Notices

Thread: England Manager

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. England Manager 
    Roy Hodgson is expected to be confirmed as England manager on Tuesday after a 'positive' meeting at the Football Association. What do we make of that? my main worry is that he did not seem to cope very well with the pressure at Liverpool.

2. Re: England Manager 
    being the England manager is a raw deal, if you don't get the players behind you and stuff it up, even if its only one mistake, pundits will spend a life time picking your decision apart to expose a flaw yet if you do succeed and lead them to glory (i can dream ) then all future achievements are compared to it and it always sounds to me like their saying "he's doing well, but not as good as when he managed England....Blah Blah Blah etc.... Just my 5p worth
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

3. Re: England Manager 
    The other thing to consider is are England as good as a lot of the pundits think they are?.. I think not.

A job that can only end one way I think (and that's not good.) A hiding to nothing in my humble opinion.

4. Re: England Manager 
    it would be good to see some remarkable football from us for a change but i always feel lately that because we're expected to play poorly, that we kinda live up to the expectation, we need a manager that drives the players and gets that fire stoking again, different tack slighty but i thought Ossie Ardiles was a cracking manager and pushed the town and that is the sort of 'passion' england need yet we're being portrayed as middle of the road players...meh they'll turn up but won't hang around long
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

5. Re: England Manager 
    Diamond Member
    The job is a poison challace. He has had some experience at international level. Finland, UAE & Switzerland : hardly world beaters.
    The man for me was Stuart Pearce, coached the under 21's & as they get older some will become part of the senior squad if not already. You can't knock Pyscho Pearce for passion.

6. Re: England Manager 
    Like Monster Stu has already said, its a poisoned chalice. The media will be on his back from day 1 and every selection, decision, loss, draw, win will be scrutinised by armchair experts. He may have international experience but has he ever won anything of substance. He couldn't handle the pressure at Liverpool, although he managed them when they were in total turmoil and almost on the verge of administration, so how will he handle being England manager, probably the most pressurised footballing job in the world.

Is Hodgson really the best we could come up with??????

7. Re: England Manager 
    Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaDog
    Like Monster Stu has already said, its a poisoned chalice. The media will be on his back from day 1 and every selection, decision, loss, draw, win will be scrutinised by armchair experts. He may have international experience but has he ever won anything of substance. He couldn't handle the pressure at Liverpool, although he managed them when they were in total turmoil and almost on the verge of administration, so how will he handle being England manager, probably the most pressurised footballing job in the world.

Is Hodgson really the best we could come up with??????
    Whether he is the 'best' they could come up with - only time will tell. It's probably win-win for him, no doubt he has made as much money via termination of contracts, as he has through actually managing.

You got to wish him luck - even if he has Bristol C*ity connections! [utg]. He did do well in Scandanavia, but missed the prize at Inter. Since then he has never really seemed to do it - though his spell at Fulham was useful, and his West Brom tenure has placed them top Midlands side.

Let's hope he can bring fortune to England - Capello and Maclaren (and the incumbents all the way back to Graham Taylor) have fallen short (i blame the squad for most of the missed success).

8. Re: England Manager 
    Diamond Member
    As a keen supporter of the “Beautiful game” I don’t think there is anything wrong with footie fans having high expectations of their respective team. With regard to our National team however, I do believe that sections of the English media hype-up England too much before a big tournament and need to take a reality check.

IMHO I don’t think the best manager in the world could deliver the ultimate prize as things stand at the moment. I just don’t see that there are enough technically gifted English players who look comfortable on the ball, with perhaps the exception of Paul Scholes.

Despite the fact that I’m half Scottish, I would love to be proved wrong though. :-/

9. Re: England Manager 
    time to bring in some new blood to the team but he'll probably rely on the old guard like so many before him

10. Re: England Manager 
    I have maintained high hopes for england in all tournaments over the years and they have never failed to let me down. Doesn't matter if we have a big name high priced manager or appointed someone home grown. So I am not particularly concerned who the figurehead is can he get the over paid prima donnas to play with the same passion we supporters have?