Notices

Thread: Hillsborough Disaster Enquiry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Hillsborough Disaster Enquiry 
    After thousands of previously unseen government files are released, finally the truth has come out. The prime minister has apologised.
    At least the 96 now have some sort of justice and are able to have a bit of closure.

I think its despicable that the police removed and edited statements and the ridiculous lies that the newspaper said. I really hope the paper prints a full public apology tomorrow to the families of those killed.

2. Re: Hillsborough Disaster Enquiry 
    Banned
    What the police lied?????

Who would have ever expected that :
    Those responsible are criminals and should be dealt with as such, but we all know they will just be told off and suspended on full pay for a while.
    They can commit murder and get away with it.

3. Re: Hillsborough Disaster Enquiry 
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...yside-19543964 for anyone that wants a read.

I can't believe its taken 23 years for this!

4. Re: Hillsborough Disaster Enquiry 
    Diamond Member
    Just another in a long list of state cover-ups. No wonder Joe Public has no trust left in the powers that be.

Absolutely despicable. >

5. Re: Hillsborough Disaster Enquiry 
    I have just read the independent report ( all 389 pages), and one of the most disturbing facts was that crushing was an issue since 1981 !...quote...
    "In 1981 before the FA Cup Semi-Final between Tottenham Hotspur and
    Wolverhampton Wanderers there was serious congestion at the Leppings Lane
    turnstiles and crushing on the confined outer concourse. It resulted in the opening
    of exit Gate C to relieve the crush. The disclosed documents indicate that entry into
    the stadium was managed by South Yorkshire Police (SYP) officers on duty and
    Sheffield Wednesday Football Club (SWFC) stewards. What followed was a serious crush on the terraces in which many people were
    injured and fatalities narrowly avoided. At that time lateral fences did not divide
    the Leppings Lane terrace into pens, and fans were able to move sideways along
    the full length of the terrace; others escaped onto the perimeter track through the
    narrow gates in the perimeter fence."

Since then SWFC put in the lateral fences which prevented the fans from spreading out. The ground did not have a valid safety certificate! > Between 81 and 87 the ground was not used for semi finals while the ground was upgraded.
    The upgrade did not include specific turnstyles for each section or "pen" which results in too many fans heading for th best vantage point behind the goal area. This faliure was due to lack of money by SWFC.
    If you do not want a good nights sleep read the document.

The truth is now in the public domain justice will follow.
    RIP the 96, YNWA

6. Re: Hillsborough Disaster Enquiry 
    Diamond Member
    Dennis, this was a tragedy waiting to happen. I travelled up and down the country in the late seventies and throughout the eighties following Man Utd. The police and the authorities treated football fans like animals back then.

I recall visiting Derby County’s old Baseball ground for an FA cup tie in 83 and I reckon there must have been 5000 fans over capacity inside the stadium that day. Whiteside scored in the 89th minute, the away end erupted and I never thought I was going to get out alive.

I was listening to the radio today and the hollow apologies from Boris Johnson, the editor of the Sun, and the police sickened me to the pit of my stomach. Sections of the media, some politicians and police officers sat on the lies for all these years, content to allow Liverpool fans to take the blame for the tragedy.

I hope now that no stone is left unturned in bringing the police officers who allegedly interfered with statements and anyone else who was involved in this rotten cover up before the courts to face trial.

That’s the very least the 96 victims deserve.

7. Re: Hillsborough Disaster Enquiry 
    Diamond Member
    I thought this was so lovely I'd share it on here.

The Cathedral bell, tolled, could never tell;
    nor the Liver Birds, mute in their stone spell;
    or the Mersey, though seagulls wailed, cursed, overhead,
    in no language for the slandered dead...
    not the raw, red throat of the Kop, keening,

or the cops’ words, censored of meaning;
    not the clock, slow handclapping the coroner’s deadline,
    or the memo to Thatcher, or the tabloid headline...
    but fathers told of their daughters; the names of sons
    on the lips of their mothers like prayers; lost ones
    honoured for bitter years by orphan, cousin, wife -
    not a matter of football, but of life.
    Over this great city, light after long dark;
    truth, the sweet silver song of the lark.

Carol Ann Duffy

8. Re: Hillsborough Disaster Enquiry 
    All very sad, but its time to move on.

9. Re: Hillsborough Disaster Enquiry 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goz1960
    All very sad, but its time to move on.
    Not yet - there is the still the small matter of all those who conspired to hide the truth being brought to justice. Then I very much hope the families of the victims will be able to move on.

10. Re: Hillsborough Disaster Enquiry 
    Quote Originally Posted by monday21
    [quote author=goz1960 link=1347454238/7#7 date=1347732449]All very sad, but its time to move on.
    Not yet - there is the still the small matter of all those who conspired to hide the truth being brought to justice. Then I very much hope the families of the victims will be able to move on.[/quote]

Absolutely agree there. Whilst the families have gotten a little more closure than they did have, I think its created a lot more questions which have to be answered, hopefully that will aid the families in closing the chapter (to a point) but also, the rest of the public... if the authorities hid the truth on this, what else has been hidden??