Quote Originally Posted by monday21
I’m posting on this thread again to clarify my position on this sad case because I don’t want members/guests on here thinking that I’m not a fair minded person who holds an anti-police grudge.

The body was found on Friday on the fourth police examination of the terraced property in a week, but police have not yet confirmed that it is that of missing Tia.
Metropolitan Police South East London Area Commander Neil Basu said "human error" was to blame for not locating the body sooner and apologised to Tia's mother Natalie. "On behalf of the Metropolitan Police I apologise for the distress and concern this delay will have caused," he said.
The body was found in the house a week after the 12-year-old was reported missing.
Mr Basu explained that the first examination of the property on receiving the report last Friday was not a full search. He said mistakes were made on the second search two days later. This exercise took two hours. Mr Basu said the occupiers gave their consent to this search. "All parts of the premises were searched including the location where a body was discovered, five days later, on Friday, August 10," he said.
"An early review has been conducted and it is now clear that human error delayed the discovery of the body within the house. We have apologised to Tia's mother that our procedures did not lead to the discovery of the body on this search."He said a third visit took place on Wednesday. "This was not a search, but the attendance of a body recovery dog to assist the investigation team in their inquiries," he said. "It is not appropriate to comment further on aspects of the criminal investigation currently being conducted but our investigation was such that it was decided that a further intrusive search needed to be undertaken - it was that search, yesterday, which resulted in the discovery." He added: "A continuing review and examination of our search processes will be undertaken to ensure such a failing is not repeated."

The police are public servants paid for out of the public purse and as such are accountable to the general public. The police along with all public servants should therefore, not be above criticism when they fail or make errors.

IMO, in light of the Area Commander’s above statement I believe that the criticism I made of the police in my original post is justified in this case.

I should point out that I have been quick to praise the police for acts of bravery on numerous occasions in the past on my FB page and other public platforms.

Merv, I walk with my eyes wide open and with an open mind. That is how I know that not all crimes are committed by under 25 year old benefit claimants who live in council houses, and not all bikers have long greasy hair – plenty of baldies on here – ask Stu. ;D

I really feel for the young girl's loved ones.
Ken, you worry too much