Notices

Thread: Slow down!

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Slow down! 
    Quote Originally Posted by cornishbob
    there seems to be oh so many people in this world who want to play with fire then go crying to mummy when they get burnt.

if we all stuck to the rules he'd still be alive there'd be no point to this thread and we'd all live happily ever after.
    Maybe, but, I think it's a sad day when we show no respect to someone who has tragically lost their life and for those who have been left behind.

2. Re: Slow down! 
    if no one took risks, there would still be no motorcycles at all. everything designed took some risk, whether it great or small. I didn't see him crying to anyone! just a whimp bad mouthing someone who isn't here to defend his actions.

3. Re: Slow down! 
    Quote Originally Posted by cornishbob
    there seems to be oh so many people in this world who want to play with fire then go crying to mummy when they get burnt.

if we all stuck to the rules he'd still be alive there'd be no point to this thread and we'd all live happily ever after.
    Who's 'crying to mummy'? Certainly not the guy in the video. He never asked for your sympathy. As for getting his 'just deserts'. There are very few people in this world who deserve to die. I reserve those kind of feelings for war criminals, peodophiles, rapist and the like. Speeders? Not really in the same league.

I know you think you're 'putting the cat amongst the pidgeons' but you're actually being a massive tw@t.
    Maybe you should start behaving like a 'proper' human being.

4. Re: Slow down! 
    Quote Originally Posted by JAYJAY
    Ok - just watched that video

Many things could be said about the riding - but also the driving.

When I first started out on 2 wheels 48 years ago I took an RAC/ACU beginners instruction course during which I was told to remember that every car driver is out to kill you!

That video is tragic but also holds a valuable lesson - or reminder for all of us on 2 wheels.

In that, the post is valid and I think that link at least should remain on the site for a graphic and tragic lesson to all - how a great enjoyable day out riding with a mate can so easily end in tragedy,

[highlight]HOWEVER - the crass ignorant comment with absolutely no respect for the dead, their families loved ones and friends is one of the most disgraceful things it has ever been my displeasure to read. If that is your idea of a biker mate - I AM NOT ONE OF YOU.

I am highly offended and would ask Dabz to remove that comment -whilst if at all possible retain the link for educational purposes.
    Sorry to go on so - but that went beyond banter or good humour - it was just pure bad taste

Couldnt agree more Jay Jay......... whilst you are entitled to your opinion Fatbob I for one would appreciate it if you would keep your 'keyboard warrior's words to yourself. I cannot understand how you could disrespect another human beings loss of life.........no matter how it happened you are definately not qualified to make judgements on another unless of course you are actually writing from 'Heaven' and are flanked by harp playing angels.

Im sure you love stirring the pot on here and really enjoy winding up our more compassionate members.....but honestly, to use another persons death to do this is the lowest of the low......almost equivalent to being a parasite i.e. using this bikers death to enhance your own pathetic 'voice' !!!

5. Re: Slow down! 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GixxerStu
    Reducing speed limits won't stop accidents. Accidents will happen & continue to happen. We can all talk & have our opinions on what should be done to stop it or reduce speed.

Limit the bhp on young car drivers.
    Retake of driving / rider test when you reach the age of 60, if you don't pass then retake within 1 month & 2nd fail take the licence away until they reach the DSA standards.
    Getting back on topic, Stu, I agree with your comments in your earlier post about reducing the speed limit in certain areas like outside schools. The proposal for Frome however, is 20 mph across the whole town 24 hours a day.

I don’t agree with retesting for sixty year olds and over because statistically they are one of the safest age groups using the roads. Drivers over 70 are no more likely to cause crashes than any other driver, and are considerably safer than younger drivers, according to a report published by the RoadSafe member IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorists).

This would just be another stealth tax for many of our already hard-pressed pensioners – I wouldn't have a problem with over seventies undergoing an extensive free medical to ascertain as to whether or not they are fit to drive/ride.

6. Re: Slow down! 
    Platinum Member
    It's just another seen to be doing something, but not actually doing sod all by the gubbermint. I agree with 20mph in 'residential' areas, i would also like to see a lot of them made into chicanes, to slow people down forcefully, also introduce play streets for kids. I live on a cut through road in Chippenham, it's a 30, but the speed of some cars and bikes down here is shocking, why do most yoofs round here drive rally prepared stage 1 Corsa 1.2's?

7. Re: Slow down! 
    Banned
    Speed limits shouldn't exist at all, if people drove at the right speed for the road and it's conditions their wouldn't be a problem.

If they want to make the roads safer they should retest everyone every 5 years, you fail you go back to L plates.

8. Re: Slow down! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny
    Speed limits shouldn't exist at all, if people drove at the right speed for the road and it's conditions their wouldn't be a problem.

If they want to make the roads safer they should retest everyone every 5 years, you fail you go back to L plates.
    Nice idea but the roads would be full up with people taking their test!

9. Re: Slow down! 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    [quote author=Swanny link=1342298769/56#56 date=1342550827]Speed limits shouldn't exist at all, if people drove at the right speed for the road and it's conditions their wouldn't be a problem.

Nice idea but the roads would be full up with people taking their test!

[/quote]

And would be pointless, just another money raising tax – How many road users drive/ride the same way as they did on their test?

10. Re: Slow down! 
    Platinum Member
    Do away with pavements, white lines, and give pedestrians priority on ALL minor roads.