Notices

Thread: 40mph on rural roads?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Re: 40mph on rural roads? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny
    I agree with you.
    I was thinking today when was the last time you saw or heard of an accident on rural roads?? Speed is only a factor because people are driving beyond their capabilities.
    I don't beleive speed kills, in my opinion it's bad driving that kills.
    The majority of accidents happen in the towns and citys.
    This is just more BS control being forced upon us.
    Yes you are spot on there mate, motorways account for 5% of accidents, rural around 15% and built up around 80%, its inappropriate speed thats the problem.

2. Re: 40mph on rural roads? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wesrrw
    40 mph from the ringroad at emersons all the way now to the bath junction at tormarton, ive heard that the council have a higher duty of care/maintenance where the speed limits are higher, say for example a 60 limit will have a schedule for inspection and repair more frequent than a 40, if you lower the limit, you lower the inspection intervals, as usual, it all comes down to ....money.
    That's a good point never thought of it that way. :

3. Re: 40mph on rural roads? 
    Banned
    What they should do if they really want to make the roads safer is give out instant 12 month bans to anyone using a mobile phone while driving.

4. Re: 40mph on rural roads? 
    camera.op76
    taking the licence away from a nice taxable slave so they can't earn money. Though a nice Idea swanny... won't happen.

Bring the elitist parasites down!

5. Re: 40mph on rural roads? 
    Some council wankers have seen fit to impose a painfully slow 30 on bit by Ollie Cromwell--bloody mental and I only noticed a [more expense] repeater doing my usual 'cough 60 ish ;D ;D....absolutely no point to it at all

Think Bike-Think Throttle

p.s. no Joey Turkeys were killed doing 60 or 70ish in case anyone was alarmed at my speed excess--which it is now cos some fruit loop thinks 30 is ok in their mind. I sometimes think the unemployment figures should go up ;D
    I need amusement in my sad life and it looks, very much, like you fit this requirement admirably..............begin the amusement!!!!!

6. Re: 40mph on rural roads? 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Col
    Some council wankers have seen fit to impose a painfully slow 30 on bit by Ollie Cromwell--bloody mental and I only noticed a [more expense] repeater doing my usual 'cough 60 ish ;D ;D....absolutely no point to it at all

Think Bike-Think Throttle

p.s. no Joey Turkeys were killed doing 60 or 70ish in case anyone was alarmed at my speed excess--which it is now cos some fruit loop thinks 30 is ok in their mind. I sometimes think the unemployment figures should go up ;D
    What!!!!!!! Not more, "Benefit scroungers" :P ;D

7. Re: 40mph on rural roads? 
    On my trip Swindon->Newbury->Swindon trip yesterday, it was 50mph limits all the way (except in the little villages you pass through), and I thought it was ok. I generally try and use my own judgement on what I consider a safe speed to be, instead of just looking at the signs and doing whatever they say. I passed my driving test ten years ago, and my CBT only 3 WEEKS ago, but the driving standards have dropped considerably since I started driving. I'm actually much happier on my bike now instead of in my car because it's just me and the bike, no distractions, so I can concentrate on what I'm doing, what the bike's doing, and what's happening on the roads in front of me. As for dropping the speed limits from 50mph to 40mph, it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference IMO, as like others have said, generally it's not the speed that kills, it's idiots on their phones, looking at satnavs/maps, smoking/eating/drinking whilst driving, etc. If people got in/on their vehicles with the sole purpose of driving and nothing else, then we'd have far less accidents. Drivers fill their time with too many distractions these days. We all need to get back to basics, just you and the machine!

8. Re: 40mph on rural roads? 
    It's ony forty if you get caught :

I think they only set it to forty so Harley riders have a speed limit to aim for ;D

9. Re: 40mph on rural roads? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinb
    It's ony forty if you get caught :

I think they only set it to forty so Harley riders have a speed limit to aim for ;D
    Too true but even a push for them. ;D ;D ;D ;D
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

10. Re: 40mph on rural roads? 
    Banned
    Maybe their plan is to get us riding Harley's