Notices

Thread: Cars M.O.T

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Cars M.O.T 
    Who would have one, took the Peugeot for its annual MOT failed and told the cost would be £500.00, did not see that one coming :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

2. Re: Cars M.O.T 
    take it to motest in hawksworth, it'll pass, regardless of its condition...they don't seem that thorough :-/
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

3. Re: Cars M.O.T 
    Tyres were borderline 4 tyres = £240.00

Discs and pads front = £180.00

Sticking rear brakes strip and clean = £75.00

MOT Around =£50.00

:'( :'(OUCH That hurt Dan

4. Re: Cars M.O.T 
    euro car parts will sort you out cheaper brakes than that.
    kwik fit can do you 4 corners of rubber
    unsticking the rear is 1/2 hr with a mallet, brake cleaner and bit of elbow grease and MOT at motest is £29

wasn't meant as a dig just saying they seem to pass majority of cars regardless of the state their in. i unstuck the rear caliper on my impreza and it was just road salt on the piston. give us the make and model and i'll take a look 'google' at something for you

5. Re: Cars M.O.T 
    Please don't recommend people who are 'not that thorough' It does us no favours - or them if an MOT inspector spots this thread.

I'd rather have someone point out the problems that I had grown accustomed to, than wrap a vehicle up possibly injuring someone or worse. If you don't like the MOT stations quote you can always shop around or DIY, then go back for MOT.

Just my point of view of course.

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

6. Re: Cars M.O.T 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbonnie
    Please don't recommend people who are 'not that thorough' It does us no favours - or them if an MOT inspector spots this thread.

I'd rather have someone point out the problems that I had grown accustomed to, than wrap a vehicle up possibly injuring someone or worse. If you don't like the MOT stations quote you can always shop around or DIY, then go back for MOT.

Just my point of view of course.

BB
    +1 -with the caveat that I can't stand garages that try to rip people off by finding faults that can easily be fixed with said elbow grease & mallet!

We go to Haskins in Wroughton - family owned firm, they're always fair. Jens exhaust looked knackered to me when we last took it in. Most garages would have got £200 out of me, but they told me it was just the outer skin, and it had another 12-18 months left yet.

7. Re: Cars M.O.T 
    Fair points - but i'm not advocating the use of dodgy garages, i only said they don't seem that thorough. Goz can make up his own mind where he takes his car, but i do understand the point your making BB

Agree with you SF, i hate it when you get quoted through the roof with things that are easily fixable.

8. Re: Cars M.O.T 
    I don't think any M.O.T tester is negligent. But some are extremely overzealous. I always give my car to a local mechanic who then takes it to the testing station. They don't take the p*ss then as the mechanic knows the score. Trouble is you need to know a mechanic in the first place.

Bathwick tyres is the cheapest place I know for rubber and they'll even fit tyres if you buy them from the net.

9. Re: Cars M.O.T 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    I don't think any M.O.T tester is negligent. But some are extremely overzealous. I always give my car to a local mechanic who then takes it to the testing station. They don't take the p*ss then as the mechanic knows the score. Trouble is you need to know a mechanic in the first place.

Bathwick tyres is the cheapest place I know for rubber and they'll even fit tyres if you buy them from the net.
    I'm the same in that I have an excellent local mechanic who I use to get the MOT done at the same time as a service. Just gets done whats needed, nothing more nothing less.

I also agree with BB - I would rather know that something is wrong with my car and get it fixed rather than drive around in a death trap. None of my bike's have ever failed an MOT but that one's down to me ;D ;D

10. Re: Cars M.O.T 
    my van failed haha £500

doing myself @ half the price