Notices

Thread: Breakdown cover

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Breakdown cover 
    I would urge all you to check yours.

I broke down in wales today doing Hoggin the Bridge and called 'First Call Breakdown and recovery'. They were to say the least CRAP. It appears that because I dont have a full service history on the bike it invalidates my policy. What a bunch of $%"*&% "&£%$^&£*". I explained I have only had the bike for a month and they said I should have got the full history from the previous owner. RUBBISH. Servicing the bike yourself is not valid so check your docs before you are in the same situation as me. Enough of the ranting as the ride before breaking down was absolutely awesome and the locals in the pub (after the breakdown whilst waiting for my wife to collect me) were a great lot too.
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

2. Re: Breakdown cover 
    how on earth did the subject of servicing come up during a breakdown call?

Afternote: Just checked them out on Review Centre lots of unhappy customers

3. Re: Breakdown cover 
    I've heard of breakdown companies specifiying the vehicle must be roadworthy (i.e. MOT), but never that it has to have full service history! :-?
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...

4. Re: Breakdown cover 
    Thats a real shocker mate, what a bunch of tossers, ive got my breakdown cover included in my insurance policy, with carole nash, and it allows around 4 call outs per year, ive used it once, and there was no mention of service history, did you get the bike back home ok?

5. Re: Breakdown cover 
    Banned
    Is this the one???
    http://www.firstcallmotorbreakdown.c...ide_policy.cfm

3. The vehicle must be maintained at all times in a roadworthy condition in accordance with the law and be regularly serviced in accordance with your manufacturer’s recommendations.

Doesn't say anything about who services it.
    I would demand a full refund

6. Re: Breakdown cover 
    Getting fussy are they :

Got AA ..non alcoholic variety ... been very good but have to get 'other' cover if abroad as the bike is sadly too old and they won't cover it
    I need amusement in my sad life and it looks, very much, like you fit this requirement admirably..............begin the amusement!!!!!

7. Re: Breakdown cover 
    seems like the said company in the first post above seem only interested in taking peoples hard earned money and then not providing a service !!
    Ducati Diavel Dark

8. Re: Breakdown cover 
    I've always stuck with the AA , RAC or green flag for breakdown - need to have faith in bein rescued
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

9. Re: Breakdown cover 
    Platinum Member
    First call have a really bad reputation.

One company worth considering if you are prepared to "pay & claim" are AutoAid.
    For £38 they will cover all your vehicles for you and your spouse.
    http://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/
    You have to pay & claim back but they have a good record anecdotally. The cover is platinum which means rescue, at home, recovery and onward travel.

Another option is Carole Nash who include European breakdown in their insurance policies. This is certainly good if you plan to go to Europ but may also be good just for UK use if their premium is good.
    I have heard only good things about both their motorcycle insurance and their breakdown cover and that includes from people who have had breakdowns abroad.

10. Re: Breakdown cover 
    Swanny, I havent checked but that sounds like the bull they were giving me.

They called me back after they had confirmed someone would be with me within an hour to ask about the servicing aspect and it was here she cancelled the callout saying the above and the policy had been invalidated. Arses.

The bike is still in wales about 5 mins from Chepstow. A fellow biker was doing gardening when he saw me and after a chat he offered his garage for a few nights till I can hire a van and get to him. Will be collecting her on Tuesday.
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.