Notices

Thread: dabz's toys leave the pram

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Re: dabz's toys leave the pram 
    good post Chris, but surely being a local forum it'll be far easier to stop any cliques forming. its not as if we are all at opposite ends of the country.

you are right in saying the core users will have in jokes and that is something which is inevitable. but all it needs is a bit of get up and go from people to make the effort to meet up with the other members on the site when people arrange meets/rideouts and get more involved. the invitations are there.....people just need to take them up.

admittedly, i've been a bit slack recently with not meeting up with peeps, but i'm a geordie............everyone likes geordies..............don't they??

Again......good post
    Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

2. Re: dabz's toys leave the pram 
    Its a catch 22...

When a single group becomes very close, it becomes difficult for new people to enter into the group. The more effort you have to put in in order to become a part of this group, the less people are willing to try...so the tighter the original group becomes.

You also have to remember that what one person finds funny, another will find offensive.

Take Icey as an example, I'd imagine if people kept on about her 'only' having a 125 and how slow she must be, she would soon fail to see the funny side and give up posting.
    I'm sure some people would say this is fine, we don't need people who are easily offended.....but its impossible for someone inside the 'clique' to judge properly what is and isn't offensive to those outside simple because you don't know them.

So basically, people within the small ready-formed groups need to be a little more considerate to those outside, but thats not as easy as it sounds.....

3. Re: dabz's toys leave the pram 
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey
    Maybe I shouldn't be here then.
    What! Where did that come from!
    Steve

you make me dizzy running circles in my head
    www.speedsnap.co.uk

4. Re: dabz's toys leave the pram 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW
    You also have to remember that what one person finds funny, another will find offensive.
    of course mate, thats life surely. If everyone was the same then life would be extremely boring. Obviously no one wants to offend, but on the other hand, nobody wants to be stifled when they want to write about something.

Take Icey as an example, I'd imagine if people kept on about her 'only' having a 125 and how slow she must be, she would soon fail to see the funny side and give up posting.
    Is that what has been happening? Can't say I've noticed anything to be totally honest

everyone has been there or thereabouts in their biking education
    Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

5. Re: dabz's toys leave the pram 
    Oh dear....forum politics!

If theres one thing I've had to deal with on the internet in the past is forum politics!

The word 'Banter' is slung about like its a good thing. In reality, on an open forum, it very rarely is.
    For 'Banter' to work there has to be in-jokes, with in-jokes comes the cliques, when there are cliques new/iregular users feel excluded.
    When people feel excluded, they become excluded as they no longer want to join in. Then you are left with a single 'core' of users, or a clique which is difficult if not impossible for anyone new to enter into.

Unfortunatly preventing said clique from forming is neigh-on impossible on a 'local' forum as there will always be small groups of users who see more of each other than anyone else. If a clique involves moderators/admin then you may was well just restrict it to invitation membership only as you will run into the same issues over and over again.

But then, apparently, as I've been told on here, I don't know anything.......
    Banter is a good thing and no there doesn't have to be in-jokes, thats why it works. There are very few in-jokes on here, everyone is able to comment on almost everything on here. The only insider subjects that arise are those after a meet or a ride out. I don't see any cliques on here, there are a few that like to ride together, the guys on sports bikes i.e. the Gixers and ZXs and Blades etc etc have those bikes cos they want to ride a bit quick, or alot quick for some but they aren't a clique, they come to other ride outs and ride along with those who don't want to go so quick.

As I said before, if yu don't like that particular subject then don't go in it, or stop posting in it. But it would be a shame if people left just because of one thread that they don't like. Theres a whole forum out there to look at and contribute to.
    Steve

you make me dizzy running circles in my head
    www.speedsnap.co.uk

6. Re: dabz's toys leave the pram 
    I've only found this forum recently, and (although I haven't read every thread) I haven't seen anything particularly offensive. I am on a few other forums where there is offensive stuff, and I just don't bother looking at the stuff. I would find it offensive to see piss taking of someone on a smaller bike, as there's no need for it and it is only really benefitting the piss taker's ego.

