Notices

Thread: For anyone thinking of riding without proper kit..

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Re: For anyone thinking of riding without proper k 
    Quote Originally Posted by desmojen
    That's going to really smart in about, oooh, a second!

I used to have strong views about people riding with no/not appropriate safety gear. I don't so much now. After all, it's personal choice at the end of the day.
    Just bear in mind, all you guys thrapping around at high speed chasing Gb and rex, if you have an altercation with the scenery at those speeds you'll be lucky to walk away, kit or no.

Jen.
    Friend of mine fell off at a roundabout doing 10mph with full leathers - hit a kerb, knocked himself out cold for 10 mins, broke collar bone, arm in a few places, ankle etc. Still on crutches after 14 months.

Leather protects in a slide but can't really help you when you smack into something, even at modest speeds. Every time I am out being foolish on a bike I recognise the dangers & I accept them otherwise I would never go out. However I would be 'mortified' if I hurt somebody else in an incident, whether its a pillion or other road user, and that is my main issue when I am riding.

2. Re: For anyone thinking of riding without proper k 
    ChantelleT
    I think each to your own... I quite happily go pillion on anyones bike, but to take a pillion on my own bike i will be very cautious about. not because of my riding but being resposible for someone else when there are some real plonker drivers out there.

3. Re: For anyone thinking of riding without proper k 
    Platinum Member
    must admit i've riden with very little saftey gear a few times, always wear gloves though, don't feel right without them. got some funny looks going to the petrol station in jeans and t-shirt the other day. I don't tend to ride fast unless i'm wearing the all the gear though. I don't mind so much if come off but i wouldn't like to hurt someone else by doing so, when i got pillions i ride how they are comfetable, if i'm going too fast for them i slow down, they know the risks there are taking when they get on the back :-? silly people! :P

4. Re: For anyone thinking of riding without proper k 
    Rex is right, it is often the 'sudden stop' that causes the damage not the slide in full kit. Talking to the copper who attended my accident he reckons I was only doing 55mph at the time of impact and he reckons I slid about 50 metres down the road after head butting the deck! Fortunately I didn't hit anything else so only upper body injuries collected from the initial road impact

There was a bike accident in Bath last week, biker at speed clipped a car and the biker then hit a person waiting at a bus stop! How unlucky is that! I also heard about another incident of a bloke happily sliding down the road until he ran out of road and hit the chevron sign at the bend - very bad leg & pelvic injuries.

I must admit nowadays I tend to ride with full kit although I have been known to wear jeans on the classic stuff. I sure we have all ridden in 'inappropriate' kit at some point in our riding careers we all know the risks. It ain't clever that's for sure.

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

5. Re: For anyone thinking of riding without proper k 
    Punture_Pugh
    As a Motorcycle Rider Instructor for the last 8 years, you can only advise students what is appropriate clothing for riding bikes.

They'll always do what they want in the end. :

I have to say there's a rising trend for the younger riders to ride (after training) without a proper jacket (only a hoodie) and no gloves. It's the old "It'll never happen to me" way of thinking.

We had a low slider recently (10mph). Unfortunately for her she was only wearing thin trousers on her legs and ended up with 2 badly bruised and grazed knees. She learned the hard way. :'(

Now, it's a lovely sunny day, where's me shorts!!! ;D 8-)

6. Re: For anyone thinking of riding without proper k 
    gixerjonny
    I feel sorry for the people who have to pick them up after they come off. The people who patch them up if there is anything to patch up. through no fault of there own they get dragged in

7. Re: For anyone thinking of riding without proper k 
    ONFIRE
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey
    must admit i've riden with very little saftey gear a few times, always wear gloves though, don't feel right without them. got some funny looks going to the petrol station in jeans and t-shirt the other day. I don't tend to ride fast unless i'm wearing the all the gear though. I don't mind so much if come off but i wouldn't like to hurt someone else by doing so, when i got pillions i ride how they are comfetable, if i'm going too fast for them i slow down, they know the risks there are taking when they get on the back :-? silly people! :P
    Not forgetting 'Mikey' you're very much responsiable for those silly people?

8. Re: For anyone thinking of riding without proper k 
    Platinum Member
    they are also responsable for them selves. they don't have to sit on the back they chose too :-?

9. Re: For anyone thinking of riding without proper k 
    Quote Originally Posted by ONFIRE
    [quote author=mikey link=1159292483/0#12 date=1159429844]must admit i've riden with very little saftey gear a few times, always wear gloves though, don't feel right without them. got some funny looks going to the petrol station in jeans and t-shirt the other day. I don't tend to ride fast unless i'm wearing the all the gear though. I don't mind so much if come off but i wouldn't like to hurt someone else by doing so, when i got pillions i ride how they are comfetable, if i'm going too fast for them i slow down, they know the risks there are taking when they get on the back :-? silly people! :P
    Not forgetting 'Mikey' you're very much responsiable for those silly people?[/quote]

.......REALLY?????????????......... I WASN'T AWARE OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SILVER X

10. Re: For anyone thinking of riding without proper k 
    The Picture before she seems happy enough!!!

Shorts T shirt flip flops :-/ I guess she had the gloves on to protect her nails