Notices

Thread: My Novice Year in Formula 400

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. My Novice Year in Formula 400 
    Following on from a thread about racers and trackday's I thought I'd post this, i wrote it a while back after my season finished, enjoy reading it and i hope it gives you an insite into the world of a noddy racer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems a lifetime ago that I arrived to a bitterly cold Croft on the 6th of April. If I knew then, what I know now, as the saying goes. Stood on the pit wall shivering from the cold in my orange Novice bib, feeling completely out of my depth wondering why on earth I’d wanted to do this.

My first race went by in a blur of nerves, inexperience and euphoria, to just finish was the only goal I had, to finish anywhere but last was nothing more than a dream to me at that stage. The red lights came on, the noise was incredible, the red lights went off and I embarked on my year as a Novice Formula 400 rider.

My first visit to Mallory Park saw my first crash, oil leaked onto my front wheel which saw me sliding on my bum, a few cracked ribs and a bruised pride was all that was hurt. The bike wasn’t damaged and with encouragement from my friends I went out in the following race to bring home one of my best finishes at that point.

Cadwell Park has always been my ‘bogey’ circuit and I’m afraid 8 races there this year has done nothing to dispel that. However Cadwell holds some fond, if not wet, memories for me, this was where I started 24th on the grid and finished 10th in front of some of the 1st and 2nd place experienced racers. This was all done on dry tyres at a very wet Cadwell. Nice weather for ducks!

Donington Park holds a certain Kudos with me, it’s the first track I ever rode, I’ve watched my MOTOGP hero’s here many a time and I’ve always loved it. So much so, I also entered the Allcomers Race. This race consists of any level of experience on any size of bike. To my horror I saw I was only one of two 400cc machines in the race, everyone else was on a 600cc or above. I was scared, frightened and extremely worried as we lined up on the grid. But that race was one of my best and brought the biggest smile. As the saying goes ‘do one thing everyday that scares you’ how true, I remember thinking, as I passed the chequered flag to finished in the bottom quarter of the field – but not last by any means!

At Snetterton I collected my first trophy (3rd place novice). I carried that trophy down the pits with a grin on my face that nothing could remove, a few tears in the caravan and a huge swell in my chest I went on to bring home my 2nd trophy the following day – Snetterton will always be a special place to me now, all that hard work, effort, expense, blood, sweat, tears and determination resulted in two plastic cups that are currently taking ‘pride of place’ on my mantle piece.

I’ve never even seen Oulton Park, let alone raced there so I arrived for a day of practice before race day. I instantly took to Oulton and found the track to be flowing and fast. We woke up to a very wet day on Saturday. I started 16th and after two corners I was in 4th place! I was holding on to the front runners and on the 3rd lap I overtook the guy in front and this put me into 3rd, I was getting excited, giddy and emotional and trying to reign myself in and concentrate, then disaster struck. I lowsided at Druids corner (due to being slightly over enthusiastic on the throttle). This resulted in me breaking my wrist and my bike! People ask me if it’s a bad note to finish on (the last race being only 2 weeks after that so I would’t be able to race due to the injury) I say not. It was the first time I’d been at the front of the pack and it proved I can be competitive.

I’ve finshed in 5th place in the championship which was higher than I ever imagined possible at the start of the year.

So, to sum up, I’ve had a fantastic year, it was harder than I thought it would ever be but that also pay’s dividends on the happiness factor when it all goes well. There have been tears, tantrums, euphoria, fun and of course the nerves, it certainly pulls on your ‘inner’ resources – would I do it all again? OH HELL YES!!!

Roll on 2007

2. Re: My Novice Year in Formula 400 
    Well done Foo. Brilliant stuff, Good luck for next year!

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

3. Re: My Novice Year in Formula 400 
    Platinum Member
    10k........How much to run a thou then........ :'( :'( :'(

4. Re: My Novice Year in Formula 400 
    The price of the bike, then you've got your engine tune which will be between £500 and £1000. If you have a highly tuned engine you'll have to have it refreshed every other meet (another £500) a competitive engine will need refreshing once a year.

Then...............

Suspension rebuilt
    Race looms
    Race ECU

Race Entries - about £170 per weekend
    Fuel for the bike
    Fuel to get up there
    Tyres
    Brake pads
    Oil
    Van
    Caravan - a must!!!!
    Paddock Stands
    Tyre Warmers x 2
    Awning
    Tools
    Spare Lid, Leathers etc
    Generator
    Spares
    Fairings
    Tyres - £200 a set
    Wet Tyres - £200 a set
    Spare wheels

Spare fooking everything
    and that's not taking into consideration if ya crash or blow up an engine but most of the above you can sell after the year has finished and recoup some of the costs

If you wanna go do it, then go do it!!!!!!! Seriously, if you thought track day's were a hoot wait till you have a go at this....

5. Re: My Novice Year in Formula 400 
    Platinum Member
    I think I'm gonna faint....... :'(

6. Re: My Novice Year in Formula 400 
    gixerjonny
    Sounds great well done and best wishes for next season

7. Re: My Novice Year in Formula 400 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GixerBoy
    I think I'm gonna faint....... :'(

Now I know what you wanted Pinki for, you cunnin old fox!!

8. Re: My Novice Year in Formula 400 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebiker247
    [quote author=GixerBoy link=1162677795/0#4 date=1162680829]I think I'm gonna faint....... :'(

Now I know what you wanted Pinki for, you cunnin old fox!![/quote]
    A pit bike?

9. Re: My Novice Year in Formula 400 
    Platinum Member
    I'm sure it would be lot easier to ride round the track than the 'Missile'! :P
    On that note,was talking to Johnny on the way back from our track day at Silverstone yesterday and I've come to the conclusion that I'm too old and tired to commit to doing a proper race season......I was knackered after yesterday and really wouldn't wanna lose my weekends to racing...Its the only chance I get to catch up on my sleep! (I work nights)
    Of course,if someone would like to throw loads of money my way then I can give up my job and then there wouldn't be a problem! : ;D

Ps.I won't be holding my breath!

10. Re: My Novice Year in Formula 400 
    Congratulations on your first season Foo. Best of luck for next year.
    Steve

you make me dizzy running circles in my head
    www.speedsnap.co.uk