Notices

Thread: 'Your country needs you'

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
  1. Re: 'Your country needs you' 
    Banned
    Humar I certainly don't have a **** everyone else approach, I just don't like to see my tax wasted on **** we don't need. And even more I don't want my tax wasted on people that buy houses in high risk flood zones.

By the way I too have war heroes in my family :P

2. Re: 'Your country needs you' 
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny
    Humar I certainly don't have a **** everyone else approach......
    I would refer you to reply #13 on this thread - read what you wrote there and you'll see that you have just contradicted yourself. If you are unable to see this, try Specsavers...
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

3. Re: 'Your country needs you' 
    Can I point out that practically everyone has a relative that was part of the war effort. Bringing it up means nothing and is just basking in reflective glory.

You can't pick and choose what your taxes, rates etc are used for. I got thrown out of a council tennants house today after fitting a £6000 central heating system which was free because at the end of the job there was a 1ft area of fine dust on the floor. She doesnt apreciate or deserve the safety net that has been put in place for her. Should we scrap it? No, because there are people whos lives depend on it. That's the way it works.

If you want to opt out of society, go for it. You won't be missed.

4. Re: 'Your country needs you' 
    Quote Originally Posted by pilninggas
    I don't think that Swanny was taking the 'f*ck everyone else' approach. I live in an area with high crime, when I moved to the area I knew full well insurance would be dearer and that the potential for me to be a victim of crime would be higher. I took a knowing risk.

In the seven years i have lived here I have been been the victim of crime 6 times (attempted break-in and theft amongst other things).

Now I knew the risks, but I still decided to live here - I've never moaned once [possibly about the police's slow response!] and the useless uncaring local MP. A lot of people told me I needed my head reading and still do, maybe they are right. I'll tell you something i don't expect anyone else to foot the bill for my higher insurance costs, the additional measures i have to take etc. Personal responsibility seems to be dirty-phrase these days.

On a footnote, i do think we should cut overseas aid and plough that into long term flood prevention, but of course that also puts me as 'f*ck the rest' type by some of your measures, as I don't give 2-sh1ts about foreign aid to some dictator-ran african hell hole. :P
    That would suggest that you have not read his posts, as Scotty has pointed out, read reply #13. I would suggest that someone who thinks that the tax payer shouldn't fund modifications to homes so that disabled people, who are unable to fund these modifications themselves, have a better quality of life and retain their independence for longer, or believes that people on low incomes or find themselves unable to get a job should receive no help with housing and council tax costs, who believes that we shouldn't fund schools to educate our children, has a "f**k everyone else" attitude.

As you said, you where aware of the high crime levels in your area when you moved in, so I guess that in that respect you shouldn't be surprised when you become a victim, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't complain about it, or try and get something done about it. What if you where not aware though, or what if the area had a very low level of crime and then after you moved in the crime levels rose dramatically, would your position remain the same? Would you still be happy about having to fork out the extra on insurance and additional measures? or would you be demanding that when you moved in you believed it to be a safe area, and something should be done now that it's more risky? A situation that many flood victims found themselves in last year.

As for the foreign aid budget, I think that is something that we should be immensely proud of. I agree that in some places we need to evaluate how that money is spent, but I think the fact that we are helping those less fortunate than ourselves is something that we, as a nation, can and should feel very good about. I just want to be sure that I understand you point of view correctly, we shouldn't help the men, women and children of a country who are suffering, starving and dying because of the person/s in charge? That's fairly harsh don't you think? Cutting the aid budget would also mean that people who do need our help, that don't live in an dictator-ran African hell hole, would also suffer, and to what end? so that we can afford to shop at Waitrose rather than Aldi? Given the choice I would rather shop at Aldi, and know that with my help an innocent child might live to see adulthood, or a village gets clean and safe drinking water. That's just me though, I would rather lend a helping hand than turn a blind eye and ignore the suffering. I would challenge you to visit some of these places and see the suffering for yourself, and then see if you still hold the same view that we shouldn't help them, and they should be left to suffer.
    Don't get confused between my personality and my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are...

5. Re: 'Your country needs you' 
    Humar I certainly don't have a **** everyone else approach, I just don't like to see my tax wasted on **** we don't need. And even more I don't want my tax wasted on people that buy houses in high risk flood zones.

