Notices

Thread: Police "Kettle" Westminster

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Police "Kettle" Westminster 
    Diamond Member
    30,000 police officers marched in London today as their anger over pension reforms boiled over.

2. Re: Police "Kettle" Westminster 
    And your point is???????????

3. Re: Police "Kettle" Westminster 
    What's a pension?? :-?
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

4. Re: Police "Kettle" Westminster 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goz1960
    And your point is???????????
    Do I have to make a point? :-?

5. Re: Police "Kettle" Westminster 
    Ah yes! I've just googled "pension".. apparently it's a regular payment paid to public sector workers after the age of 60 to 65 , subsidised by the taxpayer, so that they can stop work and still be paid a wage.

This is not applicable to private sector workers, they just have to work until they die and keep paying taxes to subsidise the above.

6. Re: Police "Kettle" Westminster 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by python
    Ah yes! I've just googled "pension".. apparently it's a regular payment paid to public sector workers after the age of 60 to 65 , subsidised by the taxpayer, so that they can stop work and still be paid a wage.

This is not applicable to private sector workers, they just have to work until they die and keep paying taxes to subsidise the above.

Despite the fact that you signed an employment contract, your employer advises you that he/she intends to enforce a significant reduction in your remuneration package.

Would you take that on the chin without a protest Chris?

7. Re: Police "Kettle" Westminster 
    What's a contract Ken?? I signed a contract with a mortgage company to buy my house 24 years ago, when they sold me the policy, they told me it would pay off my mortgage and have enough left over for a new car and a holiday.

What a load of bollocks that was... and on and on... 20 years ago my boss signed a contract and took out a final salary pension scheme... 5 years ago the pension company said it couldn't any longer afford the scheme and refunded his premiums without interest and closed the scheme.
    Although I sympathise with the police and public sector workers, as a private sector worker, I would swap my pension with any one of them.. I would love to retire at 65 with a living wage pension.

but it aint going to happen.

I think every working person is entitled to a decent pension, after a lifetime of paying taxes.

It's just that I find it a little unfair that I (through my taxes) subsidise the pension of a public sector worker, but as a private sector worker, my pension is not subsidised.
    I pay the same taxes... I don't get the same benefits...where's the fairness in that???

8. Re: Police "Kettle" Westminster 
    Diamond Member
    Chris, I appreciate what you are saying, but I look at it in a different way. If we want to attract the right people to professions like teaching and the police service then we need to reward them fairly.

More and more public sector workers are opting out of the pension schemes because their contributions are too high. It’s a false economy as the taxpayer will have to foot the bill for the benefits they will be entitled to when they reach retirement age. Council tax rebates, housing benefit, etc

Like you, I have no provision in place for my retirement. I agree wholeheartedly that every hard working person should receive a pension which enables them to enjoy a decent standard of living when they retire. Stripping away the pensions of those who already have them in place is a step backwards.

9. Re: Police "Kettle" Westminster 
    Banned
    Pensions are so 20th century

The way things are going does anyone here really believe pensions will still be around in ten years time??? :-?

10. Re: Police "Kettle" Westminster 
    Platinum Member
    The government love this, playing the private sector off against the public sector.

Swanny, this isn't about the state pension, it's about pensions awarded to certain professions.

The government is ripping up pay and conditions contracts for some jobs, even though these poorly paid people are not responsible for the current economic sh1t.