Notices

Thread: The olympic Torch in Chippenham

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: The olympic Torch in Chippenham 
    Yes the cyclist in the picture is a girl. The one before was a chap. There are two advance cyclists - they are having a good advance look at the crowds just before the runners appeared - everyone has ear pieces, etc.- Both cyclists carry long bags over their shoulders - I took a good guess that they are armed police.

2. Re: The olympic Torch in Chippenham 
    'armed' it's a bloody torch
    I need amusement in my sad life and it looks, very much, like you fit this requirement admirably..............begin the amusement!!!!!

3. Re: The olympic Torch in Chippenham 
    someone in Swindon yesterday tried to nab it outside the college was very quickly bundled on by several security before they even got close!
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

4. Re: The olympic Torch in Chippenham 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny
    Thanks for that I know now that I didn't miss anything 8-)

Loads of Olympic Torches on fleabay.
    Can't believe people would buy them let alone pay thousands for the privilege :-/

I wonder how much he will get for that one??
    He's not selling it! He had to pay £250 to keep it.

5. Re: The olympic Torch in Chippenham 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by monday21
    [quote author=Blackbonnie link=1337776738/6#6 date=1337794651]Hardly anyone is running in thier home town, seems a shame really.

We rambled up to Frome Rd from the office yesterday lunchtime to see it go through Trowbridge. Couldn't believe the amount of official vehicles & stuff going through ahead of the torch.

Lots of bike coppers from every force going between Devon & Cornwall through to the Met!

BB

I was speaking with a council official today and apparently, due to security reasons no one was allowed to run with the torch through their home town. And all council staff who were stewarding the events were required to produce their passports.

Is it just me? - I don't really get the logic behind these measures - perhaps someone can explain?
    [/quote]

Tom running above lives in Chippenham and ran in Chippenham

6. Re: The olympic Torch in Chippenham 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bubblelittleme
    [quote author=monday21 link=1337776738/9#9 date=1337807852][quote author=Blackbonnie link=1337776738/6#6 date=1337794651]Hardly anyone is running in thier home town, seems a shame really.

We rambled up to Frome Rd from the office yesterday lunchtime to see it go through Trowbridge. Couldn't believe the amount of official vehicles & stuff going through ahead of the torch.

Lots of bike coppers from every force going between Devon & Cornwall through to the Met!

BB

I was speaking with a council official today and apparently, due to security reasons no one was allowed to run with the torch through their home town. And all council staff who were stewarding the events were required to produce their passports.

Is it just me? - I don't really get the logic behind these measures - perhaps someone can explain?
    [/quote]

Tom running above lives in Chippenham and ran in Chippenham[/quote]

Perhaps there are exceptions Sue, or the council official got it wrong, she did have to produce her passport though despite the fact she has worked for the LA for many years.

Whatever, security around these events does seem OTT.

7. Re: The olympic Torch in Chippenham 
    Two of the runners in Chippenham were from Chippenham and one from a village nearby

In Calne only one of them came from there.

Security may seem OTT but unfortunately they have to be ready for just about anything in are relative safe society of ours.
    Everything from the local nut job or drunk running out to try and grab the torch which has happened right up to the threat of suicide bomber.

That may sound extreme but if the police did not plan for it and it happened and they had not tried to stop it the british media would soon start bleating "why were the police not ready"

I would hazard a gues the advance vehicles contain people who are having a jolly good look for "real" threats in the crowd before the torch arrives.
    Not shown in my photos was a big white van that proceded the runner with two big satalite dishes on the top. It looked like a very expensive communications van. The single blue flashing light on the dash board gave it away. There is a lot of security we do not see.

I for one is a great supporter of the jubilee celebrations and all the olympic events. With all the economic gloom the country is suffering it just may kick start the country a bit.
    All the constant "things are bad" rammed down our throats by our media is really pissing me off

8. Re: The olympic Torch in Chippenham 
    Diamond Member
    I suppose we are paying the price for adopting the role of self-appointed world policeman.