Thread: got punted by a landrover freelander

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
  1. Re: got punted by a landrover freelander 
    Platinum Member
    Take it easy buddy Don'y go overdoing things

2. Re: got punted by a landrover freelander 
    Just a quick update on my situation.

So not such good news this week,

such is the extent of damage to my femur, I will be in and out of surgery for the upcoming 12 months - there goes the Isle of Man this year.

They need to shorten my left leg by about 4 cm and replace the hardware in my leg for heavier duty stuff.

They will shorten it because it needs two flat surfaces rather than the mess that's there at the moment. Will be looking at Feb for the first part.

The second part, once it has healed and I am dizzy from walking round in circles due to 1 leg being shorter than the other, will be to surgically break it again and add a lengthening device that will stretch my leg by 1mm a day. It will do so by having magnetic screws in the device and using a magnetic device once a day to turn the screws, so no soft tissue damage every day.... (silver linings and all that)

Once healed, they will then turn their attention back to my knee.

Out of action for 9 months now and it's going to be at least another 9, depending on how fast the NHS decide to take.

My solicitor is just about to issue court proceedings as myself as the claimant. I still feel completely not at fault but have been told it will more than likely come off as 50 / 50, insurance companies are happy to take your hard earned wonga, but don't like to pay out. Not that I am claiming on mine, I will still take a hit in any future cover I will have.

All this and I start to worry about losing my employment for it being an "operational inconvenience" which will put an end to my health insurance.

Not the week and visit to the surgeons that I expected (or was hoping for)

3. Re: got punted by a landrover freelander 
    Diamond Member
    Sorry to hear that Ginger.

I wish you well and hope it all works out in the end.

4. Re: got punted by a landrover freelander 
    Oh mate that all sounds pretty savage!

Can’t believe how much damage has been done at a relatively low speed. You would have suffered less if you just led under her wheels and let he drive back and forth over you. :-/

The amount of damage to you would result in a huge payout on paper if not a fault so think you may have a big fight on your hands there :'( So annoying. Makes you wonder why we all pay ludicrous insurance premiums to then have to fight so hard to make genuine claims and wait what seems an eternity for any payout. >

Don’t lose hope!

5. Re: got punted by a landrover freelander 
    Ginge I hope this gets sorted mate and you do get the compensation you deserve.

I hate insurers that wont pay out for a case like yours but are more than willing to pay out cash for a 5 mph knock in a car that hasn't resulted in whiplash.
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

http://tbex.co.uk/

6. Re: got punted by a landrover freelander 
    phew!!! at least on the bright side they ain't gonna shorten yer weener

What was the plod action over the tyres on the landi ? This is somat to concentrate on as basically if below minimum tread the vehicle was not legal and therefore should not have been on the road

Hope that everything goes well and they fix ya up and you get some compo payment GW
    I need amusement in my sad life and it looks, very much, like you fit this requirement admirably..............begin the amusement!!!!!

7. Re: got punted by a landrover freelander 
    Cheers for the well wishes guys.

Tell me about it Crosser.

Indeed Col, that would be dire and it oddly does help.

My solicitor still feels that it will likely be 50/50 and I understand that he does not want to build my hopes up. I am seriously hoping what with the evidence that the car was not roadworthy and other road users have noted that she did not look right when pulling out and the fact she gout out the car holding 2 small lapdogs, which does kind of cement driving without due care and attention, but as we know unfortunately courts do not look favourably on motorcyclists and I know that the other side will play the "excessive use of speed" card despite witnesses putting me at < 10mph. She did break her arm when the airbag went off which also does suggest she did not have bot hands on the wheel. I live in hope that she was on the phone / waving to someone and when the airbag deployed, it made her give herself a good old slap in the face which broke her arm....

I have no idea if any action was taken against the driver for the un-roadworthyness of the vehicle. I really would like to know if at the very least points were issued as this would help my claim. Does anyone know how / if I can find out??. From what I understand though, no legal action was taken by law enforcement. In fact I do not feel that it was handled very well at all by the police. I must say at this point that it is not a blanket "all police are terrible" as I know there are a lot of good guys out there and that do their job to the best of their ability.

I agree, the vehicle should not have been on the road, but I am not a legal expert and the officer overseeing said to me that it would have no bearing on the incident anyhow.... I just can't get my head round this as it should not have even been there in the first place :-/ can anyone let me know how I should handle that. I do have pictures of the vehicle post crash and have provided them to my solicitor. There was less than 1mm tread left on front left and the front right was also well under legal limits.

Needless to say, it has been a very poor year for me and I will not be back together until at least this coming September, a year and a half.... crumbs..... I'm hoping my solicitor fights the good fight and can get me some good recompense, though I really fear it will be a pitiful amount compared with the pain, discomfort and inconvenience of it all, to be honest no money would make up for having to spend a year and a half incapacitated.

I was hoping it would be an easier fix than it has turned out to be and that I could go to the Isle of Man this year (had booked it) as a consolation for missing my planned and sort of paid for Europe tour.

Oh well always next year.... (hopefully) [s]thats what I said last year[/s]

8. Re: got punted by a landrover freelander 
    Couple of questions?

Which way was the freelander going? Turning left, same way as you, or crossing the slow traffic to turn right into Bath?

Was she waved out by the driver in the slow line you were passing?
    If she was - What was that vehicle?

9. Re: got punted by a landrover freelander 
    Hi Del,

She was turning right to go into Bath.

I have no idea if she was waved out but I suspect it. That is something I guess I will never know.

The vehicle at the front was a small car (VW polo from memory) The driver of the polo has made a good statement that they failed to look right while pulling out and has not mentioned waving her out.

10. Re: got punted by a landrover freelander 
    Personally I would suspect the driver of the car you were about to pass waved them out and quite naturally the driver being waved out, thinking its now safe from the right only looked left for a gap in the traffic.

The driver of the car will not admit to waving her out for fear of being blammed. Did the statement from the Freelander say she was waved out?

This is probably quite a common type of accident - I bet London see's a few of these a day. Because there has been similar accidents in the past they have already been fought thru the courts. So lawyers will look back on old similar cases where judges have already made decisions.
    Hence the lawyers will not be in a hurry to go to court.

Are you using someone like "White Dalton" who are bike sympathetic?