Notices

Thread: Power gone mad or progress?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: Power gone mad or progress? 
    Don't worry, you will get the hang of it. It took me a little while & a few practices to get it right! you can always go back in and edit if you don't like the posted result. ;D
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

2. Re: Power gone mad or progress? 
    Platinum Member
    Thanks mate, I'm going to have dinner now, chilli :P

3. Re: Power gone mad or progress? 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebiker247
    Thanks mate, I'm going to have dinner now, chilli :P
    PS proberly a good job Ill be out in the fresh air tomorrow :-/

4. Re: Power gone mad or progress? 
    Must have been a good chilli then!
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

5. Re: Power gone mad or progress? 
    Diamond Member
    Just to add a bit more to this. When I was 21 and my CB900F was running sweet, it was said to be one of the fastest bikes around. 140mph and 0-60 in 3.5 secs. Now I rode that bike everyday, 12 months of the year as I had no other form of transport. I rode it on packed ice, slush, floods and everything else that was thrown my way. I considered myself a reasonably competent rider because I rode all the time. However, the one and only time I took that bike above 120mph, I scared myself silly and have never done it since. My point is that I was comfortable at speeds I was used to but once I went out of that comfort zone I was dangerous.

The accident statistics can make interesting reading. 25 years ago it was the under 19 age group producing all the fatalities. This was when you could get on a 250cc unrestriced bike at 17 on a provisional license and no training. That's how I learnt to ride. Now, the trend has reversed, in that many more accidents are involving born again bikers with lotsa money to spend now the kids have left home. The modern day sportsbikes are capable of speeds no one who rides only on weekends can either use proficiently or safely. And many weekend riders go out in company so there's competition, a bit of adrenaline and male pride and you have a dangerous recipe. The guys who take the training seriously, move up the cc range in progressive steps are the ones who will (hopefully) reach old age.

My soapbox and I'm still alive today to stand on it.

6. Re: Power gone mad or progress? 
    well said BMWgraeme you've hit the nail on the head, I ride all year round and don't know the full limitations of my machine, how can someone riding a fraction of tht time hope to have the knowledge of thier machine to back them up if something did go wrong.

7. Re: Power gone mad or progress? 
    I went from a sports 600 to an 1100 super tourer (or what ever the hell the blackbird is clasifed as), I ride slower now because I have nothing to prove and the bike is easer to ride slower because of all the torque it has. I hardly have to change gear any more!

8. Re: Power gone mad or progress? 
    Sounds lazy in a good ay, you can have fun if you want, but you can sit back as ell if the mood takes you.

Mine doesn't allow that kind of relaxed riding (ZX7R) but I enjoy the ride much more when I'm riding smooth and steadily fast rather than wacking open the throttle and scaring myself to death.

I find it's quicker when you ride smoothly but fast anyway, becaus eyou find your average speed actually increases.