Notices

Thread: Tragic deaths

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. Tragic deaths 
    Diamond Member
    In the wake of the tragic deaths of two police officers in Greater Manchester this week, there are calls to routinely arm all of our police officers.

It would be wrong for me to speculate on the circumstances surrounding these latest murders, but I’m sure the emerging facts will reveal as to whether or not there may have been a different outcome had the two female officers been armed.

A 2006 survey of 47,328 Police Federation members found 82% did not want officers to be routinely armed on duty, despite almost half saying their lives had been "in serious jeopardy" during the previous three years.

It is a position shared by the Police Superintendents' Association and the Association of Chief Police Officers.

The British public are not nearly so unanimous.
    An ICM poll in April 2004 found 47% supported arming all police, compared with 48% against.

RIP PC Nicola Hughes, and PC Fiona Bone. :'( :'(

2. Re: Tragic deaths 
    Such a tragic incident. We had a minutes silence today for them.

I don't think officers should be routinely armed, however I think there should be more ARV units available.

3. Re: Tragic deaths 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor911

I don't think officers should be routinely armed, however I think there should be more ARV units available.
    I agree, more ARV units rather than arming police routinely. Perhaps categorise the crime & send ARV into potential problem areas or known trouble spots.

How many officers have been killed over the years arming Police may push that statisitic up.

4. Re: Tragic deaths 
    Platinum Member
    It is a position shared by the Police Superintendents' Association and the Association of Chief Police Officers.
    The British public are not nearly so unanimous.
    Personally I'd leave it to those who've been in the job for deacdes and know what they are talking about, rather than leaving it to Jo public to decide.

It's very easy to get emotive from reading one story in the media, but Jo public doesn't have much of a clue about the pros and cons of carrying weapons.

5. Re: Tragic deaths 
    its a very tragic incident but arming them may not prove to be the best answer. Criminals carry knives so the police get batons, criminals carry guns so the police get tasers, if the police get routinely issued with firearms it will just force the criminals to go one step higher but this is just MHO.

RIP
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

6. Re: Tragic deaths 
    NO, police officers should not be armed. How long will it be til a police officer is killed by their own weapon? Then what will people say... they shouldn't be armed...? hmm
    In loving memory of Mikkie Mahon 8th May 1986 - 28th September 2014. Taken too soon, ride free x
    “I WILL be a story in your head, but that’s ok. We are all stories in the end, just make yours a good one, eh?”

7. Re: Tragic deaths 
    Banned
    Just what we need more militarisation of the police :-/
    Who is to say that police officers are fit to carry guns??

8. Re: Tragic deaths 
    If you can have an 18 year old in the army trained to use a firearm I'm sure our police officers are intelligent enough to learn how to use them.
    As with others on here I don't think it would be right to arm all officers but at least giving them a fighting change to have armed officers within range if required. With stations closing or only open at certain times your lucky to have police arrive let alone armed ones.

9. Re: Tragic deaths 
    Platinum Member
    I'm sure our police officers are intelligent enough to learn how to use them.
    And how much will that firearms training cost?
    There isn't any extra money so that will probably result in cuts elsewhere.

With stations closing or only open at certain times your lucky to have police arrive
    If you cut further because we've had to pay for expensive firearms training then I expect that would get worse not better.

10. Re: Tragic deaths 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinb
    If you can have an 18 year old in the army trained to use a firearm I'm sure our police officers are intelligent enough to learn how to use them.
    As with others on here I don't think it would be right to arm all officers but at least giving them a fighting change to have armed officers within range if required. With stations closing or only open at certain times your lucky to have police arrive let alone armed ones.
    I might be wrong but I think all the jam sandwich cars carry a gun??