Notices

Thread: Best dunking biscuits

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Re: Best dunking biscuits 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    [quote author=Jon_W link=1361269490/28#28 date=1361367473][quote author=monday21 link=1361269490/24#24 date=1361366279]I’m putting a real dampener on proceedings on this fun thread. :

Did you know that it is very common practice for famous brand named and supermarket’s own brand biscuits to be baked in the same factory/bakehouse in the UK? :-X

In fairness to the suppliers they do change the packaging/labels. :P :-X
    Common. It's normal. Even multiple supermarkets are made in the same place. I don't know of any supermarket that owns it's own food factory...

The differences are not just the packet, but the ingredients, mixture, and sublties in the process (temperature, mix times, etc). Basically the only thing often shared is machinery and roof under which these things are made.[/quote]

When I was in college (yeah I know.. long long time ago) I worked holidays in a creamery. We put the cream into cartons for all the high street supermarkets; M&S, Waitrose, Sainsbury's etc etc. It was all the same cream, produced exactly the same way - we just changed the pots and the labels on the machines when doing a different run. M&S was the most expensive because they sent an inspector down every week - none of the others did. On those inspection days we had to wear hairnets.... guess what happened on the other days?

I paid my rent in cream - I brought home some of those that couldn't be sold for whatever reason in my topbox.[/quote]

Are you sure about that Jon?

I have heard different, straight ‘from the horse’s mouth’. And not just from one horse, but from enough horses to make a Findus Lasagne and a family pack of Tesco burgers. ;D

And although a different product, I don’t recall the processing factory I worked in for a short while, canning different peas, etc for different retailers. We just changed the labels and carried on regardless.

2. Re: Best dunking biscuits 
    Quote Originally Posted by GixxerStu
    I over heard a conversation over duncking biscuits & which was the best biscuits for duncking in your Tea/Coffee.

Biscuits that got mentioned, Hob Knobs, Custard creams, Bourbons, Digestives.

Im worried about you Stu :-? :-? :-? :-?

3. Re: Best dunking biscuits 
    Quote Originally Posted by monday21
    [quote author=BMWGraeme link=1361269490/29#29 date=1361368154][quote author=Jon_W link=1361269490/28#28 date=1361367473][quote author=monday21 link=1361269490/24#24 date=1361366279]I’m putting a real dampener on proceedings on this fun thread. :

Did you know that it is very common practice for famous brand named and supermarket’s own brand biscuits to be baked in the same factory/bakehouse in the UK? :-X

In fairness to the suppliers they do change the packaging/labels. :P :-X
    Common. It's normal. Even multiple supermarkets are made in the same place. I don't know of any supermarket that owns it's own food factory...

The differences are not just the packet, but the ingredients, mixture, and sublties in the process (temperature, mix times, etc). Basically the only thing often shared is machinery and roof under which these things are made.[/quote]

When I was in college (yeah I know.. long long time ago) I worked holidays in a creamery. We put the cream into cartons for all the high street supermarkets; M&S, Waitrose, Sainsbury's etc etc. It was all the same cream, produced exactly the same way - we just changed the pots and the labels on the machines when doing a different run. M&S was the most expensive because they sent an inspector down every week - none of the others did. On those inspection days we had to wear hairnets.... guess what happened on the other days?

I paid my rent in cream - I brought home some of those that couldn't be sold for whatever reason in my topbox.[/quote]

Are you sure about that Jon?

I have heard different, straight ‘from the horse’s mouth’. And not just from one horse, but from enough horses to make a Findus Lasagne and a family pack of Tesco burgers. ;D

And although a different product, I don’t recall the processing factory I worked in for a short while, canning different peas, etc for different retailers. We just changed the labels and carried on regardless.
    [/quote]

I can only tell what I saw. It sounds like the creamery mentioned were breaking a few laws... Also fresh produce (cream, peas etc) are often the same variety and from farms certified by the major supermarkets.

Processed foods can often seem the same and use the same ingredients, but use a slightly different recipie. Also they can use the same recipie and different ingerdients and any variety in between.

We used to get involved in developing the products.... boring wasn't the half....
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

4. Re: Best dunking biscuits 
    Diamond Member
    Jon,

I think you have a lot more faith in the food industry and FSA than I do. When I lived in Scotland I recall that the supermarkets sold Orkney Cheddar and guess where it was produced? Yep, you guessed it – a creamery in Inverness. And Ayrshire-style bacon came from where? Yep, right again – Holland - deliberately misleading at the very least. >

Call me a cynic if you like - I reckon the recent scandal surrounding the food chain is just the tip of the horse’s tail. : :P

What are ‘Freddo Frog’ chocolate bars like for dunking? ;D

5. Re: Best dunking biscuits 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    It sounds like the creamery mentioned were breaking a few laws...
    Whatever you may think about the ethics of this, what actual laws do you think are being broken? The product is exactly what it says on the tin (or pot) and the retailers can decide whatever price they want to sell it for. There are loads of ways they can justify the pricing difference i.e M&S rents for their high st shops are higher than Sainsburys might be one of them. Although the reality is like with all retail operations - its a case of how much their market will stand.

6. Re: Best dunking biscuits 
    I would have to place my vote for hob nobs, closely followed by Maryland cookies.

7. Re: Best dunking biscuits 
    got to be jamie doggers ;D