Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
Can I point out that practically everyone has a relative that was part of the war effort. Bringing it up means nothing and is just basking in reflective glory.

You can't pick and choose what your taxes, rates etc are used for. I got thrown out of a council tennants house today after fitting a £6000 central heating system which was free because at the end of the job there was a 1ft area of fine dust on the floor. She doesnt apreciate or deserve the safety net that has been put in place for her. Should we scrap it? No, because there are people whos lives depend on it. That's the way it works.

If you want to opt out of society, go for it. You won't be missed.
My apologies if being proud of what my grandparents have done offends you. Bringing it up isn't about basking in reflective glory at all. I was trying to make the point that saying the tax payer shouldn't fund modifications to a disabled persons home is kinda harsh considering what some of those disabled people have done for us, and that was the best example I could think of, if you let me know what your relatives did I would be happy to include their efforts should I need to make this point again, but I was not privy to that information at the time.