Notices

Thread: And they're off!

1. And they're off! 
    Diamond Member
    For anyone who doesn't know, sadly my aunty passed away from cancer 2 weeks ago. To honour her memory, and raise some money for Macmillan, I've entered the Gloucester 10k race in February.

It's not a long distance to some, but anyone who knows me knows I'm not quite your 'average runner'! lol It will certainly be a challenge.

If anyone would like to donate, I'm sure you all know someone who has had the help and support of the Macmilllan nurses somewhere, any donations would be gratefully received. Any body doubles to take my place would be even more gratefully received!

My page is at https://www.justgiving.com/aidanrunning

Thanks WB

2. Re: And they're off! 
    Good luck! Have you got a training programme sorted yet?

3. Re: And they're off! 
    Good luck mate I've done a number of 10k's and it's a nice distance - a good challenge but still very achievable
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

4. Re: And they're off! 
    Diamond Member
    Not got a programme, but I'm doing a 3 5ks a week for now.

5. Re: And they're off! 
    I would recommend some interval training and ramp runs on the treadmill. It will buid your stamina and endurance.
    When I did my run I carved through the field every time the ground got boggy or we came to a hill as my pace never changed when everyone else's did.
    Get a decent running soundtrack too. It really helps.

6. Re: And they're off! 
    Fair play matey but take the bus --far easier

I am genuinely sorry to hear about your aunty SQ but hey this stuff happens and fact of life I'm sorry to tell you. Good luck with yer running mate---don't start a defribulator donation post if you have a coronary FFS!!!!

Personally I don't wanna keep reading about rellys croaking as it happens to all of us if you gotta family or those chucked in an orphanage who constantly bleat abaht looking for rellys

No apologies if those who can't face reality are, perhaps, somewhat foooooked orf :-*

Eat some mince pies ---lash on da brandy butter and cream

IT'S CHRISTMAS !!!!!
    I need amusement in my sad life and it looks, very much, like you fit this requirement admirably..............begin the amusement!!!!!

7. Re: And they're off! 
    Good luck.

My only advise is to build up the training slowly.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

8. Re: And they're off! 
    Diamond Member
    I'm currently managing 7.5k training runs so I'm hopeful of at least completing it!

Any sponsorship I get is spurring me on. Had 2 so far so if anyone feels they can spare anything at all, the charity will benefit not me!

Thanks to those who have given generously already!

www.justgiving.com/aidanrunning

9. Re: And they're off! 
    Diamond Member
    Another milestone complete tonight!

5 miles! Not very quick but need to get used to the distance so having to really watch my pace.

The weight is quite literally falling off!

10. Re: And they're off! 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    I would recommend some interval training and ramp runs on the treadmill. It will buid your stamina and endurance.
    When I did my run I carved through the field every time the ground got boggy or we came to a hill as my pace never changed when everyone else's did.
    Get a decent running soundtrack too. It really helps.
    Have joined a running club, and we are doing hill reps and fartleks over the next couple of weeks so hopefully that should improve fitness quite rapidly!

I have now run my race distance a couple of times in training, so fairly confident of finishing, but I'm homebound at the moment with an achilles injury. Had to go and be re-gait tested as it turns out the reps at DW aren't worth their salt. Went to Run Swindon instead after my physio recommended new trainers.

Have entered a couple of 10 milers as well now in March & May though as things are going well. If I finish those ok, then I'll sign up for a couple of half marathons towards the back end of the year. I'm not very fast, but the distance is coming with training. Just have to be careful to increase by more than 10% a week.

Thanks to everyone that has donated so far