as you quite rightly point out "compassion fatigue" is very real and always a problem, however a charity cannot function on donations alone, their purpose is not always about spending, sometimes a raised awareness is much more valuable to them and their aim than a donation, a raising of awareness and purpose will normally follow with an increased subscription to their ranks by people moved by what they are seeing, this will eventually lead to more people spreading the word and collecting on their behalf, so it rolls on, and as a very active member of a few charities my biggest issue was always manpower , then funding, and the posters used have had exactly that effect, I have no qualms whatsoever with WB and admire his efforts but love or hate we are all talking about them and as such most of us have followed the link and looked at them,
Personnally I do not find them offensive at all, I think they are very clever, unfortunately we do now live in a society that requires a lot more to shock us nowadays, I have seen much much worse, usually involving children or animals, and one of those posters wasn't inferrenced to a lack of a poppy, it was a lack of a family member, it could have easily been me or you or anyone of us on our bikes, wouldnt you like to think that if ever the worst happened to any of us your family would find comfort and support from someone or somebody who wanted and was able to help them.