Dennis, this was a tragedy waiting to happen. I travelled up and down the country in the late seventies and throughout the eighties following Man Utd. The police and the authorities treated football fans like animals back then.

I recall visiting Derby County’s old Baseball ground for an FA cup tie in 83 and I reckon there must have been 5000 fans over capacity inside the stadium that day. Whiteside scored in the 89th minute, the away end erupted and I never thought I was going to get out alive.

I was listening to the radio today and the hollow apologies from Boris Johnson, the editor of the Sun, and the police sickened me to the pit of my stomach. Sections of the media, some politicians and police officers sat on the lies for all these years, content to allow Liverpool fans to take the blame for the tragedy.

I hope now that no stone is left unturned in bringing the police officers who allegedly interfered with statements and anyone else who was involved in this rotten cover up before the courts to face trial.

That’s the very least the 96 victims deserve.