Notices

Thread: Tragic deaths

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Tragic deaths 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista
    It is a position shared by the Police Superintendents' Association and the Association of Chief Police Officers.
    The British public are not nearly so unanimous.
    Personally I'd leave it to those who've been in the job for deacdes and know what they are talking about, rather than leaving it to Jo public to decide.

It's very easy to get emotive from reading one story in the media, but Jo public doesn't have much of a clue about the pros and cons of carrying weapons.

totally agree Ducatista

2. Re: Tragic deaths 
    Arming the Police wouldn't boher me in the slightest, I've spent years working on sites where the MoD Plods are fully tooled up and regular coppers unarmed afterwards seem slightly incomplete. Our Police service must be one of the few remaining in the world that is unarmed.
    In many cases they are far too restrained. Who's seen the fly-on-the-wall TV footage of what they have to put up with in our town centres every Friday and Saturday night (and every other time really), drunken gob****es mouthing off and trying it on. Would there be anything like the level of trouble if in their tiny minds they knew they'd get a sound whacking for it? Is there another country in the world where the Police put up with that kind of crap?

There may be a cost implication to training all active officers in the use of firearms, but how does that cost compare with what happened this week?
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

3. Re: Tragic deaths 
    Banned
    Scotty you should move to America.
    Those arseholes have guns and regularly beat up and kill innocent people.

The police are meant to be here as our servants to protect us not to bully and intimidate us.

4. Re: Tragic deaths 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    There may be a cost implication to training all active officers in the use of firearms, but how does that cost compare with what happened this week?

Do you really think some one like the person that killed the two policewomen is going to change his mind if our police are armed?? Arming our police would solve nothing.

5. Re: Tragic deaths 
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny
    Scotty you should move to America.
    Those arseholes have guns and regularly beat up and kill innocent people.

The police are meant to be here as our servants to protect us not to bully and intimidate us.

Lmao........what world do you live in ???

Why the hell should the police be treated like the scum of the earth by the drugged up, drunk wicked people in the country because they 'are our servants' ??

Number 1 ....they arent paid enough !!

Number 2......they are human too !!

6. Re: Tragic deaths 
    Banned
    Number 3 ....they chose the job
    Number 4 .....if they don't like it leave

No one forces them to be police officers
    If they don't like being treated badly by drunks etc does that give them the right to beat them?

7. Re: Tragic deaths 
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny
    [quote author=Scotty link=1348082064/11#11 date=1348161409]

Do you really think some one like the person that killed the two policewomen is going to change his mind if our police are armed?? Arming our police would solve nothing.[/quote]
    Had those two WPCs been armed, there's a good chance that at least one of them would still be alive, and we taxpayers might not be paying to keep that one-eyed scumbag alive in prison for the rest of his life.
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

8. Re: Tragic deaths 
    Banned
    Sorry but what you are saying is that just in case they are confronted with a psychopath who has set a trap to kill police officers that every police officer in Britain should carry a gun. Don't you think that is an over the top reaction?

Do you want this country to be like every other one with police brutality as the norm?
    Thanks but I don't want to live in a police state.
    I prefer our public servants as they are.

9. Re: Tragic deaths 
    Diamond Member
    I tend to think that arming the police entirely would be a retrograde step and force the proliferation of weapons on a wider scale. But I would go with the opinions from the professionals and not Jo public who tend to make emotive actions based on what they feel rather than what they know. I would only add that in my experience of travelling to many countries where the police are armed I tend to get told by the locals that they admire our police force, the fact that they are (usually) unarmed and that they aspire to our standards not their own.

10. Re: Tragic deaths 
    Jolly good Swanny.................am sure you'll still stick to that sentiment if you ever come up against a 'psychopath' with a gun and the police can't protect you as they don't have the power to do so.

But actually, there may not be any police when that happens 'cos they all left as they didnt like the job being 'servants' to people like yourself and didnt get paid enough for putting their lives on the line for people who don't give a toss.

Am wondering if you would do much better living on an island in the middle of the Pacific with no monarchy, no police, and no crime................ 'cos in the real world, where most of us live, it all exists hehehehe ;D ;D ;D