Notices

Thread: Heartbreaking!!!!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. Heartbreaking!!!! 
    Diamond Member
    Gaza militants continue to fire rockets at Israel, with injuries reported in towns including Ashkelon and Ofakim. At least 26 people were reported to have been killed in Gaza by Israeli bombardments on Sunday. Of those, at least 14 were women and children, Gaza health officials said. : :'( :'( :'(

I know we have seen these horrific scenes in the past, but it never gets any easier to digest. I fear it could be much more serious this time with the instability in Egypt, the civil war in Syria, the Iranian situation and the current uncertainty of the whole of the Middle East region.

2. Re: Heartbreaking!!!! 
    Platinum Member
    No doubt its a terrible thing, but the bit you never hear about in the news, and the bit we shouldn't lose sight of, is that this has been going on for hundreds upon hundreds of years!

Its only now that we have the technology and ease of travel to be aware of it, and the fact that they now have rockets, bombs and guns to kill each other more effectively and with a considerable amount more noise, that we're actually taking any notice!

From time immemorial these nations have been raiding, murdering, pillaging, massacring, invading and just generally squabbling among themselves.

3. Re: Heartbreaking!!!! 
    Diamond Member
    “Hundreds of years”? :-?

On May 14, 1948, the Jewish People's Council declared the establishment of the State of Israel

4. Re: Heartbreaking!!!! 

5. Re: Heartbreaking!!!! 
    Platinum Member
    If it wasn't so terribly sad, then it might be funny that these people are one and the same, if their biblical stories are to be believed.

6. Re: Heartbreaking!!!! 
    Quote Originally Posted by monday21
    “Hundreds of years”? :-?

On May 14, 1948, the Jewish People's Council declared the establishment of the State of Israel
    I think what G03 is getting at is since records began it would appear that area of the world has seen rule/leadership change evey 200 years on average each time resulting in wars lasting many years each time and even when the change of rule has happend it still has fleeting invasions. It is probably safe to say the area of modern day Palestine/Israel has never seen more than 20 years at a time of peace where mass blood shed hasnt hapened and probably never will as it houses sacred sites to atleast 5 different religions....

7. Re: Heartbreaking!!!! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosbie
    [quote author=monday21 link=1353278642/2#2 date=1353308060]“Hundreds of years”? :-?

I think what G03 is getting at is since records began it would appear that area of the world has seen rule/leadership change evey 200 years on average each time resulting in wars lasting many years each time and even when the change of rule has happend it still has fleeting invasions. It is probably safe to say the area of modern day Palestine/Israel has never seen more than 20 years at a time of peace where mass blood shed hasnt hapened and probably never will as it houses sacred sites to atleast 5 different religions....[/quote]
    You're absolutely right but I can think of very few countries that haven't seen some form of conflict in the last 20 years. Be it an act of terrorism or a 'perfectly legitimate and in no way illegal invasion' of another country.
    I imagine there were discussions going on in Israel regarding the British and their constant conflicts in Northern Ireland, The Faulklands, Sierra Leone, Iraq, Afghanistan, Korea, Bosnia..........
    'They're always fighting. Don't they want peace?'
    I guess it just depends which side of the fence you're sat on and who's feeding you the information

8. Re: Heartbreaking!!!! 
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    [quote author=Crosbie link=1353278642/5#5 date=1353332473][quote author=monday21 link=1353278642/2#2 date=1353308060]“Hundreds of years”? :-?

I think what G03 is getting at is since records began it would appear that area of the world has seen rule/leadership change evey 200 years on average each time resulting in wars lasting many years each time and even when the change of rule has happend it still has fleeting invasions. It is probably safe to say the area of modern day Palestine/Israel has never seen more than 20 years at a time of peace where mass blood shed hasnt hapened and probably never will as it houses sacred sites to atleast 5 different religions....[/quote]
    You're absolutely right but I can think of very few countries that haven't seen some form of conflict in the last 20 years. Be it an act of terrorism or a 'perfectly legitimate and in no way illegal invasion' of another country.
    I imagine there were discussions going on in Israel regarding the British and their constant conflicts in Northern Ireland, The Faulklands, Sierra Leone, Iraq, Afghanistan, Korea, Bosnia..........
    'They're always fighting. Don't they want peace?'
    I guess it just depends which side of the fence you're sat on and who's feeding you the information[/quote]
    Indeed, very true and does depend on which side of the fence your on but i would add the conflicts you mention above are all different in why they happend, how they happend, how long they went on for etc. compared with the continual turmoil in Israel which is something different altogether. :-X

9. Re: Heartbreaking!!!! 
    Diamond Member
    Apologies G3o, I misunderstood what you meant. :-[

10. Re: Heartbreaking!!!! 
    Banned
    The people in control of Israel are evil