Notices

Thread: * The Scale of the Universe

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
  1. Re: * The Scale of the Universe 
    Diamond Member
    If you're asking me personally, I believe that they are all the same God. And I do believe in evolution. I don't know all the ins and outs of how and why are here, nor do I believe that god just created man and we were here from the start. The world in 7 days was mans way of making sense of what he didn't understand back then. That's why I dont take the bible literally word for word.

But the idea of there being something that's bigger than all of us, and living our lives in way not to cause suffering to others etc, is something I do take from it. Like I said at the start, it's personal to everyone.

Too many people believe in something, for it to be just be imaginary 'sky fairies' in my opinion. But I respect other peoples opinions, even if I dont agree wth all of them. I'm jus careful about quoting theories, no matter how probable, as facts when you never know if we might find something out tomorrow, that we don't know today, that disproves it...

2. Re: * The Scale of the Universe 
    Platinum Member
    "Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."

Just because lot's of people believe in gods, it doesn't follow that educated people should, it's sheep mentality. A quick look around the world shows where religion is most prevalent, middle age backwaters and 3rd world countries with no education, oh and America.

Anyway, here's something we should try, you have a problem with science, let's test gravity? You jump out of a 20th floor window, and we'll discuss the theory of gravity afterwards

3. Re: * The Scale of the Universe 
    I think SF has a very good point here.
    It's all too easy to mock religion and pick holes in it (and there are a lot of holes in it) but if you question science you're seen as being ignorant.

We've barely scratched the surface of the "rules" or the universe.
    I think it's ignorant the think we've got all the answers.

Having said that I seriously doubt that we're going to suddenly discover that the Bible was real.

Religion is a comfort thing born out of Man's need for answers to the unexplainable.

4. Re: * The Scale of the Universe 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch9128
    " but thought he'd feck around with dinosaurs first, then fish,
    Fish were here before dinosaurs

5. Re: * The Scale of the Universe 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch9128
    "Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."

Just because lot's of people believe in gods, it doesn't follow that educated people should, it's sheep mentality. A quick look around the world shows where religion is most prevalent, middle age backwaters and 3rd world countries with no education, oh and America.

Anyway, here's something we should try, you have a problem with science, let's test gravity? You jump out of a 20th floor window, and we'll discuss the theory of gravity afterwards
    I must say this is as bigoted view as held by the religious people you critisise. We are all people of this planet, we should all learn to live together as one and accept our differences in physical appearance, belief and sexuality. This kind of agressive "I'm right" approach does nothing to further human endevour, rather holds it back.

It is not a religion which determines a person's outlook, it is the person's own thoughts which determine this.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

6. Re: * The Scale of the Universe 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossio
    [quote author=Mitch9128 link=1331718381/49#49 date=1331891281]" but thought he'd feck around with dinosaurs first, then fish,
    Fish were here before dinosaurs [/quote]

They weren't fish, merely water borne dinosaurs :

7. Re: * The Scale of the Universe 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    [quote author=Mitch9128 link=1331718381/51#51 date=1331898212]"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."

I must say this is as bigoted view as held by the religious people you critisise. We are all people of this planet, we should all learn to live together as one and accept our differences in physical appearance, belief and sexuality. This kind of agressive "I'm right" approach does nothing to further human endevour, rather holds it back.

It is not a religion which determines a person's outlook, it is the person's own thoughts which determine this.[/quote]

Physical appearance, belief and sexuality are all fine with me, belief in fictional characters, invented thousands of years ago, is pushing the boundaries. Read what SF wrote again, it is typical of the god botherers attitude to science, trying to hold progress back. Where what i have wrote is bigoted?

8. Re: * The Scale of the Universe 
    People believe in what people believe. If Sf does not believe in evolution or to believe in god then that is his choice. I'd say that any extreme attitude holds progress back, not just the attitude of the religious.

You seem to forget that the anglican church embraced Darwin's theories and that the firs man to seriously study dinosaurs (William Buckland) was a minister of the church.

It is the open minded who progress humanity and the close minded who hold it back.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

9. Re: * The Scale of the Universe 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    People believe in what people believe. If Sf does not believe in evolution or to believe in god then that is his choice. I'd say that any extreme attitude holds progress back, not just the attitude of the religious.

You seem to forget that the anglican church embraced Darwin's theories and that the firs man to seriously study dinosaurs (William Buckland) was a minister of the church.

It is the open minded who progress humanity and the close minded who hold it back.
    You seem to be trying to stop me questioning SF's belief's, but not trying to stop SF questioning my faith in science? Why is that?

William Buckland studied dinosaurs, yes, and?

"We should be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brain falls out."

Still waiting for you to validate your claim i am bigoted?

10. Re: * The Scale of the Universe 
    I give up. SF is not the one on the attack. If he was, I would question him.

You prove my point with every post you make on this subject. You views on religion will never change. You tar all religion with the same brush and are proud to do so.

As to William buckland, he was a man of God, a minister, but was prepared to look at somthing that seriously challenged his view and use logic to come to a conclusion that was to him, amazing.