Notices

Thread: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GixxerStu
    [quote author=Squashed_Fly link=1361444348/22#22 date=1361782553]

If you are unobservant, and haven't seen a car in your mirrors (or a bike), you don't need to indicate. However, and this the clincher, if your lack of observancy (and thus indication) was the contributing factor in an accident, then you could be prosecuted for driving without due care and attention. But not specifically for lack of indicator use.
    Exactly why the use of indicators is good practise & you are thought to use them when learning to drive/ride.....! [/quote]

I didn't say it wasn't good practice, or that I disagreed with it. Just highlighting the fact that according the highway code, they are only necessary to warn others of your actions.

If there is no-body in close enough proximity to be affected, by law (not by own opinion I'll say again for those that missed that in all my other posts!!!), you are not required to use them.

If you choose not to, and there is an accident, then you have to hope it wasn't because lack of observation, and/or that you missed something.

It doesn't hurt to be reminded every now and then what the law requires of you, as opposed to what we might call good practice and socially accepted good habits....

2. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    Diamond Member
    ps, if you can find me where it says in the highway code that you MUST use your indicators at EVERY change of direction, I'll happily retract and delete all my posts....

3. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richzx10r
    Redken,

The confined space is this thread. As there has already been disagreements. That's all.
    Obvious now, I thought you meant you liked this thread - sorry, I'm getting slow in my old age Rich. :-[

Brill ;D ;D ;D

4. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    [quote author=GixxerStu link=1361444348/28#28 date=1361787032][quote author=Squashed_Fly link=1361444348/22#22 date=1361782553]

If you are unobservant, and haven't seen a car in your mirrors (or a bike), you don't need to indicate. However, and this the clincher, if your lack of observancy (and thus indication) was the contributing factor in an accident, then you could be prosecuted for driving without due care and attention. But not specifically for lack of indicator use.
    Exactly why the use of indicators is good practise & you are thought to use them when learning to drive/ride.....! [/quote]

I didn't say it wasn't good practice, or that I disagreed with it. Just highlighting the fact that according the highway code, they are only necessary to warn others of your actions.

If there is no-body in close enough proximity to be affected, by law (not by own opinion I'll say again for those that missed that in all my other posts!!!), you are not required to use them.

If you choose not to, and there is an accident, then you have to hope it wasn't because lack of observation, and/or that you missed something.

It doesn't hurt to be reminded every now and then what the law requires of you, as opposed to what we might call good practice and socially accepted good habits....[/quote]

Can you let us know where in the Highway Code it states that its OK not to indicate when you think there are no other road users in close proximity to you? The Highway Code tells you when you should use them, it states nothing at all about when its OK not to. I think you're making a personal assumption in that regard and I don't think therefore the actual law would back you up on that as there is'nt a law on not indicating. Unless you can let us know which law you're referring to of course....

5. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    If an indicator is used but no-one is there to see it, will it flash? - Ancient Swindon Proverb ;D

6. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    As for car drivers vs bike riders........ We're all human, and we all sometimes make mistakes. If you drive like a twat or ride like one deliberately, then you're a twat. If you make a mistake when generally trying to be cautious, you are human. And it is acceptable.
    Well said

7. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky
    [quote author=Squashed_Fly link=1361444348/22#22 date=1361782553]
    As for car drivers vs bike riders........ We're all human, and we all sometimes make mistakes. If you drive like a twat or ride like one deliberately, then you're a twat. If you make a mistake when generally trying to be cautious, you are human. And it is acceptable.
    Well said
    [/quote]

And you can also buy a Twat Suit at any BMW motorcycle dealer today....... ;D ;D

8. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    Im sorry but no matter what the Highway code says if you dont use your indicators in my eyes your a TWAT!

9. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nico_stew
    Im sorry but no matter what the Highway code says if you dont use your indicators in my eyes your a TWAT!
    ;D +1

10. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    Mways--one flash of indicator and your clear to pullout >

and Plod pulled me in once for not indicating when no other vehicles around....except plod who must've interupted another doughnut/coffee break to catch my car up ..........obvio they look and could be an 'indication' [gettit ] of a pissed driver
    I need amusement in my sad life and it looks, very much, like you fit this requirement admirably..............begin the amusement!!!!!