Notices

Thread: Any one going to the olympics?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: Any one going to the olympics? 
    Crosbie

5 hours to get to Stratford hummmmm :-? Where are you based?
    It's Lilac... not pink!

2. Re: Any one going to the olympics? 
    Banned
    Each to their own but I wouldn't go even if I was given a VIP seat

3. Re: Any one going to the olympics? 
    I have a nasty feeling that terrorists will target the Olympics, in London with the eyes of the world on it, spells trouble to me.

4. Re: Any one going to the olympics? 
    Banned
    More likely to be a false flag attack

5. Re: Any one going to the olympics? 
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieD
    Crosbie

5 hours to get to Stratford hummmmm :-? Where are you based?
    You and I and everyone elses knows 5 hours is utter Bo > ox but according to the olympics train booking system thats how long it will take me to get there from Trowbridge where as at the moment i can get in within 2 hours i believe...

Swanny, I have tickets for hockey as I play hockey myself and do have a genuine interest. Its not like im going to watch the ladies syncro swimming just to have a perv : The coverage on TV wont be as good as seeing it on the pitch for me.

6. Re: Any one going to the olympics? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosbie
    ...Its not like im going to watch the ladies syncro swimming just to have a perv :
    Perv is such a strong word Officer - I would describe it more as

An appreciation of the Female form...

7. Re: Any one going to the olympics? 
    No. Watching it on the box. Far cheaper, morwe comfy and get a better view!!!!

Bring on the rowing......
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

8. Re: Any one going to the olympics? 
    Going with the wife and two kids to the Olympics! Couldnt face the whole in and out of London thing - especially since its east London and thats a nightmare on an average day!

Nah, cheated and got tickets to the sailing down at Weymouth! Bit of an ex-sailor myself (many years ago) and I am reliably told that the facilities there are excellent and its cleverly setup for spectators.

....and there is parking....

;D

9. Re: Any one going to the olympics? 
    Diamond Member
    Wasn’t going to go, but a club mate of mine, Phil Marsh, still has the chance to be selected for Mens Epee (Fencing) think it’s between him and our current number one ranked guy. Philip is only young (think 17) but he’s been fencing like a demon in the last twelve months.

It’s funny, three years ago, he was just another lad who was a bit tidy and I used to try to encourage, two years ago I could still beat him as long as I gave it 100% effort, a year ago he was beating me more than I beat him. Last time we fought, he beat me 15-2 !
    He’s now the Junior World epee Champion and British Senior epee Champion - nice lad too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHCjEmBnGRk

Phil has an unusual style (same as mine) where we hold the very end of the handle (called a pommel) it gives an extra 3-4” in length but you lose almost all of the grip (we are often lovingly known as “cheating pommelling bastards“) This means you need to fence with no blade contact , otherwise your opponent just bashes your blade out of your hand and stabs you.
    It can be very effective but makes for crap spectator value.

Epee fencing (as opposed to foil or sabre) is based on duelling, everything’s the target, toe to head, and no rules of engagement. He who hits first wins the point, end of. There are no points for style (thank God) or the way you do it (as ina duel) !
    Great fun...