By the way I too have war heroes in my family :P
    I believe you said that YOU shouldn't pay for things that YOU don't want, not things that you THINK we (society in general) don't need.

As Scotty pointed out, read reply #13 on this thread which you wrote and explain to me how you not wanting to help disabled people live in their own homes or get a decent meal delivered isn't a "f**k them" attitude? I have already raised this and other points in a previous post, I note that you have not responded to the majority of those points and just picked out the point about flooding. Perhaps if you did that would go someway to helping me understand how it isn't a "f**k them" type of attitude that you put across in reply #13.

I hope those war heroes in your family are rich enough to pay for their own home modifications if they need them now or in the future, from your comments I trust they would receive no help from you? How about the more recent batch of heroes who come home with limbs blown off and other physical and mental disabilities? we, or you, shouldn't bother to help them either? Or how about a regular member of the public, who has never served in our armed forces but has a disability which means that in order to live as much of an independent life as possible they need some modifications to their home, but their disability prevents them from working to earn the money to pay for them? I can remind you of what you said in case you're not sure,

Local government provide services such as adapting homes for disabled people. Sorry but I don't want to pay for that stuff, I couldn't give a monkeys
    Sounds like a "F**k them" attitude to me, but I could be wrong, I would be interested in undertanding how it isn't though.

Oh and it's HUNAR
    Don't get confused between my personality and my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are...

6. Re: 'Your country needs you' 
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    Can I point out that practically everyone has a relative that was part of the war effort. Bringing it up means nothing and is just basking in reflective glory.

You can't pick and choose what your taxes, rates etc are used for. I got thrown out of a council tennants house today after fitting a £6000 central heating system which was free because at the end of the job there was a 1ft area of fine dust on the floor. She doesnt apreciate or deserve the safety net that has been put in place for her. Should we scrap it? No, because there are people whos lives depend on it. That's the way it works.

My apologies if being proud of what my grandparents have done offends you. Bringing it up isn't about basking in reflective glory at all. I was trying to make the point that saying the tax payer shouldn't fund modifications to a disabled persons home is kinda harsh considering what some of those disabled people have done for us, and that was the best example I could think of, if you let me know what your relatives did I would be happy to include their efforts should I need to make this point again, but I was not privy to that information at the time.

7. Re: 'Your country needs you' 
    Banned
    I bet it must cost you a fortune when you go shopping around Bath giving money to all the street beggers being that you're such a kind and caring person. How are you ever going to manage when the financial system collapses?

Surprisingly all the members of my family that served in the war are dead.

By the way you should educate yourself about who the real dictators are today.

8. Re: 'Your country needs you' 
    Quote Originally Posted by swarwick
    [quote author=dan_geoghegan link=1360272409/52#52 date=1361491532]Can I point out that practically everyone has a relative that was part of the war effort. Bringing it up means nothing and is just basking in reflective glory.

My apologies if being proud of what my grandparents have done offends you. Bringing it up isn't about basking in reflective glory at all. I was trying to make the point that saying the tax payer shouldn't fund modifications to a disabled persons home is kinda harsh considering what some of those disabled people have done for us, and that was the best example I could think of, if you let me know what your relatives did I would be happy to include their efforts should I need to make this point again, but I was not privy to that information at the time.
    [/quote]
    Oh so deeply offended ;D ;D ;D

9. Re: 'Your country needs you' 
    I bet it must cost you a fortune when you go shopping around Bath giving money to all the street beggers being that you're such a kind and caring person. How are you ever going to manage when the financial system collapses?

Surprisingly all the members of my family that served in the war are dead.

By the way you should educate yourself about who the real dictators are today.
    I rarely if ever got to bath, but if I see a homeless person on the street in Swindon, and I have a few coins in my pocket I will get them a hot snack or drink. If I don't have any money then I don't, simple as that.

Now are you going to answer the points I raised or continue to avoid them?

10. Re: 'Your country needs you' 
    Platinum Member
    Swanny : care to have a go at the BBC calculator

Tax: Do you give more than you get?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13633966

I'll show you mine if you show me yours