Notices

Thread: Speeding Ticket

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Speeding Ticket 
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    [quote author=Nicky link=1359401563/16#16 date=1359479284]
    I'm all in favour of rigidly sticking to the 30's in towns etc and wish they were enforced but putting stupid, idiotic, low limits like 50 on a clear, straight, dual carriageway like that is plain stupid....argh feel better now
    If people didn't keep dying there, it wouldn't be a problem! lol

Reduced speed limits can only put in place on an otherwise national zone for a reason. Sometimes a reason you or I might not be aware of!

One thing I didn't realise, is camera vans are not allowed to put the money made back into the police forces, they have to go back into local safety projects. The guy leading the course I had to do, said all the money in hampshire pretty much solely goes back into running the Air Ambulance service.

Having now done the course, and being apprehensive about it beforehand, I think it should be a mandatory requirement every 5 years for any license holder to attend one. How many of you know your CURRENT highway code?

I only did my driving test 5 years ago, and my bike one 2 years, but already lots had changed that I hadn't realised![/quote]

CURRENT HWC yep pretty familiar with that having just passed my Advanced bike test It's still badly written, extremely boring and clearly read by few road users.

Fact is some speed limits are so ridiculous they are ignored.

I'm really not anti all speed limits just some eg the one in Bath is plain daft.

Sorry dont want to take this off topic...feeling better now.

2. Re: Speeding Ticket 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky
    [quote author=Squashed_Fly link=1359401563/18#18 date=1359480323][quote author=Nicky link=1359401563/16#16 date=1359479284]
    I'm all in favour of rigidly sticking to the 30's in towns etc and wish they were enforced but putting stupid, idiotic, low limits like 50 on a clear, straight, dual carriageway like that is plain stupid....argh feel better now
    If people didn't keep dying there, it wouldn't be a problem! lol

Reduced speed limits can only put in place on an otherwise national zone for a reason. Sometimes a reason you or I might not be aware of!

One thing I didn't realise, is camera vans are not allowed to put the money made back into the police forces, they have to go back into local safety projects. The guy leading the course I had to do, said all the money in hampshire pretty much solely goes back into running the Air Ambulance service.

Having now done the course, and being apprehensive about it beforehand, I think it should be a mandatory requirement every 5 years for any license holder to attend one. How many of you know your CURRENT highway code?

I only did my driving test 5 years ago, and my bike one 2 years, but already lots had changed that I hadn't realised![/quote]

CURRENT HWC yep pretty familiar with that having just passed my Advanced bike test It's still badly written, extremely boring and clearly read by few road users.

Fact is some speed limits are so ridiculous they are ignored.

I'm really not anti all speed limits just some eg the one in Bath is plain daft.

Sorry dont want to take this off topic...feeling better now.
    [/quote]
    Nicky. I agree to Camera onthe dual carriageway heading out of Bath towards the roundabout is daft. However, the other on the same side coming down the hill isn't as there is a junction & then soon after the slip road on the the main A4 roundabout.

3. Re: Speeding Ticket 
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonbaker
    [quote author=Rabb link=1359401563/7#7 date=1359410267][quote author=Conehead link=1359401563/6#6 date=1359406430][quote author=Rabb link=1359401563/5#5 date=1359405153]I believe it takes two photos of you at a specified time gap.
    It then calculates your speed by working out how long it took you to get from the closest marker line to the furthest marker line; then it's a simple calculation to see if you're speeding.
    I've only ever been done once 72 mph in a 50 mph zone (10 years ago)
    3 points & £60 fine....
    Cheers Rabb. I should be ok if thats the case. I blame the X5 trying to show off next to me, thus forcing me to show off. :-[ :-[ :-[[/quote]

Where was the camera?
    If it was in "Bath & North East Somerset" you'll probably be alright as their cameras are no longer in operation. If it is in Wiltshire - The cameras are still in operation.[/quote]

I think you will find its the other way round. Cameras have been switched off in Wilts for over a year now, also no camera vans. Somerset still very much live.[/quote]

Maybe we are all lucky, the majority of speed cameras around here in North Somerset have been completely removed, not that there were a huge number in the first place!! We should all think ourselves lucky when you look at the number of the things in the Midlands!!

4. Re: Speeding Ticket 
    Banned
    If people re took driving tests every 5 years we wouldn't need speed limits
    Bad driving kills not speed

5. Re: Speeding Ticket 
    I agree with Swanny on this one plus they would use this as another source of revenue.
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

6. Re: Speeding Ticket 
    Banned
    It's quite simple, you fail your test and you don't drive until you pass it, it would make the roads safer over night

7. Re: Speeding Ticket 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny
    No, speed definately kills. It only doesn't if you don't hit anyone.

8. Re: Speeding Ticket 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny

I find myself disagreeing with you on this. It would just be another tax. How many road users drive/ride everyday in the same way as they would under test conditions?

For example, no motorist is going to sit a driving test while using a mobile phone, yet such a sight is commonplace on our roads.

Passing a test does not automatically make you a better driver/rider

9. Re: Speeding Ticket 
    Diamond Member
    Agree with Ken. But if people had to do the Driver Awareness Course it might help. I found it quite sobering, and it's definately made me drive a bit more carefully and to the speed limits.

10. Re: Speeding Ticket 
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    Agree with Ken. But if people had to do the Driver Awareness Course it might help. I found it quite sobering, and it's definately made me drive a bit more carefully and to the speed limits.
    Theres quite a few on here that have done the course : it did make me more aware of the limits, and in some instances, im actually going faster