Notices

Thread: bonnie is a bad influence!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. bonnie is a bad influence! 
    well after hearing your morini on friday and deciding that his standard pipes on his bonnie sound "like a wet fart", Paul decided to do something about it yesterday. he read that the original bonnie used as a beach racer didn't have any silencers at all, just the straight through manifold pipes...so off came the silencers lol

it's stupidly loud but sounds as good as any harley...and has also transformed the power of the bike. he has some other straight-through pipes on order at the mo so those should bring the noise levels down a bit, but it's incredible how much it changes the bike now it sounds like a proper cruiser!
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

2. Re: bonnie is a bad influence! 
    Diamond Member
    Good move that man!

3. Re: bonnie is a bad influence! 
    Platinum Member
    LOL!!! Good man!

4. Re: bonnie is a bad influence! 
    Bad influence indeed! wot little old me? lol

I must admit I just love the sound of that Morini myself and every time I ride it It is just so much fun! I think my bonnie sounds like a sewing machine!

Good on ya Paul! ;D
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

5. Re: bonnie is a bad influence! 
    Hmmmmmm and does the word not legal mean anything...

Most of the reason bikers get such a bad rap is because idiots flying around with silly loud pipes on their bikes.....or no silencers!!!!!!! Why not jus put up a sign saying "hey officer, look come pull me over, and while your at it nick me for anything else you can find wrong with muy bike"

Most decent Race silencers are not overly noisey which is why they are allowed on race tracks with noise limits.

It really does make ya laugh, the typical attitude of people.....oh it sounds sooo nice....and then complain when they get a ticket...
    Im sorry for the rant, but it really does annoy me. Its like the kids with little scooters with ****ed exhausts on....yeah you may think it sounds really good and all that....but it just attracts attention from the wrong people, which in turns show in a bad light for ALL bike riders....

Also do you not think the manufacturer developed the original exhaust to perform to an optimum level whilst keeping within the limits allowed in this country???

And anothing thing from a mechanic point of view....do you not think it is doing some harm to your engine....all engines rely on a certain amount of back pressure given by the silencer to stop pre detonation in the cylinder and to stop the unburt fuel in the exhaust from igniting and burning out exhaust valves....

Oh but its ok because it sounds good......hmmmm

6. Re: bonnie is a bad influence! 
    Ouch Gav........Live and let live? Lol

P

7. Re: bonnie is a bad influence! 
    Platinum Member
    Legal??? And i thought that I rode a noisy firebreathing missile cus' I was a rebel!!! :
    Gav,I think your missin the whole point about the motorcycling culture thing,you don't ride a motorcyle to conform.........Well I sure as hell don't anyway!! 8-)

8. Re: bonnie is a bad influence! 
    Gav, I agree with you re noise from illegal cans alienating people and I also knew that engine damage can be caused by poorly set up systems.

However I would just point out my Morini is 1977 vintage and replacement OE pipes & cans are not exactly an off the shelf item. The ones fitted are based on the originals and have been on there for many years and through several different MOT stations without any comments adverse or otherwise from any tester.

Personally I just love the sound of a vee twin Morini and coming from a classic bike background do not think they are particularly noisy, loud or offensive. You ought to be on the IOM ferry for the Manx GP when all the Brit stuff fires up, now that’s noisy!

My modern Bonneville is still stock and is quite likely to remain that way as I cannot be arsed to change pipes and or cans for MOT's.

Although I haven’t heard it I wouldn't mind betting Paul's bike doesn't sound any louder than a lot of Harleys. I know he told me he loved the sound of the Morini but I know he wouldn’t have changed anything expecting a modern parallel twin to sound like anything like an aging Italian vee!
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

9. Re: bonnie is a bad influence! 
    Diamond Member
    I have heard much worse than BB's Morini 3.5, usually a 4 cylinder at 12k rpm. Twins and triples can sound really nice without being excessive. The few of us who can remember a Laverda Jota on full song will agree I'm sure. I like to ride a quiet bike myself, but equally like to hear a good exhaust note whatever the engine size or configuration. Doesn't mean it's illegal or bad for bikers reputations. The legal side is relevant as is the technical implications of running without back pressure, but don't assume a Triumph twin with straight throughs is any more excessive than a litre bike and a Remus. And on a legal note, how many of us didn't break the speed limit last Friday? Which is worse?

10. Re: bonnie is a bad influence! 
    Platinum Member
    I'm with Gav and Graeme on this one, to me now, they are a bit like go fast tape and swinging dice,may look or sound good but what do they do for the bike long term and all bikers. :-[