Notices

Thread: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    Just to put the cat among the pidgeons, indication is only necessary when there are other vehicles around, within close enough proximity to be affected by actionds if you don't.

And what about pedestrians or cyclists that you might not have seen?
    It's not just other cars and bikes. You should ALWAYS indicate.

2. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    Banned
    It's just laziness not to indicate

3. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    Diamond Member
    Lol, I thought it would be too diffcult for some people to comprehend it's possible to be a biker and a driver. And yes, just as many bikers behave like dicks on the road as drivers do.

And I'm sure you are all perfect when you do both?

I've never "sat on the side of the drivers". There is no side. But do I operate more than one type of vehicle? Yes. Do I spend a disproportionate amount of time to most people on the road? Yes

So I'm not really sure what Scotty's post is about, other than his usual, 'I don't actually have a point to to make so I'll slag someone off instead' type of post.

If you refer back to the highway code, there are no specific rules about when you should or should not indicate, just that when it is of use to other road users. That is subjective to what you [think you] know about what is going on around you, and what you can see.

If you are unobservant, and haven't seen a car in your mirrors (or a bike), you don't need to indicate. However, and this the clincher, if your lack of observancy (and thus indication) was the contributing factor in an accident, then you could be prosecuted for driving without due care and attention. But not specifically for lack of indicator use.

That said, I do tend to use mine more often than not, not for any other reason than it's a habit when I'm turning. But if I'm crossing lanes on a motorway, and I can't see anyone close enough to me to be affected by my actions, then usually I wouldn't bother.

As for car drivers vs bike riders, get off your high horse and stop pretending you are a higher being. We're all human, and we all sometimes make mistakes. If you drive like a twat or ride like one deliberately, then you're a twat. If you make a mistake when generally trying to be cautious, you are human. And it is acceptable.

4. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_geoghegan
    [quote author=Squashed_Fly link=1361444348/8#8 date=1361550676]Just to put the cat among the pidgeons, indication is only necessary when there are other vehicles around, within close enough proximity to be affected by actionds if you don't.

And what about pedestrians or cyclists that you might not have seen?
    It's not just other cars and bikes. You should ALWAYS indicate.[/quote]

Just to clarify, I did mean from a highway code perspective, not my own opinion. However on a long strech of open motorway, there tends not to be too many pedestrians and cyclists (and I believe that's what the post was referring to -not turning left from a road or roundabout)!

5. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    Quote Originally Posted by monday21
    If you put too many animals from any species in to too small a confined space they will end up fighting with each other.

Humans are no different in that regard – our roads are too congested and over capacitated. I had never heard of the term road-rage when I started out as a road-user in the mid 70s, but now I witness it on a daily basis.

IMHO we will reach such a level of saturation on our roads that we will be faced with two choices. Either do nothing allowing the status quo of a gridlocked roads network to remain, or encourage more public transport use by making it a more affordable alternative.
    "To small a confined space"? Like this thread? Lol

6. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    *Too

7. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    Diamond Member
    R1Rich,

I don't understand what you mean? Please explain.

8. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    Diamond Member
    [quote author=Squashed_Fly link=1361444348/22#22 date=1361782553]If you are unobservant, and haven't seen a car in your mirrors (or a bike), you don't need to indicate. Personally, that's why I always indicate - its a good habit to have for the very reason you just outlined.

But if I'm crossing lanes on a motorway, and I can't see anyone close enough to me to be affected by my actions, then usually I wouldn't bother. I can't see why you would be changing lanes if there's no one around you? If you're moving out to overtake or moving back in after overtaking then surely there are others around who need to see an indication of your anticipated move across the lanes? /quote]

9. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly

If you are unobservant, and haven't seen a car in your mirrors (or a bike), you don't need to indicate. However, and this the clincher, if your lack of observancy (and thus indication) was the contributing factor in an accident, then you could be prosecuted for driving without due care and attention. But not specifically for lack of indicator use.
    Exactly why the use of indicators is good practise & you are thought to use them when learning to drive/ride.....!

10. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    Redken,

The confined space is this thread. As there has already been disagreements. That's all.