Notices

Thread: 'Your country needs you'

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Re: 'Your country needs you' 
    Banned
    Are you saying all lorry drivers can read and write?? If so I bet you're wrong.

2. Re: 'Your country needs you' 
    Platinum Member
    I'm not up on lorry driving tests, but I certainly never got tested for literacy when passing my riding/driving tests ?????

Many driving jobs may involve additional skills like form filling, but I'm sure they all don't.

3. Re: 'Your country needs you' 
    Diamond Member
    Of course you don’t need to be able to read and write to drive a lorry.

In the context of the point under discussion however, I doubt very much that a reputable haulage firm would offer a job to a driver who could not read or right, especially at a time when an employer can afford to be choosy. :-?

I mean come on – you need a degree to carry out the most basic (of equal importance) role within the cogs of society’s wheel nowadays.

4. Re: 'Your country needs you' 
    Quote Originally Posted by monday21
    Of course you don’t need to be able to read and write to drive a lorry.

In the context of the point under discussion however, I doubt very much that a reputable haulage firm would offer a job to a driver who could not read or right, especially at a time when an employer can afford to be choosy. :-?

I mean come on – you need a degree to carry out the most basic (of equal importance) role within the cogs of society’s wheel nowadays.
    .......or spell :-?
    I need amusement in my sad life and it looks, very much, like you fit this requirement admirably..............begin the amusement!!!!!

5. Re: 'Your country needs you' 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Col
    [quote author=monday21 link=1360272409/32#32 date=1361391543]Of course you don’t need to be able to read and write to drive a lorry.

.......or spell :-?
    [/quote]

Sometimes you just have to hold your hands-up. :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

How ironic - that's my lorry driving career over before it started - write? ;D

Ps. thanks Col for bringing that to my attention - you can pay for the pints now. ;D

6. Re: 'Your country needs you' 
    mmmm seems I'm now a member of the 'Spelling Inquisition'.......you may get a poke with a cushion !!!! [Monty Python ]

Couldn't resist it Ken ;D

pints ??? errrrr ummmm do what ?? eh!! what was that....bad connection can't read a thing on here
    I need amusement in my sad life and it looks, very much, like you fit this requirement admirably..............begin the amusement!!!!!

7. Re: 'Your country needs you' 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Col
    mmmm seems I'm now a member of the 'Spelling Inquisition'.......you may get a poke with a cushion !!!! [Monty Python ]

Couldn't resist it Ken ;D

pints ??? errrrr ummmm do what ?? eh!! what was that....bad connection can't read a thing on here

What made it worse was the fact that I was commenting about reading and righting (writing) :-[

All great fun mate. ;D

Ken’s proverb

He who pitches tent on high moral ground must keep tight guy ropes.

I’ll be keeping a close eye on yours for you Col

;D

8. Re: 'Your country needs you' 
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny
    Local government provide services such as police, fire, recycling, refuse collection and removal, schools, leisure centres, park and ride schemes, parks and open spaces, street cleaning, subsidising of public transport, tourism, museums, social housing grants, housing and council tax benefits, environmental health and food safety in pubs, restaurants and shops, planning services, support for voluntary groups, meals on wheels, facilities for young people, adapting homes for disabled people, play centres for children, cctv installation, sports facilities, issuing taxi licences, flood defences, and many others.

Sorry but I don't want to pay for that stuff. I don't even have a street light near my house, I don't visit the museum, the only thing worth paying for is the fire brigade, emptying the bins and cleaning the streets and looking after the parks. I couldn't give a monkeys about the rest on the list.
    Tourism in Trogtown...... Do me a favour ;D
    Ahhh the old "as long as I'm alright, screw everyone else" policy...

You're right of course, why should you pay for adapting a home for a disabled/elderly person who is unable to live in a normal house and unable to fund these modifications themselves? Screw them, right? Let's just hope that you either have the funds or never need to use such modifications. We should also stop their meals on wheels as well, they shouldn't have access to decent meals, if they can't make it themselves then let 'em starve, should help curb the welfare budget a bit more at least.

Of course we have no need for the Police either, if someone gets attacked or their home broken into the last thing we want is for them to be able to call someone for help, they should just suck it up and move on, right? Victims of hit and runs should either die quietly or live with the consequences, let's hope that you never get someone pull out in front of you and then vanish safe in the knowledge that there is no one you can call to help you find them, especially as you have also gotten rid of the CCTV covering that street cos you didn't want to pay for that either.

We should close all the museums and sell off the items they hold, they're only places for kids to go on school field trips after all. It shouldn't be available for the public to view, it should be in private collections for the privileged few to see. Items such as the incredibly rare and valuable sutton hoo treasure should be sent to 'cash for gold' or sold to a rich foreign collector never to be enjoyed by the public.

Park and ride schemes and subsidised public should be scrapped, we need more cars in our town and city centres, it's like riding through a ghost town at rush hour at the moment.

We don't really need street cleaners either, obviously all that litter will pick itself up, and of course it will never find it's way onto the road and cause a problem for bikes, if it does and we get a puncture we can just buy more tyres, they're cheap enough.

Don't get me started on housing and council tax benefits, if disabled, elderly or people on low incomes can't afford to put a roof over their heads then they can live on the streets, right? These people are a drain on society and should be abandoned to save everyone else a bit of cash, after all, it's all about you, right?

Who need's food safety in our cafes, pubs and restaurants, it's not important, who cares if they clean their kitchens properly or not? It doesn't really matter if their cook, prepare and store their food properly, E.coli, Salmonella and tapeworms are not fatal to the majority, and those who do die from them, well that's just natural selection. What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger an all that.

You know there isn't enough young people wandering the streets in the evenings, they are all in those safe facilities that we provide. They should all be out roaming the streets, at least they won't be able to vandalise any playgrounds because we not longer fund them. Of course you never went to the local playground with your friends, as that was a free service that you don't believe the public should fund, or now that you're an adult, you think the younger people of today shouldn't have access to the same facilities you enjoyed as a 'young person'?

What's with all these schools? we don't need to educate our children, we should take a lesson from the Victorians and send them all to work down the pits or in work houses (or rather we can't because we disposed of all the items and information we had in our museums about the Victorian age). Who needs an educated workforce, we can import educated people if we need them and parents can just quit work to look after their kids once we close all the schools. I trust that you never bothered with school, as you didn't want to burden the taxpayer? I don't know if you have kids, but I assume that if you do that you don't want them to have an education and keep them out of school? Do you also tell your friends and family with children that they shouldn't be sending their kids to school as you don't think you should pay for it, even though you benefit from it? Must make you very popular...

Obviously you don't live in a place that will suffer from flooding, ever? as for those people who are not as lucky, well screw them! It's not you that's suffering so it's obviously not important, and it's all about making sure you're alright, everyone else can go jump.
    Don't get confused between my personality and my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are...

9. Re: 'Your country needs you' 
    Vote Hunar! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

10. Re: 'Your country needs you' 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    Vote Hunar! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Ditto!