Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Green
Just read up on EGR valves too my uncle has a diesel passat which seems to be showing signs of a malfunctioning EGR stuttering idle and juddering on acceleration think ill mention it to him as it seems to have beneficial effects on the said valve
Good thread Darren !!! 8-)

"Exhaust Gas Recirculating valve", links your exhaust manifold to your inlet manifold - under certain conditions it will open to allow burnt exhaust gases back into your engine to improve emissions under say - coasting on a closed throttle...

This to me is bollocks & makes having an exhaust stroke pointless if you are going to let that nasty sooty crap back into your engine??

My EGR is on holiday - have blanked off the hole & relocated the solenoid & shuttle to do its thing somewhere else (if the EGR is unplugged the ECU will freak out)

The ECU is happy the EGR is still connected and working happily, Im happy that my engine is no longer being forced to eat its own ****.

Better cetane rating, also sharper throttle response going from closed to open throttle - does not have to clear its lungs first...