Notices

Thread: Slow down!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Slow down! 
    can we have an attitude check please fatbob. Attitudes like the above aren't welcome on here
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

2. Re: Slow down! 
    for the more professional country lane rider

3. Re: Slow down! 
    I found this quite interesting -

http://www.mikewaite.co.uk/factsheet...-speed-part-2/

The views of an ex-police motorcycle instructor.

4. Re: Slow down! 
    Banned
    No wonder he's an ex-copper, he seems to have a level of intelligence not required in todays police force 8-)

5. Re: Slow down! 
    Diamond Member
    Frome is approx 3 miles long from one end of the town to the other. It’s ludicrous to expect motorists and other road users to adhere to a 20 mph limit when passing through the town during quiet times such as late evening.

IMHO a 40 mph restriction on many more open rural roads could prove to be counterproductive, leading to an increase in frustration, which would have an adverse effect on road safety.

My van is not very powerful and unlike my bike I need a fair old stretch of clear road in order to execute an overtaking manoeuvre safely. Even now I find it extremely annoying when stuck behind slow moving vehicles because I need to reach a speed of 50mph to engage 5th gear without the engine labouring. And why do so many drivers slow down when climbing up a hill with a clear road in front of them? Grrrrr!

6. Re: Slow down! 
    fat bob! im not a "proper biker" as I only grew up with motorcycles in my life, my dad was a rocker, rode and raced motorcycles, started going pillion myself on the bonny he built in the garage, to this day I remember watching him. rode around on field bikes and finally at the ripe age of 16 got my cbt and first road bike which was a honda 50 mbx. My dad (also not a proper biker) rebuilt the pocket size engine teaching me all the way through each step. I have since had very many bikes upto 5 at one time I think, all my kids can ride motorcycles as they have had them in their life too from start. I just wondered where I have to sign up in your club to be "a proper biker"???? By the way, breaking peoples property is illegal, your not a proper pedestrian! ;D ;D [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

7. Re: Slow down! 
    newnut... i'd love to answer but i cant.

8. Re: Slow down! 
    As often happens when lovely - deep thinking sensible Ken tries to start a sensible discussion on a current topic which could effect all of us bikers far more than pedestrian mirror kickers - someone like FB has to go off an a tangent which totally obscures the very valid topic raised by Ken

Ho Hum Ken - Life is full of obstacles to good debate.

Haven't seen you for ages mate - looking forward to seeing you soon - Are you going to Calne??

Have just rescued a maltreated cbr600 from a wouldbe biker pedestrian in Cambridge - judging by it's condition he's probably kicked it around a bit too - It is recovering slowly with some TLC and is now at least mobile although more tlc and recovery is needed. People who abuse machines like that shoul be...... oh well.

See you soon mate

JJ

9. Re: Slow down! 
    Ok - just watched that video

Many things could be said about the riding - but also the driving.

When I first started out on 2 wheels 48 years ago I took an RAC/ACU beginners instruction course during which I was told to remember that every car driver is out to kill you!

That video is tragic but also holds a valuable lesson - or reminder for all of us on 2 wheels.

In that, the post is valid and I think that link at least should remain on the site for a graphic and tragic lesson to all - how a great enjoyable day out riding with a mate can so easily end in tragedy,

HOWEVER - the crass ignorant comment with absolutely no respect for the dead, their families loved ones and friends is one of the most disgraceful things it has ever been my displeasure to read. If that is your idea of a biker mate - I AM NOT ONE OF YOU.

I am highly offended and would ask Dabz to remove that comment -whilst if at all possible retain the link for educational purposes.

Sorry to go on so - but that went beyond banter or good humour - it was just pure bad taste.

10. Re: Slow down! 
    Diamond Member
    Many accidents happen when drivers are within the speed limit but driving too fast for the road conditions on the road.

However, I agree with a reduced speed limit in certain areas. Schools, roadworks on motorways to name 2. Speed limits are in place for a reason, should you choose to ignore them then be prepared to suffer the consequences if caught or worse you suffer an accident.

I'm no angel : & have been know to make "Progress" while riding or driving.