Notices

Thread: Slow down!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
  1. Re: Slow down! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    That is sort of the point. The CBT tells people what they should and should not do (and indeed what they must and must not do) but the students have to listen. There is also a limit to the detail that can be gone into in a one day and no substitute to expierence.
    I know what you mean, and don't disagree, but the system is failing when a young rider really doesn't have a clue that you don't open the throttle on a corner, that man hole covers are slippery, and when they don't appreciate the importance of gloves.

2. Re: Slow down! 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikki
    [quote author=Jon_W link=1342298769/69#69 date=1342694160]That is sort of the point. The CBT tells people what they should and should not do (and indeed what they must and must not do) but the students have to listen. There is also a limit to the detail that can be gone into in a one day and no substitute to expierence.
    I know what you mean, and don't disagree, but the system is failing when a young rider really doesn't have a clue that you don't open the throttle on a corner, that man hole covers are slippery, and when they don't appreciate the importance of gloves.

[/quote]

I agree to a point but take a slightly different view that common sense needs to be brought into the equation at some point. I might argue that anyone who is old enough to start riding a motorcycle should have enough between their ears to work some things out for themselves and not need to be told everything they should or shouldn't do. That list is too long to tell. I do believe individuals should be responsible for their own actions - surely at 16/17 you should know its going to hurt if you fall off wearing jeans/tee shirt and no gloves, you should know from pushbike experience (as most would have) that manhole covers are slippery and if you pin it in a corner you're going to slide. I don't think a reliance on instruction to provide all the terms and conditions of riding a motorcycle is either practical, necessary or even constructive. IMHO.

3. Re: Slow down! 
    you get fined for not wear a seat belt so why not gloves? they're safety equipment too, police would do you for no lid in a flash...
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

4. Re: Slow down! 
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    [quote author=Nikki link=1342298769/70#70 date=1342695948][quote author=Jon_W link=1342298769/69#69 date=1342694160]That is sort of the point. The CBT tells people what they should and should not do (and indeed what they must and must not do) but the students have to listen. There is also a limit to the detail that can be gone into in a one day and no substitute to expierence.

[/quote]

I agree to a point but take a slightly different view that common sense needs to be brought into the equation at some point. I might argue that anyone who is old enough to start riding a motorcycle should have enough between their ears to work some things out for themselves and not need to be told everything they should or shouldn't do. That list is too long to tell. I do believe individuals should be responsible for their own actions - surely at 16/17 you should know its going to hurt if you fall off wearing jeans/tee shirt and no gloves, you should know from pushbike experience (as most would have) that manhole covers are slippery and if you pin it in a corner you're going to slide. I don't think a reliance on instruction to provide all the terms and conditions of riding a motorcycle is either practical, necessary or even constructive. IMHO.[/quote]

I would have to agree. There is only so much that can be taught or legislated for. After that it is up to the rider to use the brain he/she was provided with.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

5. Re: Slow down! 
    Quote Originally Posted by porkies
    you get fined for not wear a seat belt so why not gloves? they're safety equipment too, police would do you for no lid in a flash...
    That's because a helmet is mandatory whereas gloves aren't : If skin crayons (for the feckless yoof in question is obviously one of these) are too stupid to consider gloves then tough, they'll have to deal with the pain... I saw one riding an R1 through Newbury town centre on Tuesday; trainers, shirt sleeves, no gloves... One questionable advantage(?) of the crap weather we've endured this summer is that many skin crayons have been saved from themselves, even those ****wits tend not to ride around in a downpour with no protection...

Legislation however, is the wrong way to go. The next step would see the misguided safety nazis having us all ride around in head-to-toe dayglo on bikes restricted to 70mph because "it's for our own good" >
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

6. Re: Slow down! 
    Platinum Member
    If anyone wants to ride round in a thong, i couldn't give a hoot, it's their choice. I did however LOL the other week, when a mate pointed one of these yoofs out and started quoting Darwin...whilst puffing on a cigarette.

7. Re: Slow down! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    [quote author=BMWGraeme link=1342298769/71#71 date=1342697842][quote author=Nikki link=1342298769/70#70 date=1342695948][quote author=Jon_W link=1342298769/69#69 date=1342694160]That is sort of the point. The CBT tells people what they should and should not do (and indeed what they must and must not do) but the students have to listen. There is also a limit to the detail that can be gone into in a one day and no substitute to expierence.

[/quote]

I agree to a point but take a slightly different view that common sense needs to be brought into the equation at some point. I might argue that anyone who is old enough to start riding a motorcycle should have enough between their ears to work some things out for themselves and not need to be told everything they should or shouldn't do. That list is too long to tell. I do believe individuals should be responsible for their own actions - surely at 16/17 you should know its going to hurt if you fall off wearing jeans/tee shirt and no gloves, you should know from pushbike experience (as most would have) that manhole covers are slippery and if you pin it in a corner you're going to slide. I don't think a reliance on instruction to provide all the terms and conditions of riding a motorcycle is either practical, necessary or even constructive. IMHO.[/quote]

I would have to agree. There is only so much that can be taught or legislated for. After that it is up to the rider to use the brain he/she was provided with.[/quote]

The young lad I was referring to isnt daft, fairly bright actually, but he really didnt know man hole covers were slippery or that you dont open your throttle on a corner.

Yes of course he'll learn the hard way but I honestly find this so basic that surely it should be something that youngsters are taught.

I know you cant put an old head on young shoulders but this is pretty basic stuff here.

8. Re: Slow down! 
    Diamond Member
    Don't we all learn when we start to walk aged 12 months that falling over ends up with grazed knees and gravel rash on the palm of one's hands? If you walk to school at 8 years old and its raining or snowing, don't you get to learn what's a slippery surface and what isn't anymore? Do we have to be told that riding on wet mud is going to be slippery even if we haven't tried it?

I agree that the basics of riding motorcycles should be covered in the training but surely such a basic life equation of falling off equals pain doesn't have to be part of the syllabus?

9. Re: Slow down! 
    you could argue that any motorcycle instructor worth his/her salt would mention that drain covers are slippery etc...I was told that during my training even though it wasn't included in a set syllabus.
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

10. Re: Slow down! 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabz
    you could argue that any motorcycle instructor worth his/her salt would mention that drain covers are slippery etc...I was told that during my training even though it wasn't included in a set syllabus.
    Its one thing saying, its another thing hearing.....

Where do you stop though....how do you decide whats worth telling and what isn't? What about, gravel, mud, leaves, moss, branches, roadkill, birds, diesil and everything else you need to know how to handle. Let alone pedestrians, car drivers, cyclists and horses and.... and....and.....

Sorry, must get out of Meldrew mode ;D ;D