Notices

Thread: Slow down!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Slow down! 
    Read up on this and I have to say that it seems a bit pointless to me. The current rules on dangerous driving could be used to cover the speed aspect as most lanes you don't want to be doing more than 20-30 down anyway. I do also wonder how this will be enforced considering the squeeze that the police are under as it is. Surely it is better to focus on the roads where most of the traffic is???

"there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

2. Re: Slow down! 
    Quote Originally Posted by JAYJAY
    ... I was told to remember that every car driver is out to kill you!

I remember being told something similar a long time ago and I think its a terrible way to think, I'm sure it creates more problems on the roads.

At the end of the day we're all human beings and if we all had a little more thought and courtesy for other fellow human beings perhaps the roads would be a safer place for us all.

We all make mistakes and we've all got to share the roads. Just my thoughts...

3. Re: Slow down! 
    Quote Originally Posted by JAYJAY
    That video is tragic but also holds a valuable lesson - or reminder for all of us on 2 wheels.

In that, the post is valid and I think that link at least should remain on the site for a graphic and tragic lesson to all - how a great enjoyable day out riding with a mate can so easily end in tragedy,

HOWEVER - the crass ignorant comment with absolutely no respect for the dead, their families loved ones and friends is one of the most disgraceful things it has ever been my displeasure to read. If that is your idea of a biker mate - I AM NOT ONE OF YOU.

I am highly offended and would ask Dabz to remove that comment -whilst if at all possible retain the link for educational purposes.

Sorry to go on so - but that went beyond banter or good humour - it was just pure bad taste.
    I feel exactly the same a very disrespectful comment.

4. Re: Slow down! 
    there is the gulf between people

to me that was terrible riding and to call it enjoyable demonstrates that gulf.

5. Re: Slow down! 
    Quote Originally Posted by cornishbob
    there is the gulf between people

to me that was terrible riding and to call it enjoyable demonstrates that gulf.
    I'm sure we are all guilty of getting carried away and at some time most (probably all) of us have been guilty of some pretty poor riding, I know I have, but at the end of the day that man was someones son, brother, husband or friend and to say he will not be missed is, in my opinion, so very disrespectful and cruel.

6. Re: Slow down! 
    just off of that roundabout is a macdonalds (maccy d as its known locally).
    tuesday evenings is a bike night there.maybe 200 bikes when really busy. there are 3 definite groupings..those of the persuasion similar to the guy that was killed at one end then almost everybody else the other end and ne'er the twain shall meet.then in the middle was yes you've guessed it -the goldwing owners and the 'h.o.g.' and the medallion man cruisers.
    obviously it was the talk of the town on that particular evening. i cant speak for all but the feeling where i was was 'just deserts'.
    different attitudes as simple as that.

it is videos like that that fuel the need for these proposals.

7. Re: Slow down! 
    I am truly astounded that you show so little/no compassion to a fellow human being and those he left behind.

I don't think for one minute any lower speed limit would have prevented that mans death. He was on a high, the red mist had descended and he was oblivious to what was about to happen, as I said I don't think many of us who ride a bike have never been there but a lot of us have been lucky, very lucky.

8. Re: Slow down! 
    Diamond Member
    Reducing speed limits won't stop accidents. Accidents will happen & continue to happen. We can all talk & have our opinions on what should be done to stop it or reduce speed.

Limit the bhp on young car drivers.
    Retake of driving / rider test when you reach the age of 60, if you don't pass then retake within 1 month & 2nd fail take the licence away until they reach the DSA standards.

9. Re: Slow down! 
    there seems to be oh so many people in this world who want to play with fire then go crying to mummy when they get burnt.

if we all stuck to the rules he'd still be alive there'd be no point to this thread and we'd all live happily ever after.

10. Re: Slow down! 
    Quote Originally Posted by GixxerStu
    Reducing speed limits won't stop accidents. Accidents will happen & continue to happen. We can all talk & have our opinions on what should be done to stop it or reduce speed.

Limit the bhp on young car drivers.
    Retake of driving / rider test when you reach the age of 60, if you don't pass then retake within 1 month & 2nd fail take the licence away until they reach the DSA standards.
    Why wait until the age of 60? I think education should be better for all of us that share the roads and ongoing.