Notices

Thread: Squeaky front brakes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: Squeaky front brakes 
    Anything embeded in the pad/disc?
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

2. Re: Squeaky front brakes 
    Hi Dan505, on the left hand side disc is a groove that suggests something got caught between the pad and disc creating a perfect circular groove. The inner floating pad had a raised ridge which im guessing filled the groove on the disc. Annoyingly they still squeal around town at low speeds which is a bugger!!!

3. Re: Squeaky front brakes 
    Sell the Saab ;D
    If you had the wheels off and car jacked up it does sound more like wheel bearings. As soon as strain is placed on them squeel starts. When you brake you would also be applying more pressure to the bearing more so when cornering and braking

4. Re: Squeaky front brakes 
    Hey Kevinb, no no no, cant sell my beauty of a Saab haha, well Ive tried most everything : cleaned the calipers, cleaned the brackets, skimmed the pads, disc etc, put copper grease on the carriers and checked the tin plates aren't rubbing. The car had been sat for damn near 12 months when I bought it so possibly bearings have corroded. The hydraulic struts for the convertible top had rusted too, that was a cool £560 out of pocket. Could have bought another motorbike :P

5. Re: Squeaky front brakes 
    Quote Originally Posted by thepetrolhead91
    Hey Kevinb, no no no, cant sell my beauty of a Saab haha, well Ive tried most everything : cleaned the calipers, cleaned the brackets, skimmed the pads, disc etc, put copper grease on the carriers and checked the tin plates aren't rubbing. The car had been sat for damn near 12 months when I bought it so possibly bearings have corroded. The hydraulic struts for the convertible top had rusted too, that was a cool £560 out of pocket. Could have bought another motorbike :P
    They are very lovely cars. The Swedes can do no wrong (I used to have a Volvo)
    They had a thing on Wheeler Dealer about the bulkheads can crack on the convertable but you can buy a brace kit for it. Did you check it out when you bought it?
    Which one have you got Aero LPT?

6. Re: Squeaky front brakes 
    I have the 2.0SE turbo 2001. It was a neighbours and he's been the only owner with full Saab history. Just been neglected really and I took it on as a project. Am now taking it in this Friday to have the bearings checked :S. Hopefully wont be anything too serious haha

7. Re: Squeaky front brakes 
    if the disc is scored it could be wind noise, making the pad move as they are floating. failing that it could have caused a thread to shear off the disc (swarf) and pin between the calipers causing the squeel when no load applied but disappears when pressure is added.

swap the discs/pads from left to right side and see if the noise changes sides, if so you know for deffinate its the brakes, if sound stays on the left start looking at bearings and also check the CV boot and CV joint splines
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

8. Re: Squeaky front brakes 
    Well Ive had it all apart and cleaned so I dont think its anything to do with the calipers. The squeal occurs on both front brakes and if I turn the wheel while driving say 20mph, the squeal goes quiet one side, and louder the other. Has to be something with a high point as there is a time blip between each squeak/squeal. When I had a wheel off and tried rotating the disc, you could here a distinctive rubbing noise like there was a tiny bit of friction. Hmm, well the garage is going to test drive it and find out. Does give me an excuse to play ACDC really loudly though :P!!!!

9. Re: Squeaky front brakes 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thepetrolhead91
    Well Ive had it all apart and cleaned so I dont think its anything to do with the calipers. The squeal occurs on both front brakes and if I turn the wheel while driving say 20mph, the squeal goes quiet one side, and louder the other. Has to be something with a high point as there is a time blip between each squeak/squeal. When I had a wheel off and tried rotating the disc, you could here a distinctive rubbing noise like there was a tiny bit of friction. Hmm, well the garage is going to test drive it and find out. Does give me an excuse to play ACDC really loudly though :P!!!!
    That sounds just like bearings.....

10. Re: Squeaky front brakes 
    But for bearings, I always thought they hum rather than squeak or make grinding noises. This is a faint squeak if rotating by hand but on the road, sounds like justin beiber haha