * The Scale of the Universe 
    Diamond Member
    I didn't get round to watching that documentary....

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/m...ex-secrets/4od

6. Re: * The Scale of the Universe 
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabz
    nah he just takes his clothes off in phoneboxes...
    Hasn't he been cautioned about that???? ;D
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

7. Re: * The Scale of the Universe 
    Platinum Member
    See, i believe, believing in sky fairies is helping to stunt scientific advancement, stopping the poor in some countries living, it's killing people worldwide every day. It makes me angry seeing the hugely wealthy RC church pray for the starving millions in Africa, when if they only got off their arses, they could feed them. Prayer, easier than actually doing something, one day we will end religion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon...donbrain.shtml

8. Re: * The Scale of the Universe 
    Diamond Member
    I'm with you there. I can't stand religion - it's just a set of rules, designed to control and causes wars because man can't cope with faith and trusts unquestioningly.

Confusing faith, and religion, is something most people do. I have faith, but I'm not religious. I don't use what I believe as a big stick to make other people do what I want, or see things my way (I have the forum for that! ;D )

Of course, there could be no such thing as God - perhaps it's all aliens?

9. Re: * The Scale of the Universe 
    or SmellyGerm in his underpats????
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

10. Re: * The Scale of the Universe 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    I didn't get round to watching that documentary....

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/m...ex-secrets/4od
    U said not to be derogatory to my bellbreifs , just because People worship my colossus doesn't make me weird
    Ps. Please make donations payable to SMELLYGERM toligy. Condomxxxl :P