I am a believer in science too. However i dont have a problem if people find comfort in a little baby Jesus, or Krishna, or Allah or anything else.. I only have a problem when this is then used as a tool to control and brainwash, commit crimes against humanity etc etc etc
I suppose religion has been useful to give people something to believe in; and probably for a lot of people this gave them something to hold on to in times of despair, gave life a meaning etc and through our history religion has played an enormous part in controlling people but maybe also implementing certain rules...which were necessary for people to live in societies.. I guess people had to be fearful of some retribution in order to follow rules..
A political , social and economical tool.. a powerful one too when combined with lack of education and the mob factor.. I think i am quite spiritual but not a religious person, despite and maybe because of a religious upbringing !
Yes if i understand what sf meant, i agree private personal beliefs should be respected, but I always had a profound disgust and contempt for institutionalised religion, its hypocrisy. I suppose i am speaking mainly of Catholicism, of i have the best knowledge.