Notices

Thread: Can you remember when fuel was 89p a litre?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Re: Can you remember when fuel was 89p a litre? 
    I remember when diesel was 64p a litre... remember that well, it was February 2004, when I moved from Portugal to England!

2. Re: Can you remember when fuel was 89p a litre? 
    Central heating oil is now 64p a litre. >
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

3. Re: Can you remember when fuel was 89p a litre? 
    Platinum Member
    I used to drive from Greenham common to Bulford every morning, and i can vividly recall driving past a petrol stn near the A303, and seeing 97p a gallon, i swore i'd give up driving when it went over £1 a gallon...this wasn't back in the 1800's either, i'm talking 92/93.

4. Re: Can you remember when fuel was 89p a litre? 
    That Texaco on Magic R/about is creeping his prices up ....now Premium £1.55 ...cheeky twat :P

I have shoite memory but am I right that petrol was per gallon cheaper than a pint a beer in the dim distant past....seem to think there was some moaning when it got to 10 d/old money per gallon and beer was somat like 9 d/ 10 d 1970 ?? ish

ya ya ya those were the days ya ya ya !!!!!!
    I need amusement in my sad life and it looks, very much, like you fit this requirement admirably..............begin the amusement!!!!!

5. Re: Can you remember when fuel was 89p a litre? 
    About 3 years ago I gave up my job in Devizes and got a job in Chippenham so now Cycle to work. All my petrol is now used for pleasure riding/driving.
    Last year my old firm tried to get me back and offered me 3 grand more money.
    Work out all the travel costs and fuel and it was not worth it.

Back in the 70's there was a "One" pound note slot machine on a petrol pump in a garage in calne.

This photo was from 1981.

6. Re: Can you remember when fuel was 89p a litre? 
    Diamond Member
    Del, I owned his little brother at the exact same time, GS550E - same colour too.

7. Re: Can you remember when fuel was 89p a litre? 
    Banned
    Painted in tyre letters 8-)

8. Re: Can you remember when fuel was 89p a litre? 
    Buy your fuel in Warminster - Morrisons or the garage out on the old Weymouth road - 5p a litre cheaper than Melksham last week

I can remember hanging out the window of the family car holiday whilst my brother and sister chose their latest Smurfs - 75p a gallon!

Going metric helped push the price up as we all stopped worrying about how much a gallon and just put in £5/£10 or whatever, price goes up you put fuel in more often. Also once it broke the £1.00 a litre barrier and the grumbling died down it sort of became acceptible. Time to burn a few sheep .....

9. Re: Can you remember when fuel was 89p a litre? 
    Quote Originally Posted by wesrrw
    I remember when it was around 76p a gallon and you used to be able to pay a bit extra, around 5p for a shot of redex at the attended pump
    I used to work in a garage in Trowbridge back in 1979/80 when it was about 76p per gallon. Redex was either a penny or two pence a shot (you were being robbed) Two stoke oil was 5p a shot. I used to get paid about 45 pence per hour

The old mechanic sometimes gave me a lift in his Austin van which had a crank handle. Ahh Ye good Olde days

10. Re: Can you remember when fuel was 89p a litre? 
    Quote Originally Posted by monday21
    Del, I owned his little brother at the exact same time, GS550E - same colour too.
    Same here had the 550e with panniers. Lovely bike