Notices

Thread: Death penalty

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: Death penalty 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Col
    @ redken 'executing too many innocents' -- innocent of what ? :-?

'unlawful killings 300 in 1964'
    'The number of killings recorded by police rose to 636 in the 12 months to March 2011'

btw you mention Downing and although released due to lack of plod correct procedure at the time[well done :P ] after over 25 years and now the case is closed. I understand he remains the prime suspect but cannot be retried and refused to be interviewed again even though there are allegations that he has confessed to the killing.

Ken - a dead murderer won't reoffend=fact!!!

'29 people released after being convicted of murder and six people convicted of manslaughter, killed again between 2000/1 and 2010/11'

It won't be re-introduced so we will all continue to keep the increasing number of killers alive and well

Surprised by the unlawful killings statistics – most crimes have risen 1000 to 10000 fold since 1964, yet the murder rate has just over doubled. Can’t see how the death penalty would have reduced that figure.

Col, your comments on the Downing case implies that he got off on some legal technicality. The legal mechanisms are live for 25 years for a retrial before a case of this kind is declared closed. Who says he is a ‘prime suspect’? Those who tried to frame him for a murder he did not commit? Why would he want to be interviewed again by those who stole his freedom for so many years?

2. Re: Death penalty 
    Plenty to read about the Downing case Ken

The Appeal judges did not declare him innocent only that the police were guilty of breaches regarding suspect questioning.

Can't be tried twice for same crime-double jeopardy rules

Discovered something interesting that a report suggests the murderer was right handed yet Downing is left handed :-?

and this sort of anomaly--that had he confessed he would have been paroled years earlier but because he was IDOM -in denial of murder- he was not eligible to be considered :-?

This is just one case and I ain't going to read thru every blooming case you have listed Ken ;D ;D

Check out Steven Truscott case

I need amusement in my sad life and it looks, very much, like you fit this requirement admirably..............begin the amusement!!!!!

3. Re: Death penalty 
    Diamond Member
    The double jeopardy law was scrapped in 2005, Col.

The court of Appeal can quash an acquittal and order a retrial when "new and compelling" evidence is produced. And it is retrospective, so someone could face a second trial if evidence such as DNA material, new witnesses or a confession came to light.

The change allowed for Gary Dobson to be retried for the murder of Stephen Lawrence.

Tony Blair hasn’t been tried once for alleged war crimes, yet.

4. Re: Death penalty 
    Did not know about 'double jeopardy' Ken-due to weakness in initial cases I would imagine ;D

Probably this must be for the good overall as there must be several cases that were questionable---wonder if Downing will be tried again?

Blair--now there's a topic
    I need amusement in my sad life and it looks, very much, like you fit this requirement admirably..............begin the amusement!!!!!

5. Re: Death penalty 
    Quote Originally Posted by Tina
    [quote author=Col link=1344634642/5#5 date=1344681049][quote author=FJ_Biker link=1344634642/4#4 date=1344679882]
    You are stooping to their level after all we are supposed to live in a civilised society. what is the next plan of action stoning people because they commit adultery. Putting witches in water to see if the float or sink. Impaling people for religious views. Personally I am glad these days have gone and we are free to say what we want and people are free to criticise our views.

If the forensic staff who interview this person get enough knowlage out of the person and pass it on via training to social services and this saves a life in the future it will have been worth it.

If the arrested person is found guilty they are going to be locked up with some right evil b@rst3rds, they will not have a comfy life thats for sure.
    Don't believe we are 'free to say what we want' at all---as the thought plod will take you away as if you upset some wetweekenders fragile sensibilities by telling it like it is you are a bad bad person > [as an example check out the 'scum' post--I know what I'd put and that would upset quite a few ;D ;D ]

Also why are you mentioning 'social services Taffy ? Do you suppose 'murderers are already costing normal taxpayers by being 'on the radar' of social services--incidentally these bods are a recent burgeoning cost--- I want to know why there are so many social workers :-? yes--society has burgeoning problems brought about by poor education,parenting,discipline, blah, blah--keep paying and say nowt : :P

p.s. Thought I'd highlight 'knowlage' for the spelling mafiosa ;D

oh well at least it's sunny [/quote]

So many social workers???????

You obviously do not work in that neck of the woods........Social services are stretched to the limit, have limited resources and the people that genuinely need their help can't get it because the few social workers about have massive case loads and no time to do all the paperwork involved......If there was more support out there for the people that really do need it there would be less crap going on !! :-[ :-[[/quote]

I agree with Tina, as a social work student myself I can categorically state that there aren't enough hours in the day/social workers to go around. :-/ Sadly, the way society is heading it's only going to get worse...
    In loving memory of Mikkie Mahon 8th May 1986 - 28th September 2014. Taken too soon, ride free x
    “I WILL be a story in your head, but that’s ok. We are all stories in the end, just make yours a good one, eh?”

6. Re: Death penalty 
    Platinum Member
    I used to believe that capital punishment was wrong (two wrongs don't make a right)
    However, I have over the last few years moved in favour of the death penalty.

Murder in any form is a viscious and callous crime which should command the ultimate sentence.

7. Re: Death penalty 
    camera.op76
    I spent a lot of time in Saudi Arabia, they still publically behead people there. Needless to say crime rates are low... Really low.

Just before left they beheaded a 'WIZARD' - you couldn't make it up! :-/

8. Re: Death penalty 
    Platinum Member
    with all the forensic evidence in this day
    I don't believe it's an exact science.
    If people can win the lottery at 14 million to 1 then they can be innocent with those odds against them as well.

9. Re: Death penalty 
    Diamond Member
    Worth mentioning that the UK could not reintroduce capital punishment and remain a member state of the EU.

In the European Union member states, Article 2 of the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union prohibits the use of capital punishment.

It's well documented on here that I'm not a big fan of the EU in its current form, but at least they got this right. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

10. Re: Death penalty 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by monday21
    Worth mentioning that the UK could not reintroduce capital punishment and remain a member state of the EU.

In the European Union member states, Article 2 of the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union prohibits the use of capital punishment.

It's well documented on here that I'm not a big fan of the EU in its current form, but at least they got this right. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    Ken - if bringing back capital punishment meant we had to leave the EU.
    I don't think leaving the EU would be such a loss!