Notices

Thread: Comprehensive or TPFT?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Comprehensive or TPFT? 
    Diamond Member
    I'm really kicking myself right now. When I was getting my bike back on the road earlier this year I was out of work and just took out TPFT insurance with the idea of bumping it up to fully comp later. Cost was £76 versus £240. Then my bike was rear ended at my works car park 17 days ago. No real problem I thought as I had all the drivers details etc and there can't be any doubt over liability etc since I wasn't any where near the bike at the time. Damage is mostly cosmetic but expensive none the less.

Well, my bike has been sat at the assessors/repairers in Ringwood for 14 days now, and the estimate went of to the third party insurers 12 days ago. This morning I had a call from the driver who hit the bike saying she had just received a form from her insurers and can she have my policy number please? WTF! Over 2 weeks and she hasn't even filled the form in yet or admitted liability!!!

As soon as I get my bike back, I will bump the insurance up to fully comp. I'm lucky that I have a car to get to work in otherwise I'm really screwed since there is no public transport I could use. I know for some of you guys the insurance costs are huge but do bear in mind the additional costs you may have if your bike is off the road for 2 months.

And there could be no financial compensation large enough to make up for missing a certain PINK event coming up.

2. Re: Comprehensive or TPFT? 
    Platinum Member
    Is that the insrance company taking there time or the dappy women that hit your bike? go drive into her car see how shee likes it!

3. Re: Comprehensive or TPFT? 
    if i could afford fully comp i would, im lucky that i could get my car fully comp. every time i look at insurance for the bike fully comp is extortionate despite 5 years no claims, it being garaged and the security! my tpft rite now is 270 which isnt bad considering!

4. Re: Comprehensive or TPFT? 
    I paid £140 tpft, on the tt I'm looking at it'll be £195 tpft - I'd prefer FC but they want just ver £300 for that which I can't afford for something I use once a month at most.

my car is fully comp though, costs me £400 which isn't bad considering its value
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

5. Re: Comprehensive or TPFT? 
    Can't you badger the woman that hit you to sort the forms out, I'm sure her insurance company doesn't mind her tardiness as it means the money is in their bank for longer.

I've only ever insured brand new bikes as fully comp working on the premise that if it breaks/gets hit the harley isn't very expensive to fix however this isn't the case with faired bikes.

What bothers me is there is such a huge difference in price between TPFT to fully comp - often more than double just so that they will pay out more quickly in the event of an accident and sadly even those with fully comp find themselves battling.

6. Re: Comprehensive or TPFT? 
    for my tpft was £374 comp was £970 on a 2 grand bike. they wouldnt give me that money so i did tpft

7. Re: Comprehensive or TPFT? 
    Diamond Member
    Her insurance company is going to get another bill from me covering the extra cost of fuel for the car and the cost of road fund license and insurance while the bike is off the road. I got the impression that she had been waiting for me to tell her how much the repairs were going to be, expecting it to be minimal so she could pay cash. I don't know what the estimate is, but I know the mirror/indicator is 150 pounds unpainted, and a new pannier is 170 (just the one). Then there's a repair and respray to both the middle and lower fairings, plus the bar end weight and cover for the handlebars. And the alarm doesn't function properly now either so I'm guessing on at least 800 smackers for the insurance.

8. Re: Comprehensive or TPFT? 
    That'll teach her not to look for a bike then! :P £108 fully comp btw
    Steve

you make me dizzy running circles in my head
    www.speedsnap.co.uk

9. Re: Comprehensive or TPFT? 
    > i hate u, but then again i sposes u r old ;D

10. Re: Comprehensive or TPFT? 
    Platinum Member
    £1200 fully comp :-/