Notices

Thread: 1st bike advice pls

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. 1st bike advice pls 
    Known Dabz on here for the last couple of years through car forums, now im looking for a bike and he sent me here for some advice

First prob being, i've NEVER ridden a bike before in my life, not even a 50cc or anything, so i have NO experience of riding a bike

I dont really wana do a full bike test as yet, as its a fair bit of money to me, and i dont wana complete the test to find out i dont really enjoy riding bikes, as its a fair bit of money to waste >

So my reckoning was that my best bet would be to do a CBT, and to get a 125cc bike to start with, just to see how how i enjoy it, and to gain some experience before moving onto a bigger bike if thats what i decide i wana do.

So next prob is what 125 to get, i know my way round cars, but when it comes to bikes i aint got a clue

From a bit of asking around, and looking on autotrader, i've come up with the following idea's: (bearing in mind i have about £1000-£1200 to spend on a new bike, maybe a little more, and want sumin as new and as fast as possible really ;D

Aprillia rs125
    Cagiva Mito
    Honda 125 cbr

From what i can understand the Aprillia rs125 + Cagiva Mito are both 2 stroke, and the cbr is a 4 stroke, with the 1st to bikes being around 30bhp, and the cbr around 12 bhp

But just seen this on autotrader and it seems a good buy ????

2001 HONDA NSR NSR125 R-Y 125 Rr,
    17,000 miles, 11 months MOT. 2 month Tax. Recently replaced brake pads, clutch, tyres and wheel bearings. Few scratches and small dent in petrol tank. Rides well. Am selling to get bigger bike. Watford Area. Please call mobile. £1,100. ono

Basically im just looking for ALL the advice i can for someone totally new to bikes

Thanks for taking the time to read this :-[

2. Re: 1st bike advice pls 
    Platinum Member
    Rich rides a little bike,he'll help ya mate.......... ;D ;D ;D

3. Re: 1st bike advice pls 
    After my CBT I was going to buy a 125cc to get experience before bike licence, but decided probably better to buy 500cc and learn on that as would quickly get bored of 125cc and I am not made of money. However, I was informed at the time that the 125's do hold their value well if you wanted to move on sooner than you thought. Nice bike tho!

4. Re: 1st bike advice pls 
    personally I would find someone to take you out on the back of a big bike and see if you like the feel of being on 2 wheels first of all

then I'd strongly consider that a 125 isn't going to be that quick and I know that with cars you like performance. For £1200 you could get a £500 bike, £200 on a jacket and boots and £500 on training

You could ride that 125 on a cbt alone, but is that adequate training to go out on the busy roads on 2 wheels? that's a bigger issue, but personally I think not...

in summary...what I did was got someone to take me out riding pillion, feel the power of 100+ horses on 2 wheels and you'll be hooked on big bikes

http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

5. Re: 1st bike advice pls 
    Another quick question, do bike value's change much around the year ????

ie are they harder to sell in the winter, and easier to sell for a better price in the summer, or are the prices pretty leval all year ???

6. Re: 1st bike advice pls 
    PS that NSR is a good looking bike! but be warned it doesn't sound as good as it looked being that it's only got a small engine. It's the 125 I'd go for though if I was buying one

7. Re: 1st bike advice pls 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabz
    personally I would find someone to take you out on the back of a big bike and see if you like the feel of being on 2 wheels first of all

then I'd strongly consider that a 125 isn't going to be that quick and I know that with cars you like performance. For £1200 you could get a £500 bike, £200 on a jacket and boots and £500 on training

You could ride that 125 on a cbt alone, but is that adequate training to go out on the busy roads on 2 wheels? that's a bigger issue, but personally I think not...

in summary...what I did was got someone to take me out riding pillion, feel the power of 100+ horses on 2 wheels and you'll be hooked on big bikes

Ditto!

8. Re: 1st bike advice pls 
    onfire23
    My Ist Bike was a Honda Hornet. Its up to you but you will only be changing from a 500 to a 600. From many of my mates experience a lot of them went downn the 500cc route and bought a 600 the following season.

SV650, Fazer 600 theres a lot of choice out there. Remeber plastics cost!

9. Re: 1st bike advice pls 
    Next question LOL

How much would i be looking at to do my full bike test, whats the process and whats invovled, and what kinda time scale ???

10. Re: 1st bike advice pls 
    most Direct Access courses are around £500 and can be done in a week! mine was:
    sunday: CBT
    monday/tuesday: out on 125s
    wednesday/thursday: out on 500s
    friday: test

I split mine over a few weeks though due to work...but most people do theirs in one go. that gives you at the moment a full licence to ride any bike...but beware they're looking to change the law soon to restrict what you can ride, so do it fast!