Notices

Thread: Tragic deaths

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
  1. Re: Tragic deaths 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by goz1960
    Are you mad? two young female police officers are murdered doing a job for us, and the next day you are condoning some one making comments like that. All I can say is its a sad world we live in then. lets hope you never need the police as you don't deserve the right to ask for there help
    Making comments like what??
    I think it's a terrible shame that these two women died doing their jobs but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion about the police being armed.

2. Re: Tragic deaths 
    Diamond Member
    I agree with the general consensus on here in not routinely arming the police. Like it or not, we live in a democracy and not a police state, therefore ultimately it will be a decision made on behalf of ‘Joe public’ by his elected representatives in Westminster. Of course, I would hope that the various police bodies would be consulted should this serious issue reach the governmental debate stage.

I have a lot of respect for the ordinary ‘Bobby’ on the beat, doing an extremely difficult job with increasingly dwindling resources.

That said however, the behaviour/action of higher ranking officers highlighted during the Leveson inquiry and last week’s Hillsborough revelations undermines public trust in the police.

A separate issue, but with regards to reintroducing Capital punishment, such a step could only be contemplated if we were to pull out of the EU, as the absolute ban on the death penalty is enshrined in the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union.

3. Re: Tragic deaths 
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny
    [quote author=goz1960 link=1348082064/31#31 date=1348170902][quote author=Swanny link=1348082064/15#15 date=1348162603]Number 3 ....they chose the job
    Number 4 .....if they don't like it leave

No one forces them to be police officers
    If they don't like being treated badly by drunks etc does that give them the right to beat them?
    OUT OF ORDER
    [/quote]

Really what makes you say that?? :-?[/quote]

Would you really make this type of statement regarding the fallen hero's coming back from Afghanistan etc
    No one makes them do there job and they get paid to do there job I hope not?.

4. Re: Tragic deaths 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goz1960
    [quote author=Mitch9128 link=1348082064/37#37 date=1348171633]English?
    Might not be quite up to Shakespeare standards but I am totally disgusted as I tried to construct a reply this sort of thread after a national disaster like this it makes my blood boil.[/quote]

National disaster? Tragic indeed, but not a national disaster. We're hardly affected by it here in Wiltshire are we?

Just remember that people like the police and army etc are here to protect all our freedoms, and that includes the freedom of speech, when people try to take that away by silencing it, they make a mockery of those who have died protecting our freedoms.

5. Re: Tragic deaths 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch9128
    [quote author=goz1960 link=1348082064/39#39 date=1348171835][quote author=Mitch9128 link=1348082064/37#37 date=1348171633]English?
    Might not be quite up to Shakespeare standards but I am totally disgusted as I tried to construct a reply this sort of thread after a national disaster like this it makes my blood boil.[/quote]

National disaster? Tragic indeed, but not a national disaster. We're hardly affected by it here in Wiltshire are we?

Just remember that people like the police and army etc are here to protect all our freedoms, and that includes the freedom of speech, when people try to take that away by silencing it, they make a mockery of those who have died protecting our freedoms.[/quote]

Sorry I suppose you are putting across your view but I think you must be mad if you think it does not affect us living in Wiltshire.

6. Re: Tragic deaths 
    Platinum Member
    How are you affected Goz?

7. Re: Tragic deaths 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by monday21
    I agree with the general consensus on here in not routinely arming the police. Like it or not, we live in a democracy and not a police state, therefore ultimately it will be a decision made on behalf of ‘Joe public’ by his elected representatives in Westminster. Of course, I would hope that the various police bodies would be consulted should this serious issue reach the governmental debate stage.

I have a lot of respect for the ordinary ‘Bobby’ on the beat, doing an extremely difficult job with increasingly dwindling resources.

That said however, the behaviour/action of higher ranking officers highlighted during the Leveson inquiry and last week’s Hillsborough revelations undermines public trust in the police.

A separate issue, but with regards to reintroducing capital punishment, such a step could only be contemplated if we were to pull out of the EU, as the absolute ban on the death penalty is enshrined in the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union.
    Ken, I agree. That's twice in a week - we must try harder

Such a tragic event and such a waste of two precious lives. There are some areas of life I cannot understand or comprehend and this kind of malicious killing is one of those. RIP.

8. Re: Tragic deaths 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    [quote author=monday21 link=1348082064/41#41 date=1348171960]I agree with the general consensus on here in not routinely arming the police. Like it or not, we live in a democracy and not a police state, therefore ultimately it will be a decision made on behalf of ‘Joe public’ by his elected representatives in Westminster. Of course, I would hope that the various police bodies would be consulted should this serious issue reach the governmental debate stage.

A separate issue, but with regards to reintroducing capital punishment, such a step could only be contemplated if we were to pull out of the EU, as the absolute ban on the death penalty is enshrined in the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union.
    Ken, I agree. That's twice in a week - we must try harder

Such a tragic event and such a waste of two precious lives. There are some areas of life I cannot understand or comprehend and this kind of malicious killing is one of those. RIP.[/quote]

Whatever next? :-* :-* :-* on the Lovey dovey thread? ;D

9. Re: Tragic deaths 
    There are loads of people in this country capable of a crime like we have witnessed this week, I know this I am a prison officer and work with these people every day. You me my children your children/family could be living next door to someone capable of a crime like this.
    One of the reasons they say this man done this was he wanted to become notorious by means of his crime, what im saying is who knows what mad man is next to think like this could be your next door or mine. We need these people POLICE OFFICERS to try to protect us

10. Re: Tragic deaths 
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny
    As I see it those two WPC's were just normal police officers going about their duty, so by reading what you wrote then yes you did advocate whole scale arming of the Police.
    No, that was conjecture, not advocacy. There is a considerable difference between the two
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen