Notices

Thread: Dungeon Crawler Games!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Dungeon Crawler Games! 
    Platinum Member
    Don't know if anyone else on here is much of a gamer, I've been massively into my Pc games since i can remember, recently however i've been a bit lost in the world of games. Nothing has really kept my attention for any serious length of time. I've been drifting between games and rarely feel a serious craving to get back playing whatever game.
    2-3 years ago every other game i tried would keep me absolutely hooked for months at a time, even after hundreds of hours of gameplay!
    A majority of games i've really got hooked on are "Dungeon Crawlers", games like Diablo, Titan Quest, Torchlight etc.etc. Basically Beat the crap out of a ton of zombies/demons/monsters gets loads of loot and be completely immersed in the story!
    I waited for Diablo 3 for years! Only to find that they had ruined it by balancing the game around the "Auction House" and "Real Money Auction House", basically making it a "You're as good as you can afford to be" game, unless you put literally thousands of hours into it!
    The newer "Torchlight" series has kept me amused, its fun to play has a good pace to it and puts a smile on my face, but its a bit cartoony and isn't serious enough for my liking.

In my desire to find a game that really is "Made for the player base" and designed around what the people who will be playing it want, i came across a company called "Crate" it is a company started and mainly staffed and run by ex-Iron Lore staff (The creators of Titan Quest).

Having followed it for a few months now, and spending more time on their forum than i would like to admit, I am absolutely shocked at their dedication to their player base. Not only are they continually updating the forum with the progress on the game, they are taking the opinion of the players seriously and taking their ideas into account. They are funded by their player base, through pre-orders and an old kickstarter project, so are completely indebted to the people they are making the game for!
    Although a lot of companies do this, they will generally do it on a very basic level where they take the idea and distort and dilute it to where the idea ends up being a completely different reality.

If you're into such games i highly recommend you check out their website, http://www.grimdawn.com/index.php and if you like it pre-order it and potentially restart the good days of gaming where games were fun... for more than 5 minutes!!!

2. Re: Dungeon Crawler Games! 
    Sheish - the choices youngsters have to do with their time these days is amazing.

In my day we had to just make do with girlfriends...

3. Re: Dungeon Crawler Games! 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by @bj
    Sheish - the choices youngsters have to do with their time these days is amazing.

In my day we had to just make do with girlfriends...
    they're FAAAR too expensive for my tastes! motorbikes and computer games are far cheaper!

4. Re: Dungeon Crawler Games! 
    Quote Originally Posted by NoYou
    they're FAAAR too expensive for my tastes! motorbikes and computer games are far cheaper!
    So true ;D

I'm also a big time gaming fan but most games are about rinsing hard earned cash for achievements that would take weeks to do yourself. Give me a good online game to add to the longevity any day

5. Re: Dungeon Crawler Games! 
    i am a BIG diablo 3 player

6. Re: Dungeon Crawler Games! 
    I was a huge WOW fan. No time these days though :-(
    In loving memory of Mikkie Mahon 8th May 1986 - 28th September 2014. Taken too soon, ride free x
    “I WILL be a story in your head, but that’s ok. We are all stories in the end, just make yours a good one, eh?”

7. Re: Dungeon Crawler Games! 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NiteW4tcher
    i am a BIG diablo 3 player
    Biggest disappointment of 2012!!! I was looking forward to it from the moment was announced then it was released and it was fantastic fun; then they did the first major patch and... Ruined it. Don't know what its like now, I've not played it for a few months, but when I left it, the classes were balanced around the coop play and the item drop rate was all focused around the use of the AH. Imho this is contrary to the heart of a true dungeon crawer.
    Ok you don't want the best loot the first time you run through the game,it would make replays pointless but killing an entire level EXPECTING not to get a single upgrade... Well its a good way to destroy your soul!
    Biggest mistake they made was trying to implement the economy that d2 had in game. Because they then had to balance the game around it. Not entirely but to a large extent. Might give it another try and see if they've fixed it a bit but that initial " magic" of it has been lost forever and if they bring out another diablo any mention of a rmah and I will be walking the other way!!!

8. Re: Dungeon Crawler Games! 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoYou
    [quote author=NiteW4tcher link=1349987721/4#4 date=1350111116]i am a BIG diablo 3 player
    Biggest disappointment of 2012!!! I was looking forward to it from the moment was announced then it was released and it was fantastic fun; then they did the first major patch and... Ruined it. Don't know what its like now, I've not played it for a few months, but when I left it, the classes were balanced around the coop play and the item drop rate was all focused around the use of the AH. Imho this is contrary to the heart of a true dungeon crawer.
    Ok you don't want the best loot the first time you run through the game,it would make replays pointless but killing an entire level EXPECTING not to get a single upgrade... Well its a good way to destroy your soul!
    Biggest mistake they made was trying to implement the economy that d2 had in game. Because they then had to balance the game around it. Not entirely but to a large extent. Might give it another try and see if they've fixed it a bit but that initial " magic" of it has been lost forever and if they bring out another diablo any mention of a rmah and I will be walking the other way!!![/quote]

Is it just me that hasn't a clue what any of that means
    ;D

9. Re: Dungeon Crawler Games! 
    Platinum Member

Is it just me that hasn't a clue what any of that means
    ;D

When i joined the army, a typical Friday night consisted of beer/shaggin and fightin, when i left the army most of da yoof would be confined to their rooms on t'internet or Xbox or whatever. No wonder the Kiwi in Bulford has shut

10. Re: Dungeon Crawler Games! 
    Banned