Notices

Thread: EU making it harder to get a licence

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: EU making it harder to get a licence 
    defintiely worth campaigning for it BB, otherwise bikers will be even more discriminated against!
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

2. Re: EU making it harder to get a licence 
    How about getting biking recognised as a religion, then it would be illegal to discriminate against us!!

The motorcycle could be religious icon!

3. Re: EU making it harder to get a licence 
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesHockley
    How about getting biking recognised as a religion, then it would be illegal to discriminate against us!!

I like this ;D

4. Re: EU making it harder to get a licence 
    What about similar measures for cars?

When you first pass your test you can drive up a 1 litre.

You then have to pass a further test to drive up to a 1.6 litre.

And so on, see how that goes down with the tin top brigade!
    !

I agree that there should be some steps, but also thatcars should be subject to the same restrictions as the risk when crashing a car then falls not only to the person driving but more to the generalpublic as the car is likely to do more damage than a motorcycle.

I did the A2 license and had to wait to proceed up to larger capacity bikes and it saved me from killing myself on something that was far to powerful for my experience. I mean how many people on this site can honestly say they can use (safely) all of the power thier bike has to offer? very few and those that can, probably only can on the track.

my first biggish bike was an FZR 400RR and it made 65hp unrestricted,but even when it was restricted to 33bhp it still beat the arse of most cars and was still fantastic fun to ride.

I don't know however whether there should be compulsory testing at each power level because this will cost anabsolute fortune, which (typical of Labour) means that once again your average Joe won't be able to afford to ride.

I think that the steps should be based on the amount of time you have been riding. and I think that age shouldn't come in to it.

Is a gent of 30 more sensible than a lass of 18? the answers aren't clear cut. the best way is through experience every time!

5. Re: EU making it harder to get a licence 

This is also an excellent idea and I would like to know how I can enter in to this new faith...!

I am now a monk of the motorcyclian religion and you shall call me... phil!

6. Re: EU making it harder to get a licence 
    personally, i can only see good things with this as the way i've read it (and other articles on it) it means more training for people before they can jump on 150 bhp bikes, which can only be a good thing surely.

agreed it should be the same for cars as well, but anything that can decrease the amount of unnecessary accidents due to people attempted to ride powerful bikes way too early in their riding career and who basically can't handle or are unable to fully appreciate/utilise the power correctly in these bikes then i fully endorse this venture.

i don't think its a case of making it harder to get a bike license, all it is is preventing people from jumping off their CB500 after their direct access test at the age of 21 and jumping on a ZX10/gixxer thou etc

who would argue with that?

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

7. Re: EU making it harder to get a licence 
    exactly, the more training the better...and I dont think most sensible people would argue - afterall most of us lot are doing bikesafe this year!
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

8. Re: EU making it harder to get a licence 
    Diamond Member
    Amen Brother Phil!

On a separate but related thread, why dont the powers that be make CBT compulsary for car drivers as well as bike riders. Whats the point I hear you cry!

1. Car drivers would respect how bikes work!
    2. They wouldnt be such B*stards to us!
    3. The "Sorry mate I didnt see you!" excuse would go as they would be much more aware of bikes - I know I am as a car driver!
    4. We would get more people interested in bikes/the religion!

BB is SO right about getting in touch with your MP/MEP (providing you know who they are! Do you?) By making our voice heard & not just mumbling and whinging amoungest ourselves, THEY HAVE to act!!! Especially if enough people shout out loud enough!!

BB, thanks for letting me borrow your soap box, you can have it back now. Ive got to get a rub down with a damp edition of the Radio Times now to calm down!!

Ride safe! Ride Free!!

9. Re: EU making it harder to get a licence 
    As someone who is taking their CBT next week, I am sure I will not feel safe on the road until I have obtained my full licence. I sat on my partners Blackbird last night - how heavy is that??!! Wan't a good move for my confidence - was convinced I would just fall off and get squashed. I also agree the same thing type of thing should exist for new car drivers. And another thing, those 'P' plates are a stupid idea - you can keep them on as long as you like and it just gives them the right to behave like they are new to driving whilst making everyone else's life a misery on the roads.

10. Re: EU making it harder to get a licence 
    Diamond Member
    Good luck with the CBT next week. Bet you fly thru it! Piece of cake sweetheart!