Notices

Thread: Rizla Track day!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Rizla Track day! 
    Platinum Member
    Just thought i'd let you guys know about the track day I did with Rizla Suzuki at Mallory a few weeks ago.
    It was a full corparate event and all the Rizla boys were there.....JR,Shakey,Haydon,MacKenzie and some ex TT winner whose name I can't remember!
    It was similar to a normal track day,three groups (I was in the inters) but you had the Rizla boys leading the groups.
    I had JR leading my group and after the first session he came over for a chat.
    I asked him about a few things and then asked if he would take me out for some 'one on one' tution which he agreed to........
    Sufficent to say that after doing one session with JR my times improved by 2 seconds a lap straight away!!
    After the session,JR came over and suggested that I move up to the advanced goup as he could see that the inters were holding me up.......Well chuffed!
    The advanced group was being led by Niall McKensie who was very pleasant when JR intoduced me to him and said that I should fit into the group no probs.
    Out with the fast boys,I improved my time by another second a lap.......!
    All in all,it was a great day and at the end of It had improved my lap time by 6 seconds which was not bad as I had the whole Inters group beat in the first session!
    With thanks to Mac who came along and took the pictures and video.

GB.

2. Re: Rizla Track day! 
    Platinum Member
    100mph knee down at Gerrards!

3. Re: Rizla Track day! 
    Diamond Member
    Sounds like a good day out. I saw the Rizla event was advertised, but I couldn't justify the money for it which is a shame.

So what did JR tell you then that helped drop your times?

4. Re: Rizla Track day! 
    Sounds like it was a top day out...

5. Re: Rizla Track day! 
    Platinum Member
    Was more like what I learned from following him Scott........He took a much tighter line around Gerrards than I'd been taking plus was running wider coming out of Devils Elbow than me.......
    I did talk to him about gear choice around Gerrards......I was taking it in 3rd and felt that it was revving to high and that the slightest movement of the throttle would have me off!
    We talked about taking it in 4th which meant not changing down into 3rd at the end of the start finish straight (just before the entry to Gerrards) so no engine braking!!
    Took a bit of getting used too,braking then just throwing it in but by the end of the 3rd session,felt comfortable doing it and the lap times came down as a result!

6. Re: Rizla Track day! 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav
    Sounds like it was a top day out...
    Yeah it was,learned lots and JR is such a nice guy to talk to!

7. Re: Rizla Track day! 
    think the ex tt racer was probably trevor nation used to race the rotary nortons

8. Re: Rizla Track day! 
    Quote Originally Posted by jj
    think the ex tt racer was probably trevor nation used to race the rotary nortons
    I remember seeing him race them! Stirring stuff at the time!

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

9. Re: Rizla Track day! 
    Platinum Member
    Aha,yes it was jj,thanks!

10. Re: Rizla Track day! 
    late 80s early 90s amazingly fast and maybe the best sounding bike ever.. plus a local lad

I remember seeing him race them! Stirring stuff at the time!

BB[/quote]