Notices

Thread: Any one going to the olympics?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Any one going to the olympics? 
    as the title say's! me and the missus are and iv just tryed booking our train tickets - what a hash job is all i can say. not a simple process, nothing is clear, nothing ties up. I suspect the whole of the olympics will be very similar but we shall see.... Any way, after giving up trying to book train tickets i started wondering ---- could going on the bike be a better option all round? iv tryed googling and searching the olympics webs site but nothing is said about it.
    Is anyone else going on their bike. if so what are you going to watch and where do you anticipate parking?

Cheers.
    Crosbie.

2. Re: Any one going to the olympics? 
    Simple reply No No No

3. Re: Any one going to the olympics? 
    I heard on the radio earlier that there is no parking at the venues so you should go by public transport. They did mention a website to arrange travel but I can't remember it I'm afraid :-/

4. Re: Any one going to the olympics? 
    Diamond Member
    I applied for a job in the gym

5. Re: Any one going to the olympics? 
    Diamond Member
    look on TFL's website, or get in touch with them if it's no help (which knowing anything public sector, it probably won't be!)

6. Re: Any one going to the olympics? 
    Train booking are normally released 6-8 weeks in advance.
    Have you considered national express or mega Bus?
    As Hazel said there is no public parking at the venues (except I expect disabled parking)
    You could bike up and then find somewhere to park bike and then use public transport across London, but that would mean either leaving your kit somewhere like a main line station, i.e Euston, Paddington left luggage or carting it round with you.
    Underground, DLR is at the best of times busy, I suspect it will be manic come the Olympics, you wouldn't want to be carrying anything that isn't neccessary (plus could be a vicious rumour but I think spectators are being asked to restrict the amount of bags they have with them)
    Is there not any information with your tickets?
    It's Lilac... not pink!

7. Re: Any one going to the olympics? 
    You could save lots of money, time and effort and just watch it on the TV.

8. Re: Any one going to the olympics? 
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieD
    Train booking are normally released 6-8 weeks in advance.
    Have you considered national express or mega Bus?
    As Hazel said there is no public parking at the venues (except I expect disabled parking)
    You could bike up and then find somewhere to park bike and then use public transport across London, but that would mean either leaving your kit somewhere like a main line station, i.e Euston, Paddington left luggage or carting it round with you.
    Underground, DLR is at the best of times busy, I suspect it will be manic come the Olympics, you wouldn't want to be carrying anything that isn't neccessary (plus could be a vicious rumour but I think spectators are being asked to restrict the amount of bags they have with them)
    Is there not any information with your tickets?

I know its a different venue but a colleague went to Wembley on Sunday with some wheelchair users.....nearest parking was a mile away...........Hopefully the Olympic stadium will have better facilities for disabled people !!

9. Re: Any one going to the olympics? 
    No I'm not but I can recommend a good psychiatrist ;D

10. Re: Any one going to the olympics? 
    OH.... lol. I was hoping someone else would be going on the bike so i wouldnt feel like its an insaine idea. Obviously is...

Jacde, the emails from the Olympics people has links to a speacial site where you can book everything in advance before national rail - only problem is one page has a train time leaving at 7.30am arriving at 12.45 (the train i want) click the link and a new page loads which then displays the earliest time of some time way after 8am which gets me in too late for the event. This is what i mean about a hash job. If they can get the website and train times right how the hell can they expect to run a whole olympics?!?! My Tickets for the event havent been delivered yet either and none of the emails give you an indication of when you will get them. :

To go on national express would be like crossing the atlantic on a rowing boat! ;D its bad enough that the train journey is estimated to be circa 5 hours

The use of public transport just frustrates me - why would any one want to pay stupid money to get on a train which is crammed, hot and generally not a great place to be and likely to be late. the truth is no one wants to but we are forced but thats a whole different subject :-X lol.

I think i will wait till national rail's site lets you book tickets and see what they come up with (not being associated with the government i suspect it will be a little more accurate! ;D and for the moment go on the basis that i will go on the bike with plently of time to spare.