Notices

Thread: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    Finally, some people who agree with and can back up what I said!
    Remind me, and what was that again exactly. : ;D

2. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky
    [quote author=nico_stew link=1361444348/37#37 date=1361802194]Im sorry but no matter what the Highway code says if you dont use your indicators in my eyes your a TWAT!

What about fellow road users who simply indicate and go without any observation [/quote]

Ahh..now that's another question altogether, you're moving the context away from "do you" or " don't you" into one which is "you do, but you're doing it wrong".

3. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    And again im happy to say that in my eyes no indicator, no brain (from Nico_babe) using hubbie's laptop heeheheh
    When everything is coming your way...you're in the wrong lane.

4. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    [quote author=Nicky link=1361444348/48#48 date=1361814076][quote author=nico_stew link=1361444348/37#37 date=1361802194]Im sorry but no matter what the Highway code says if you dont use your indicators in my eyes your a TWAT!

What about fellow road users who simply indicate and go without any observation [/quote]

Ahh..now that's another question altogether, you're moving the context away from "do you" or " don't you" into one which is "you do, but you're doing it wrong".
    [/quote]

No not really.

Of course it's daft and potentially dangerous not to indicate if necessary, but, the point I am making is that it isn't always necessary to indicate.

Sometimes people who indicate without giving any thought to what they are doing and why (ie in particular checking what's behind/around them first) and just indicate and move are as bad as people who dont ever use indicators.

5. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    Diamond Member
    [quote author=BMWGraeme link=1361444348/51#51 date=1361823908][quote author=Nicky link=1361444348/48#48 date=1361814076][quote author=nico_stew link=1361444348/37#37 date=1361802194]Im sorry but no matter what the Highway code says if you dont use your indicators in my eyes your a TWAT!

[/quote]

No not really.

Of course it's daft and potentially dangerous not to indicate if necessary, but, the point I am making is that it isn't always necessary to indicate.

Sometimes people who indicate without giving any thought to what they are doing and why (ie in particular checking what's behind/around them first) and just indicate and move are as bad as people who dont ever use indicators.
    [/quote]

I think you are making an extremely valid point Nicky. When we use our indicators, we are merely alerting all other roads users and pedestrians within reasonable proximity to our vehicle, of our statement of intention. After indicating, whatever the manoeuvre, the driver/rider must then ensure it is safe to execute it before proceeding.

I always indicate prior to overtaking cyclists because I like to give them a wide berth allowing for any wobbles etc (especially on windy days). Additionally, it alerts (hopefully) other road users following behind me that a slower moving vehicle/cyclist/pedestrian is up ahead.

6. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    Quote Originally Posted by monday21
    [quote author=Nicky link=1361444348/53#53 date=1361864921][quote author=BMWGraeme link=1361444348/51#51 date=1361823908][quote author=Nicky link=1361444348/48#48 date=1361814076][quote author=nico_stew link=1361444348/37#37 date=1361802194]Im sorry but no matter what the Highway code says if you dont use your indicators in my eyes your a TWAT!

[/quote]

No not really.

[/quote]

I think you are making an extremely valid point Nicky. When we use our indicators, we are merely alerting all other roads users and pedestrians within reasonable proximity to our vehicle, of our statement of intention. After indicating, whatever the manoeuvre, the driver/rider must then ensure it is safe to execute it before proceeding.

I always indicate prior to overtaking cyclists because I like to give them a wide berth allowing for any wobbles etc (especially on windy days). Additionally, it alerts (hopefully) other road users following behind me that a slower moving vehicle/cyclist/pedestrian is up ahead.
    [/quote]

Thank you.

I also agree with you about our overcrowded roads - we're all like too many rats fighting in a small cage and it's getting worse. :'(

If the roads weren't half as busy it probably wouldn't even matter if people rarely indicated, and it certainly wouldn't get people so irate.

7. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 

I disagree. To assume that you're aware of every potential hazzard on the road is pure arrogance. That is the same attitude that the one flash wonders have as they shoot from lane to lane not giving a **** about the other road users.
    It might not ALWAYS be necessary but it's the law and to take it upon yourself to decide when the law applies to you is very bad form.
    I've had one crash and didn't hit my head. Does that mean I don't always need my helmet?

8. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    Diamond Member
    How about looking at it this way. Of course, there can be no argument that indicators should be used when necessary. Of course there can be no argument about the fact that they should be used properly and appropriately etc etc. The debate that seems to be running as an undercurrent through this thread is whether they need to be used if they're not necessary. My own view is similar to WB's in that as we're all human we can make errors. That can include errors with our observation of what's around us, so to be in the habit of indicating regardless of whether its necessary or not I see as a positive thing and a good habit to be in. This would be the correct and appropriate use of an indicator - I'm not talking about what happens when people don't turn them off or don't look before indicating etc.

Look at this way - what harm does it do to anybody if you indicate unnecessarily? Who's it going to hurt? Conversely, what harm does it do if you don't indicate and missed seeing the biker who's sat in your blind side and is commited to an overtake?

9. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    Diamond Member
    To be honest I'm completeley lost now on this thread :-[ :-[ :-[

I reckon I'll keep my :-X :-X :-X as I might be agreeing with comments I don't agree with. :P ;D

10. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    Banned
    The problem is that most people don't take pride in their driving, they just don't care. You only need to look at the state of their cars to see that.