Some other forum's do seem to have a lot of sexism & homophobia which is usually spawned from the author's own fears and self inadequacy, and these things seem to be thought of as a bit of a laugh, whereas racism at least seems to be seen by the majority as ramblings of dumbasses, and rightly so.

Whilst hating the above 'isms', censorship is not a good road to go down, as that road leads to the moderator becoming god and deciding what others should be able to read or not. Better to argue the case if you don't agree, although saying that, this often ends up with exchanges of silly insults and threats etc! Difficult one eh?

Just my twopenneth worth. I'll just get my coat...

7. Re: dabz's toys leave the pram 
    Its a catch 22...

When a single group becomes very close, it becomes difficult for new people to enter into the group. The more effort you have to put in in order to become a part of this group, the less people are willing to try...so the tighter the original group becomes.

I'm sure some people would say this is fine, we don't need people who are easily offended.....but its impossible for someone inside the 'clique' to judge properly what is and isn't offensive to those outside simple because you don't know them.

So basically, people within the small ready-formed groups need to be a little more considerate to those outside, but thats not as easy as it sounds.....

I'm new here and so far have declined to comment too much in this thread because of that, after all, I hardly know any of you!
    I have to say though, I can't see where you're coming from with that at all? You have just single handedly picked Icey out and written that she is slow and has a 125 as if that makes her a lesser forum member! Not only that, although I've been here only a few days, I have read a lot of the older threads and can see no evidence of anything even remotely like that having gone on, or of any cliquey behaviour :-?
    What I have seen is probably one member who comes across as a bit gobby and says things how he see's them.
    Personally I have no problem with that because I will happily return the compliment :-*
    I think a few people perhaps need to grow up a bit and stop taking things personally. Just remember, mostly people don't have the balls, even on a computer, to blatantly insult another person, therefore, you can consider most apparent insults to be jokes or sarcasm.
    If you can't hack a bit of backchat on a forum how on earth are you going to cope out there in the car park when someone makes a comment about your chicken strips, or the fact that your bike is obviously **** because it's not the same as theirs!
    At the end of the day, if someone pisses you off all you need to do is tell them so, either on forum or by PM. It aint hard people.

Jen.
    (Hard hat on and running for cover!)

8. Re: dabz's toys leave the pram 
    Platinum Member
    I've not been here long, i joined in hope of being able to be part of the ride outs and join into the biking comunity in the area as i enjoy riding a lot and don't have many friends who share the same passion.
    I've not once felt unwelcome, nor been unhappy with any content on this site.

9. Re: dabz's toys leave the pram 
    Platinum Member

What I have seen is probably one member who comes across as a bit gobby and says things how he see's them.
    Personally I have no problem with that because I will happily return the compliment Jen.
    (Hard hat on and running for cover!)

[/quote]Your gonna need more that a hard hat when i get hold of you goddamit!!! ;D

10. Re: dabz's toys leave the pram 
    Diamond Member
    I dont want to sound a wimp but I took a certain amount of flack for not having a bike on the road! A "biker" without a bike? Well as I keep bleeting on about the fact Ive now got a bike, BUT why shouldnt I OR ANYONE else be excluded from things for having a love of bikes even if they dont currently own a bike!

I personally think Icey is an asset to the forum as she is ALWAYS fun, bouncy, and a good giggle! Shes ALWAYS up for a larf! Good young blood in every sence! We need to encourage these people who are starting out not say "Push off, you ride a scooter/slow-ped" (force of habit - slaps own wrist!) "We only want big boys here!!"

We all share the same love of bikes and the thrill of twisting the throttle and feel the bike rise up and pull you off into the sunset! (Removes Rose tinted glasses, but you all know what I mean!) What does it matter in the grand scheme of things if you ride a 49cc moped or a 2300cc monster either which way its all the same. Who says size matters.... on a bike at least!

As I said before Dabz and Mac do a ****ing excellent job (as with all the Staff!) so lets keep them happy and they will do their best to keep us happy. Cut the crap and lets have some fun! If you dont like it - ignore it & if you do like it - JOIN IN...but just be carefull!!!