Notices

Thread: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
  1. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    When I went for a ride with a police instructor on a Bikesafe day I was first off, police bike behind me and other punter behind him. After 2 or 3 minutes he put his blues and two's on and waved for me to stop which I have to admit was a bit unnerving (first time nerves). He came over to me and said that I'm not doing an IAM exam, he wants to see how I ride in the real world. So, off we set again and had a great 20 minutes or so of quick (but not illegal) riding and overtakes. At the end of that he said, that was very good, just a couple of points. I didn't indicate left when taking the first exit (which was straight on) at a mini roundabout as the oncoming traffic wants to know where you're going even if they are not going that way. Secondly he wanted me 12 inches further out to the right on left handers. I then had great fun trying to keep up with him as he took the lead to show me how far over he thought I should be.

Take from that whatever you will but in the case of the mini roundabouts, I wasn't indicating because I didn't think my actions were going to affect anyone else and he disagreed. Just goes to show its not all black & white I suppose

Everyone should have a go at the Bikesafe rideouts - a bit unnerving for a while but really good fun.
    He was using the system ie advising you to use your indicator to give information which benefited other road users, the oncoming traffic, but it isnt always black and white as you say.

The main reason for moving out in the road as he suggested is so that you can see more. Its amazing how much more you can see by changing where you are in the road. Thinking back that was another thing I found quite odd to start with.

They tend to ask you to ride as you would normally so that they can actually offer to help you. Its a bit pointless if you try and ride how you think you should ride, or as if you are on a traditional bike test. Its the same when/if you go onto advanced riding you don't really gain much if you ride completely differently then.

I started off doing a BikeSafe and yep agree entirely its great fun . I dont know why but of all the things that bother me having a Police motorcyclist behind me didnt/doesnt unnerve me at all especially when training as they are there to help and do tend to speak to you as a fellow biker genuinely wanting to help.

Advanced training is fun too (honest) I honestly thought doing my IAM test with a retired Police examiner behind me was brilliant. He told me at the start to relax, enjoy myself and give him a nice safe progressive ride (progressive means getting a shift on ) so I did Still amazes me how they get those BMW RT's to handle like they do, could put many sports bike riders to shame ;D.

If you do advanced riding you'll also find sometimes the person you are with will specifically tell you NOT to treat them as following traffic so that you dont give unnecessary signals that I did find difficult. I think RoSPA tend to do that more than IAM?

2. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky
    [quote author=BMWGraeme link=1361444348/79#79 date=1361970300]When I went for a ride with a police instructor on a Bikesafe day I was first off, police bike behind me and other punter behind him. After 2 or 3 minutes he put his blues and two's on and waved for me to stop which I have to admit was a bit unnerving (first time nerves). He came over to me and said that I'm not doing an IAM exam, he wants to see how I ride in the real world. So, off we set again and had a great 20 minutes or so of quick (but not illegal) riding and overtakes. At the end of that he said, that was very good, just a couple of points. I didn't indicate left when taking the first exit (which was straight on) at a mini roundabout as the oncoming traffic wants to know where you're going even if they are not going that way. Secondly he wanted me 12 inches further out to the right on left handers. I then had great fun trying to keep up with him as he took the lead to show me how far over he thought I should be.

Take from that whatever you will but in the case of the mini roundabouts, I wasn't indicating because I didn't think my actions were going to affect anyone else and he disagreed. Just goes to show its not all black & white I suppose

Everyone should have a go at the Bikesafe rideouts - a bit unnerving for a while but really good fun.
    He was using the system ie advising you to use your indicator to give information which benefited other road users, the oncoming traffic, but it isnt always black and white as you say.

The main reason for moving out in the road as he suggested is so that you can see more. Its amazing how much more you can see by changing where you are in the road. Thinking back that was another thing I found quite odd to start with.

They tend to ask you to ride as you would normally so that they can actually offer to help you. Its a bit pointless if you try and ride how you think you should ride, or as if you are on a traditional bike test. Its the same when/if you go onto advanced riding you don't really gain much if you ride completely differently then.

I started off doing a BikeSafe and yep agree entirely its great fun . I dont know why but of all the things that bother me having a Police motorcyclist behind me didnt/doesnt unnerve me at all especially when training as they are there to help and do tend to speak to you as a fellow biker genuinely wanting to help.

Advanced training is fun too (honest) I honestly thought doing my IAM test with a retired Police examiner behind me was brilliant. He told me at the start to relax, enjoy myself and give him a nice safe progressive ride (progressive means getting a shift on ) so I did Still amazes me how they get those BMW RT's to handle like they do, could put many sports bike riders to shame ;D.

If you do advanced riding you'll also find sometimes the person you are with will specifically tell you NOT to treat them as following traffic so that you dont give unnecessary signals that I did find difficult. I think RoSPA tend to do that more than IAM?

[/quote]

He wanted me on the white line rather than just inside it which is where I would normally be. I have in this case not taken his advice when my panniers are fitted to the GS as they are wider than his on the RT. Just can't bring myself to have the panniers on the other side of the road with oncoming traffic - I don't have the balls for that ;D

Can you keep the bit quiet about the Boxer twins a la RT, GS etc as being good handling bikes.....its nice to use as a surprise sometimes ;D

3. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    Hi everyone,

I just wanted to make myself clear when i started this thread that i said i get pissed off with drivers who:

Drift from lane to lane
    Dont indicate

Now before you draw up a scenario in your head, I live in North Swindon and work in Reading. So i travel 42 miles each way to work which consists of A419 and M4. I travel peak traffice times both ways. THIS is when im seeing lack of indication. So NO highway agency or law is going to excuse that!

4. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    [/quote]

He wanted me on the white line rather than just inside it which is where I would normally be. I have in this case not taken his advice when my panniers are fitted to the GS as they are wider than his on the RT. Just can't bring myself to have the panniers on the other side of the road with oncoming traffic - I don't have the balls for that ;D

[/quote]

I wouldnt either....if I had any ;D ;D

[/quote]

Can you keep the bit quiet about the Boxer twins a la RT, GS etc as being good handling bikes.....its nice to use as a surprise sometimes ;D[/quote]

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

5. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    what are indicators?

6. Re: Have people forgotten how to use their indicators! 
    Quote Originally Posted by newnut
    what are indicators?
    Dunno, haven't got any on my 1949 AJS
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”