Notices

Thread: Time to choose sides?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: Time to choose sides? 
    Diamond Member
    Sorry Graeme, I wasn’t questioning the technology. Up until now surgeons who were going to carry out the procedures on smokers took the decision as to whether or not there was a clinical risk due to smoking.

Can you just imagine the damage to the GP-patient relationship this new change will cause? "I need to test you to see if you have given-up."

I have read pages on the new reforms from both sides and I just get the feeling that it has been rushed through to save money without enough thought put into it.

2. Re: Time to choose sides? 
    Diamond Member
    I can't say I'm that clued up on the proposals but I could believe that there would be a cost saving to all of us taxpayers if the vetting process was done at a local GP level rather than further upstream by the more expensive area of that particular community.

As an ex smoker myself (we're the worst) I can't see anything wrong with asking the questions about their health if an operation would be pointless or life threatening if it were to go ahead with incorrect information. Its not just about cost, there are many different types of operation where the survival rate is too low should the patient not be healthy enough (in whatever form) to have it.

3. Re: Time to choose sides? 
    Diamond Member
    Graeme, let me clarify. Irrespective of the risk - if you smoke or are obese no operation. that's what is happening now. that is why it is being taken out of the surgeon's remit.

If you read my first post, hopefully you will understand better what I'm getting at.

4. Re: Time to choose sides? 
    Banned
    Next there will be a cut off point when you reach a certain age.
    Hands up everyone that thinks your tax goes to the NHS

5. Re: Time to choose sides? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny
    Next there will be a cut off point when you reach a certain age.
    Hands up everyone that thinks your tax goes to the NHS
    I'm sure part of my tax goes to pay for the NHS - whatever anyone thinks of the service or the politics, it doesn't come from anywhere else in sufficient quantities to pay for it.

6. Re: Time to choose sides? 
    Diamond Member
    Despite the fact that I’m now a non-smoker, I find it ironic that smokers subsidise the NHS through the tax on tobacco products (£12 billion take for the treasury this financial year) yet they are being denied routine treatment.

I repeat, who will be next? Those who participate in high-risk activities like, rock climbing, motorcycle track days and so on?

7. Re: Time to choose sides? 
    Quote Originally Posted by monday21
    Despite the fact that I’m now a non-smoker, I find it ironic that smokers subsidise the NHS through the tax on tobacco products (£12 billion take for the treasury this financial year) yet they are being denied routine treatment.

I repeat, who will be next? Those who participate in high-risk activities like, rock climbing, motorcycle track days and so on?

What about procreation ??

that makes babies and costs too.....you wait...sex will be taxed next lmao........I'd like to see them try that one and enforce it hahahaha ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ahhh, says the doctor, you've been having sex, you're pregnant.... But we can't help you with childbirth because you shouldn't have been doing it anyway lol ;D ;D ;D

8. Re: Time to choose sides? 
    Banned
    Have a listen to this to better understand our country

http://video.google.com.au/videoplay...1930&hl=en

9. Re: Time to choose sides? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny
    Have a listen to this to better understand our country

http://video.google.com.au/videoplay...1930&hl=en

Thanks - just wasted 15 seconds of my life ;D

10. Re: Time to choose sides? 
    Diamond Member
    In this country everybody has the right to be treated, regardless.
    The NHS have to prioritise operations Heart surgery, Transplants, Cancer more life threatening than someone being obese & or smokers. It's not about subsidising the NHS we all pay tax towards the NHS.

If that means if you require Bariatric surgery & you have to weight then tough, Eat less move more....!

Trust me you should here what "some" surgeons have to say about performing Bariatric surgery....!